Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Responder

Possible hurricane

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Keeping our fingers crossed, right now from what I have read, l'm figuring that Dorian will break up when it hits Haiti later on in the week and then it will  become a tropical depression, no reason for the ship not to sail in those conditions, in fact on Saturday morning Dorian should still be in the Bahamas.

Edited by MISTER 67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, kearney said:

. if I lived in an area that might suffer a hit... I probably would not go during hurricane season. It is one thing to take a risk on your vacation... but another to leave your home unprotected and not knowing what you are going toface when you get home...

I guess we are all different.  I am ready to sail away!   With technology today and proper planning you always know what you are facing upon return. The odds on a direct hit are very slim and you often end up miles away from the eye walls and worst winds.   No one with any brains leaves their house unprotected from Hurricanes down here!  I have helped less fortunate people get plywood even to prepare.  We all pull together before, during and after the storms.  All I am worried about is the Equinox lol

Edited by Nymich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good place to keep updated on what is happening with Dorian:

 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

 

Hope everybody makes it on their ship and all have a great cruise!

 

(Just a funny coincidence I noticed when scanning through the TCM (Turner Classic Movies) site for any movies I might want to DVR - when Dorian might be lurking off the coast down here in FL this Sunday, the movie playing at 10:00 AM is "The Picture of DORIAN Gray" LOL :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nymich said:

Tell that to Katrina and Andrew.  Down here we learn to be ready no matter what the month.  I know the media loves to sell watch out for peak season blah blah blah.

 

We are actually booked for sat on the Equinox so whatever happens we are ok.  Once a ship sails they will always try to keep you safe.  If I did not live here I might be hesitant to book during hurricane season because that seems like a big pain with the travel problems etc,...….  Living here is easier if we do sail I prepare the house give the key to people watching it and off we go!  

 

Yup.  My response to all who said to me--why are you sailing during hurricane season? was that the ship can move.  My condo can't.  I put the hurricane shutters down and head out.  Doesn't hurt that there are nice Florida resident discounts during hurricane season as well.  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My helpful hurricane cruise tip...if you drive to port, even if there’s no hurricane in sight, leave your car with a full gas tank! We parked in Bayonne, cruised to Bermuda, Irene hit, we spent an extra day at sea because the Port was closed. Everyone was concerned that their cars would be floating in the sea level parking lot. Big cheer when the captain announced no damage to cars. But there was no power from NJ all the way up the coast, so no service stations. Spent some time worrying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Nymich said:

We are actually booked for sat on the Equinox so whatever happens we are ok.  Once a ship sails they will always try to keep you safe.  If I did not live here I might be hesitant to book during hurricane season because that seems like a big pain with the travel problems etc,...….  Living here is easier if we do sail I prepare the house give the key to people watching it and off we go!  

We're B2B after your sailing - so watching to see if Celebrity alters your sailing like RCCL and Disney have done for eastern carib. sailings and if it will impact embarkation/debarkation for y'all

Like you- the house will be prepped anyway for our departure--trash out/no leftovers in fridge etc. There isn't anything in the yard thats going anywhere and our biggest threat would be roof damage from the river birches which we can do nothing about...If power was to be out--then not being here is better as the fridge/freezer stays closed/cold for days. 

We've never boarded up even for a direct hit potential... 

We do take pics/video of house contents if there are storms out there. 

Hope Dorian to be a non issue. Fingers crossed. Path seems to have shifted north-west to cut across the state

 

Edited by Fogfog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the Equinox now and the possible tropical storm, or hurricane, hasn’t been mentioned.

We were in Costa Maya today an it was hot and humid. I don’t know if it meant anything but it was quite windy, at times, and the water was pretty choppy. First time I could feel “the motion of the ocean”, on the ship, while tied up to the pier.

On the way to Cozumel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

We are on the Equinox now and the possible tropical storm, or hurricane, hasn’t been mentioned.

We were in Costa Maya today an it was hot and humid. I don’t know if it meant anything but it was quite windy, at times, and the water was pretty choppy. First time I could feel “the motion of the ocean”, on the ship, while tied up to the pier.

On the way to Cozumel.

We were on the Edge in January in Costa Maya and our aft cabin was so rough we couldn’t stay in it until we sailed away.  It was rougher than most bad seas we’ve encountered.  The humidity is just part of sailing to the Caribbean in August.  My guess is that Cozumel will be calmer.  Good luck with the rest of your cruise..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a little more nervous now as they are predicting it will be a hurricane once it arrives in Florida on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone have experience with what happens? Delay? I doubt we'll be rerouted to Western Caribbean since the hurricane will be gone but I think we might have a delayed departure. Looks like we will most likely make it to Florida on Friday afternoon with no problem. Eek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gishua_ said:

Getting a little more nervous now as they are predicting it will be a hurricane once it arrives in Florida on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone have experience with what happens? Delay? I doubt we'll be rerouted to Western Caribbean since the hurricane will be gone but I think we might have a delayed departure. Looks like we will most likely make it to Florida on Friday afternoon with no problem. Eek

We just have to keep watching because these storms move and change.  Right now I think you make it in Friday no problem.  I am less convinced we head to the east as I think they will have to wait on the reports from the ports in San Juan, St Thomas and Tortola to see if they are fine to operate.  In addition they might not want to risk squeezing between the storm and Cuba to head that way.  All this is just my opinion and things could change within hours.  I am also not sure we leave Saturday but it'slooking better as things have shifted North...…..for now.   Time will tell.

 

This is a first for me where it was coming our way and I have the shutters ready but it is crossing over ALL four of the ports we are heading to!  If we leave on time Saturday and go to all those ports it will be a miracle.

Edited by Nymich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gishua_ said:

Getting a little more nervous now as they are predicting it will be a hurricane once it arrives in Florida on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone have experience with what happens? Delay? I doubt we'll be rerouted to Western Caribbean since the hurricane will be gone but I think we might have a delayed departure. Looks like we will most likely make it to Florida on Friday afternoon with no problem. Eek

A lot of discussion and charts in posts on "hurricane zone" here on CC as there are folks who don't know if they are or are not boarding on Satudary/Sunday for 3-4 day sails to Bahamas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live on St. Simons Island, GA and then storm is predicted to come our way, likely to make landfall south of Jacksonville, FLA.

 

Probably at a Cat 2, of course, it could turn north and east like make coming up the Atlantic coast do, or hit is straight on.  We have evacuated twice in the past three years and may have to do so with our three cats, etc. It is never fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We live on St. Simons Island, GA and then storm is predicted to come our way, likely to make landfall south of Jacksonville, FLA.

 

Probably at a Cat 2, of course, it could turn north and east like make coming up the Atlantic coast do, or hit is straight on.  We have evacuated twice in the past three years and may have to do so with our three cats, etc. It is never fun.

Just came from a Walmart-Publix and gas run. It's crazy out there. We are south of you.

Waiting for the next update. We don't sail for another week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fogfog said:

Just came from a Walmart-Publix and gas run. It's crazy out there. We are south of you.

Waiting for the next update. We don't sail for another week

Hope for the best for you and everyone in the potential path and for those cruising. Glad you were able to get stocked up and gassed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Hope for the best for you and everyone in the potential path and for those cruising. Glad you were able to get stocked up and gassed up.

Was crazy in Walmart... though Publix not quite as busy yet. Plenty of people getting gas.

While it's days away-- no sense waiting til the weekend. We now have far more water/gatorade and Diet Dr Pepper than we'd use.

Also--I had stocked the wine room wall and wine cooler during a big sale/pts bonus at Total Wine last week and we are good to go on that. I  just remembered I need cucumber and line for Pimms cup-- so may make a rn for that!

We have a gas range in the kitchen so picked up a lighter and we have a nice outdoor grill --so set there.

Picked up some crackers and chips as we have plenty of cheeses/coldcuts etc.

If it looks like we are going to take a hit I will likely pre-cook some pork tenderloin or a beef pichana in the Sous Vide on Sunday. No sense in not eating well while we play cards/read.

We sail a week from Saturday for a B2B.  So for us--this is better timing (assuming Dorian isn't strong and we get no damage)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Was crazy in Walmart... though Publix not quite as busy yet. Plenty of people getting gas.

While it's days away-- no sense waiting til the weekend. We now have far more water/gatorade and Diet Dr Pepper than we'd use.

Also--I had stocked the wine room wall and wine cooler during a big sale/pts bonus at Total Wine last week and we are good to go on that. I  just remembered I need cucumber and line for Pimms cup-- so may make a rn for that!

We have a gas range in the kitchen so picked up a lighter and we have a nice outdoor grill --so set there.

Picked up some crackers and chips as we have plenty of cheeses/coldcuts etc.

If it looks like we are going to take a hit I will likely pre-cook some pork tenderloin or a beef pichana in the Sous Vide on Sunday. No sense in not eating well while we play cards/read.

We sail a week from Saturday for a B2B.  So for us--this is better timing (assuming Dorian isn't strong and we get no damage)

 

Gee, wish I lived closer - sounds like your house is the place to be!  Very important to stock up on wine before the storm... 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Gee, wish I lived closer - sounds like your house is the place to be!  Very important to stock up on wine before the storm... 🙂

Being without AC is no fun.

So best to have the rest nailed down. 

The stock up on wine is serendipity 🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal favorite hurricane or power loss tip is to buy a USB fan.  Some of our wireless speakers are also power banks and we have some other power banks too to keep phones charged.  Being able to have a breeze during a power outage makes all the difference in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal favorite hurricane tip is to fill the bathtub.  You can use the water to flush the toilets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gishua_ said:

Getting a little more nervous now as they are predicting it will be a hurricane once it arrives in Florida on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone have experience with what happens? Delay? I doubt we'll be rerouted to Western Caribbean since the hurricane will be gone but I think we might have a delayed departure. Looks like we will most likely make it to Florida on Friday afternoon with no problem. Eek

Everything I'm seeing right now is that Dorian will hit Florida somewhere on the Space Coast Monday morning around 8AM. As of now they are predicting a Cat 2 and maybe a 3. If the tracking stays on course it should not effect the sailing of Equinox. Not sure what will happen to the Eastern Itinerary. My guess is that that they can take the route that goes along the Cuban northern coast and looking at wind charts as of now there should be no tropical or hurricane force winds along that route. What could alter the itinerary is how much damage that Puerto Rico, St, Thomas and the BVI sustain.

I monitor the National Hurricane Center and have been ever since we moved to Florida in 1993. IMHO, they are the most accurate and trusted organization when tracking hurricanes. 

Edited by MISTER 67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure like what Mister 67 has to say...  We are flying in from California and due to land in Fort Lauderdale at 5:30 am on Saturday morning...  Coming from my neck of town, I'm used to earthquakes so a hurricane scares the heck out of me!  We have been on more than 25 cruises and this will be a first for us cutting it this close.  I'm beginning to think  my husband and I are jinxed as we were supposed to sail on the Xpedition in the Galapagos this past June.  That sailing was cancelled at the last minute, so I quickly booked this cruise for some water time until we go again in November.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our flight is not delayed and we all actually get on the ship and out to sea before anything too bad happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hockeymom32 said:

I sure like what Mister 67 has to say...  We are flying in from California and due to land in Fort Lauderdale at 5:30 am on Saturday morning...  Coming from my neck of town, I'm used to earthquakes so a hurricane scares the heck out of me!  We have been on more than 25 cruises and this will be a first for us cutting it this close.  I'm beginning to think  my husband and I are jinxed as we were supposed to sail on the Xpedition in the Galapagos this past June.  That sailing was cancelled at the last minute, so I quickly booked this cruise for some water time until we go again in November.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our flight is not delayed and we all actually get on the ship and out to sea before anything too bad happens.

 

I have to hand it to you that's putting a lot of trust in everything to arrive the day of a cruise after traveling the whole width of the Country!   We are heading out to Cali next year and we will spend two overnights prior just to adjust to the time change and also in case of cancelations due to mechanicals or weather etc......We worked in the airline industry many years and had all kinds of delays and problems to deal with and explain to passengers.   We just don't want the added stress.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mafig said:

My personal favorite hurricane tip is to fill the bathtub.  You can use the water to flush the toilets.

 

We have never lost water during a hurricane. If you're on a well, this is good advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hrhdhd said:

 

We have never lost water during a hurricane. If you're on a well, this is good advice.

We lost water for three weeks after Hurricane Charley.  We're not on a well. 

No electricity either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Everything I'm seeing right now is that Dorian will hit Florida somewhere on the Space Coast Monday morning around 8AM. As of now they are predicting a Cat 2 and maybe a 3. If the tracking stays on course it should not effect the sailing of Equinox. Not sure what will happen to the Eastern Itinerary. My guess is that that they can take the route that goes along the Cuban northern coast and looking at wind charts as of now there should be no tropical or hurricane force winds along that route. What could alter the itinerary is how much damage that Puerto Rico, St, Thomas and the BVI sustain.

I monitor the National Hurricane Center and have been ever since we moved to Florida in 1993. IMHO, they are the most accurate and trusted organization when tracking hurricanes. 

I would not be at all surprised if the FLL airport closes at some point during this if track holds steady.

Question is when/if it will close - our experience on the Gulf Coast is they will keep open as long as possible, so the Saturday arrival should be good unless storm speeds up.

Agree completely with following NHC  - it is the source everyone else uses, at least for some back-up. Has the storm gotten any larger? The last size I saw from NHC was a 50ish miles across wind field (last night or early this AM, before they changed the track to miss Hispaniola and Cuba - big change). That's a very small storm, and if it goes as far north as Daytona/St Augustine, impacts on FLL airport may be lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...