Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

On 8/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, taglovestocruise said:

. All this over one turtle that a green peace activist found and shoved a straw up it's nose.  happy cruising

 

It's not about PLASTIC.  It's about THIS video.  It moved a lot of people to ban straws. 

 

 

I'm okay with paper.  I'm not triggered by straws.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many straws went overboard?

 

Versus how many end up in the ocean from land???????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

How many straws went overboard?

 

Versus how many end up in the ocean from land???????

It was only one plastic straw . You should watch the video again . I think if it was your dog  your attitude would be different . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there's some kind of a dental/tooth sensitivity issue or if you're a little kid, why do grown ups need straws? Sure, the plastic pollution is a very real problem. Any effort to reduce the land fills is a positive move. But more to my personal aversion to straws ... over the long term, sucking away on those dumb things encourages lines around the mouth!! Nature is already being unkind, no way will I deliberately add to the great decline!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the sea turtle straw video. Horrifying and heart-breaking. Every plastic straw sucker should be forced to watch the clip, from beginning to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Um disabled people use them. The whole straw thing is incredibly ableist. 

 

Decent, easily storable, cleanable metal straws are getting cheaper.  That way there is no issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it causes an environmental concern when waste harms animals.

 

I took a pak of plastic straws on our last cruise.

 

Never used them.

 

Brought them back home.

 

The only time I thought I would use them was to enjoy a frozen strawberry daiquiri..............not needed.

 

Drank those beverages tooo fast ...................paper worked well.

 

Just saying.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, Pratique said:

It cracked me up too until I noticed that it was becoming political fodder. It's a way of scratching at something deeper.

It always is. With all of the campaign donations from top beverage distributors it will be a long time before we  start seeing plastic beverage containers being banned. Let's face it. It can be done. It wasn't too long ago that we used glass for liquids and laundry detergent was a powder in a cardboard box. The San Pellegrino I order comes in a glass bottle. Just saying...

Edited by Iamcruzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I agree it causes an environmental concern when waste harms animals.

 

I took a pak of plastic straws on our last cruise.

 

Never used them.

 

Brought them back home.

 

The only time I thought I would use them was to enjoy a frozen strawberry daiquiri..............not needed.

 

Drank those beverages tooo fast ...................paper worked well.

 

Just saying.

 

 

I actually think the ban on straws has caused people who would have never purchase a plastic straw to run out and buy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It always is. With all of the campaign donations from top beverage distributors it will be a long time before we  start seeing plastic beverage containers being banned. Let's face it. It can be done. It wasn't too long ago that we used glass for liquids and laundry detergent was a powder in a cardboard box. The San Pellegrino I order comes in a glass bottle. Just saying...

The New Hampshire Senate killed a bill that would ban plastic shopping bags and require restaurants to only give out plastic straws upon request. The Senate said 1) that the straw requirement was unenforceable and 2) that people were already voluntarily foregoing straws, so the law wasn't needed. It's easy to be cynical about this but if it's true that people are already giving up plastic straws then maybe that's a signal that this is something that will gain traction elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AC Stew said:

Just watched the sea turtle straw video. Horrifying and heart-breaking. Every plastic straw sucker should be forced to watch the clip, from beginning to end.

 

Only if you watch a cooking show on preparing fresh turtle soup. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work on a very large University campus and all University campuses in my state is the same.  Straws and throw-away containers are almost non-existent.  All food containers are now a paper material that breaks down easy.  About 100K people are surviving everyday without plastic.  The topic still cracks me up, because no one is suffering with this issue and most do not even notice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I actually think the ban on straws has caused people who would have never purchase a plastic straw to run out and buy them.

You are right, because I did exactly that. Kind of immature I realize. They had the kind that bends and I got nostalgic. 250 should last the rest of my days. I don't buy bottled water so I feel it's okay and I don't let others judge me because no one is doing all they could do.

Thinking about getting one of those Yeti insulated cups with a straw to take on my cruise. But, they are made in China. It's always something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about like being like every child in the rest of the world over 5 years old .... and drink out of the cup/glass.

 

Just an idea 🤷‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I didn't realize how important straws were to people. They really must be statement items now. Paper for the environmentally conscious and plastic for the smuggling Ludite crowd.

Mrs. Dawg and I are neither but we do have style so we are having custom made silver and gold plated straws made for our next cruise. Bloody Mary's taste so much better sucked with style!!!😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

I didn't realize how important straws were to people. They really must be statement items now. Paper for the environmentally conscious and plastic for the smuggling Ludite crowd.

Mrs. Dawg and I are neither but we do have style so we are having custom made silver and gold plated straws made for our next cruise. Bloody Mary's taste so much better sucked with style!!!😁

Be careful now.  Someone drinking out of one of those reusable metal straws fell and got stabbed in the eye with one of them, and it proved fatal to her.  😮

 

Banning plastic straws is nothing more than "much adu about nothing" in the big scheme of things.   It just makes liberals feel  so much better doing so.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Just watched the sea turtle straw video. Horrifying and heart-breaking. Every plastic straw sucker should be forced to watch the clip, from beginning to end.

I watched and was wondering how the turtle actually got the straw embedded as far it was in.  I actually thought that maybe someone had done this to the turtle.  Hope not.  Yes, I still use plastic straws.  They are what I prefer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can purchase a package of 100 of those flex y/bendy at the top plastic straws at your local Kroger food supermarket for $1.00.   🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Um disabled people use them. The whole straw thing is incredibly ableist. 

 

As I said before the cc police went all nannie state on this thread:  if you think I was referring to the disabled, you might be disabled yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...