Cruise Critic Community

We have just been watching a Channel 5 programme about the RSSC Explorer. On the programme on Friday, there was a block party. Does this just happen on the explorer or all RSSC ships? Only asking cos it looks great fun. Thank you in advance

On all Regent ships. It's great do not miss it, it's well flagged up on the daily passages and also the day to day show the CD does on TV channel 1-  you can't miss it as its on continuous loop!!

We have only been on the Voyager and there was one for each cruise. I believe it occurs on all ship. Actually met a couple from our city (pop. approx 35,000 people) at one of them. Lots of fun!

We were most recently (mid July) on the Explorer and we didn't have a block party. I'm guessing because it was so port intensive. Definately missed it. We'll be on the little Navigator in Oct. Hoping there will be one then.....Block parties don't always appear on every ship, every cruise.

been one on each cruise we are on. Usually about 6pm.

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

We were most recently (mid July) on the Explorer and we didn't have a block party. I'm guessing because it was so port intensive. Definately missed it. We'll be on the little Navigator in Oct. Hoping there will be one then.....Block parties don't always appear on every ship, every cruise.

Equally on 10+ cruises never not had a block party, across all 4 ships, best on Navigator - maybe because of central corridor. Poorest attendance on Explorer last year when only a few people bothered, never saw neighbours in one suite on an 8 day cruise.

We have always enjoyed a Block Party - every cruise, every ship.

Usually at 6pm on an evening near the start of the cruise, but not on the first night or the night of the Captain's Reception

My first Regent cruise will be next February, 10 days in the Caribbean.  Looking forward to a block party.  Other luxury lines poh--poh them...although once in Seabourn we had a great time meeting our neighbors.  Looking forward!

We were on the Explorer for 10 days in May and there was no block party

We've had one on every cruise we've been on Regent....personally I don't care for them-but that's me.

We enjoyed our block party on Mariner last year in August on our Alaska cruise. But on our recent Med cruise, we were on a long excursion during the day with temps in the 90's, and only wanted to shower and change during the block party so we skipped it. We've had a block party on Paul Gauguin cruises as well and we enjoy them. We have met people that we ate, drank and toured with on the rest of the cruise, and it's a good chance to meet the crew that we interacted with on the rest cruise as well.

Agree that not all itineraries have block parties.  We used to enjoy them (and most people still do) but, after so many cruises, we usually do not attend the block party, the Captain's Reception or the Seven Seas Society party.  However, we always attend the "top tier" events.

First time we were on Regent (was Radisson then) when there was a Block party announced we read the description of what would happen - and shuddered!  We stayed in our suite until it was all over.  A friend travelling on the same ship told us we were idiots and she had had a very nice time meeting her neighbours!  So next voyage we "intrepidly" ventured out, glasses in hand to meet the people around us.  We had a great time and are already looking forward to the Block Party on the Splendour in March.   The TV documentary gave a great impression of it and how it works and brought back great memories for us - including my meeting a woman from across the hall who had also grown up in Rhodesia!!

Obviously they only showed a small part of the block party but I did comment to my husband that everyone in view was already dressed for the evening.

In our experience, there has been a mix of attire - some still in their day clothes, others changed and ready for the evening, and a few caught in between in dressing gowns! 

It doesn't really matter, we've still had a great time and often the only occasion that we have met our neighbours.

I certainly wouldn't be seen in my dressing gown on TV!  Okay, perhaps if they paid me lots of money...

Actually, when the announcement for the Block Party is made, people are told that they came come out in their bathrobe and obviously some do.  Showing this on television without an explanation as people may think that it is okay to walk around the ship like that (and some people do).

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Actually, when the announcement for the Block Party is made, people are told that they came come out in their bathrobe and obviously some do.  Showing this on television without an explanation as people may think that it is okay to walk around the ship like that (and some people do).

I did venture out once in my 'comfort' shorts and an old Harley Davidson t-shirt.  Probably didn't make a great first impression but I like to think I made up for it with my impeccable manners and delightful conversational talents.  Oh, and my dashing good looks, too...not to mention my extreme modesty.

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I did venture out once in my 'comfort' shorts and an old Harley Davidson t-shirt.  Probably didn't make a great first impression but I like to think I made up for it with my impeccable manners and delightful conversational talents.  Oh, and my dashing good looks, too...not to mention my extreme modesty.

Wish that I could have seen you!  We rarely do Block Parties anymore (or Captain Receptions, the Seven Seas Society event, etc.). We have simply done it too many times.  It is a good way for people to meet their neighbors and many times they end up having dinner together, etc.  As I've mentioned before, we do not sail to make friends and are pretty much loners.  The friends that we made years ago are still our friends and we are always happy to see them.