Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ivyleaguegent

Crystal vs Silversea

Recommended Posts

Dwight, they have it at The Bistro.  I didn't taste it but heard great things about it.  I think I got photos of the various choices.  Just about everything is made on the vessels.  With very limited storage space it wouldn't be practical for them to get large quantities of already prepared ice cream plus they have the benefit of being able to take on items every few days.

 

Keith

 

IMG_7101.thumb.jpg.12b631938c40eb91a02cc29b70667699.jpgIMG_7102.thumb.jpg.65616937267b925196521335b9b58e83.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahogany, I think the comments by the other poster are way over the top; most notably the issue of Plantation life.

 

With that said I believe the poster is referering to an issue which SIlversea got in trouble for a few years back (it is noted on the sanitation reports) and on the Silversea Board where they were storing various foods in crew members quarters.  It is pretty disgusting.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/24/travel/luxury-cruise-inspection/index.html

 

I believe this is the CDC report.

 

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAzOTQ%3d-n6DxX6qpl9c%3d

 

More recently different ship there were quite a few issues.

 

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA3Mzk%3d-ePMS%2f0ScIPI%3d

 

More.

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/04/articles/disease/another-silversea-cruises-ship-flunks-usph-sanitation-inspection/

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm never sure of my facts.  The saddest part is that the 8 month contracts are often extended by the company.      On SS, It's the food that they store in crew cabins prior to inspections that got them in trouble.   Agree with your last sentence.

 

You'll have a good time on your next cruise.....that's a fact.

 

Thanks Keith....typing same time.

Edited by saminina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it has been a year now since Royal Caribbean bought a majority ownership in Silversea, I'd be surprised if some of the "problems" from the past will continue to occur. Of course, I could be wrong.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, saminina said:

I'm never sure of my facts.  The saddest part is that the 8 month contracts are often extended by the company.      On SS, It's the food that they store in crew cabins prior to inspections that got them in trouble.   Agree with your last sentence.

 

You'll have a good time on your next cruise.....that's a fact.

 

Thanks Keith....typing same time.

When you say contracts which of the two cruise lines are you referring to?

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silversea

 

To be clear, it's the management and the management style of Silversea that I am bashing.  Have been for years and will continue until it has improved.

Edited by saminina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Shadow right before they flunked the health inspection. We were Singapore to Hong Kong. The water in the bathroom sinks was brown, yes, brown. We were told it was perfectly okay. We were not impressed in anyway, and walked away from a $2000 future cruise voucher. I know they have new ownership, but would not go on them again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose this is not the best time to say that we have signed up for our first Silversea cruise.  It will be the first time we have sailed on another line in many years.  It's a seven day cruise on the Wind from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale.  Lack of entertainment won't be a problem because we will be with special friends.  Also, a lazy type getaway after Christmas is always a good thing.  The real temptation was the deal we got---almost couldn't afford to stay at home!  Know it won't be Crystal, but we will enjoy it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Memlin said:

I suppose this is not the best time to say that we have signed up for our first Silversea cruise.  It will be the first time we have sailed on another line in many years.  It's a seven day cruise on the Wind from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale.  Lack of entertainment won't be a problem because we will be with special friends.  Also, a lazy type getaway after Christmas is always a good thing.  The real temptation was the deal we got---almost couldn't afford to stay at home!  Know it won't be Crystal, but we will enjoy it!

Knowing you both I am sure you will have a very nice time and traveling will special friends will make it a nice cruise.

 

Miss you both.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saminina said:

Silversea

 

To be clear, it's the management and the management style of Silversea that I am bashing.  Have been for years and will continue until it has improved.

I thought your comments were all about Silversea but wasn't sure on one of them so very glad you cleared that up.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Memlin said:

I suppose this is not the best time to say that we have signed up for our first Silversea cruise.  It will be the first time we have sailed on another line in many years.  It's a seven day cruise on the Wind from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale.  Lack of entertainment won't be a problem because we will be with special friends.  Also, a lazy type getaway after Christmas is always a good thing.  The real temptation was the deal we got---almost couldn't afford to stay at home!  Know it won't be Crystal, but we will enjoy it!

You may have a totally different experience  than others

Sometimes reading reviews  of the same cruise I wonder if we were on the same ship

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

 

This will be our 1st Crystal cruise & I am sure it will be just fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some of the best service on any cruise line from "a bunch of Filipinos" on Silversea. And I saw more smiles from them than from the "bunch of caucasians" on other lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Mahogany, I think the comments by the other poster are way over the top; most notably the issue of Plantation life.

 

With that said I believe the poster is referering to an issue which SIlversea got in trouble for a few years back (it is noted on the sanitation reports) and on the Silversea Board where they were storing various foods in crew members quarters.  It is pretty disgusting.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/24/travel/luxury-cruise-inspection/index.html

 

I believe this is the CDC report.

 

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAzOTQ%3d-n6DxX6qpl9c%3d

 

More recently different ship there were quite a few issues.

 

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA3Mzk%3d-ePMS%2f0ScIPI%3d

 

More.

 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/04/articles/disease/another-silversea-cruises-ship-flunks-usph-sanitation-inspection/

 

Keith

Thanks Keith for the clarification. As always, nice to hear from the adult in the room. Yes, I admit I was a bit strident in my post. And I am appalled to read the poor sanitation reports. Maybe with all this media exposure, my voyage next week on the Muse will be safe! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wripro said:

I've had some of the best service on any cruise line from "a bunch of Filipinos" on Silversea. And I saw more smiles from them than from the "bunch of caucasians" on other lines!

"Oh yes, that is Mr. Henry" as one of the bunch pointed you out to me about sixteen years ago.  Correct, they were all smiles.   I like the crew.....it's the management that creates a serious problem.  And one of the problems was when they switched out the European crew, including entertainers.  IMO, the best hotel managers on SB and Crystal have had that position with SS.   A good hotel director does not stay with SS so long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wripro said:

I've had some of the best service on any cruise line from "a bunch of Filipinos" on Silversea. And I saw more smiles from them than from the "bunch of caucasians" on other lines!

My experience as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All my observations are, of course, through my own lens of preferences, exposure to luxury travel, interests, etc. so one needs to take that into account when considering a cruise product. So that said in my experience the food on both lines is generally 

comparable with the edge given to Crystal in the specialty dining venues...though please consider that I am an unabashed food snob and excellent cook and found food to be basically okay on Crystal and SS.  I enjoy smaller ships, bigger suites and excellent service so I prefer SS.  I have found more interesting itineraries on SS vs Crystal.  Agree there are more activities on sea days with Crystal but my next SS cruise will be on the Cloud Expedition and I am expecting more options on sea days.  Also, if entertainment is important Crystal definitely wins that category with the main theatre being larger and with all the bars having entertainment.  On Crystal I found the ever-present photographer to be annoying which seemed to cheapen the experience.  On the other hand, the gyms are bigger and better equipped on Crystal.  Many of the differences between the two lines are more a function of the size difference of the ships.

 

Neither line is terrible!  Have fun deciding.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would also like to mention I much preferred afternoon tea on SS rather than the assembly line at Crystal with the silly costumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Would also like to mention I much preferred afternoon tea on SS rather than the assembly line at Crystal with the silly costumes.

The afternoon tea you're referring to on Crystal is the Mozart tea which is only served once per cruise. The normal daily afternoon tea is table service, and no costumes. Actually the wait staff wear very smart tuxedos and they have just changed the style of food service to a tiered tray containing an assortment of sandwiches, scones and small cakes. It's a lovely experience and one that we prefer to the Mozart tea. Here's a picture of the tiered tray of goodies - this was to serve 3.

 

fullsizeoutput_2c0.thumb.jpeg.dfafa51303b1b86c4fad520b602e7c20.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shriin, thank you for clarifying that costumes are only worn once per cruise.  I was getting ready to just do that.  

 

Mahongany, I wish you a wonderful cruise.  Enjoy every minute.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

The afternoon tea you're referring to on Crystal is the Mozart tea which is only served once per cruise. The normal daily afternoon tea is table service, and no costumes. Actually the wait staff wear very smart tuxedos and they have just changed the style of food service to a tiered tray containing an assortment of sandwiches, scones and small cakes. It's a lovely experience and one that we prefer to the Mozart tea. Here's a picture of the tiered tray of goodies - this was to serve 3.

 

fullsizeoutput_2c0.thumb.jpeg.dfafa51303b1b86c4fad520b602e7c20.jpeg

 

So that’s good news.  More similar to SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

The afternoon tea you're referring to on Crystal is the Mozart tea which is only served once per cruise. The normal daily afternoon tea is table service, and no costumes. Actually the wait staff wear very smart tuxedos and they have just changed the style of food service to a tiered tray containing an assortment of sandwiches, scones and small cakes. It's a lovely experience and one that we prefer to the Mozart tea. Here's a picture of the tiered tray of goodies - this was to serve 3.

 

 

Can you choose what goes on the tray or is it a  tray prepared in advance ??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

Here's a picture of the tiered tray of goodies - this was to serve 3.

 

fullsizeoutput_2c0.thumb.jpeg.dfafa51303b1b86c4fad520b602e7c20.jpeg

 

 

Which of the ships was this on? I’d heard they’d changed it on one recently but it was the traditional tray service on Symphony back in May so just wondering if they’ll move to this arrangement on both the ships 

 

Personally I prefer selecting from a tray as I only have the sandwiches and never the cakes or scones so if they were bought “pre configured” it would result in a lot of waste 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Which of the ships was this on? I’d heard they’d changed it on one recently but it was the traditional tray service on Symphony back in May so just wondering if they’ll move to this arrangement on both the ships 

This was on Serenity and I too hope they do the same thing on Symphony. When asked  what tea/bevridges you would like that would be the time to chime in with what you want on your tray and how much and they will then prepare it as requested. I don't believe they are all pre-prepared. We didn't request anything in particular and the image was what was served for 3 people but I'm sure you can tailor it before it is bought out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I much prefer to pick and choose (and more is always available should seconds be desired) than have a large quantity placed in front of me. I hope they don't bring this preset service to the Symphony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

This was on Serenity and I too hope they do the same thing on Symphony. When asked  what tea/bevridges you would like that would be the time to chime in with what you want on your tray and how much and they will then prepare it as requested. I don't believe they are all pre-prepared. We didn't request anything in particular and the image was what was served for 3 people but I'm sure you can tailor it before it is bought out.

That tray service would make me very unhappy, especially if I couldn't choose what I wanted.

I don't eat any of the pastries, and I'm allergic to several of the sandwiches as well as the fact I don't eat meat. 

Add to that, I come specifically for the scones and that tray would have me walking out unhappy.

On our last cruise on Symphony in July, the service was as it always is. Hoping this on Serenity is an anomaly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...