YIKES! Have you been reading the reviews of RSSC on CC?

forgap

FWIW, we took our first Regent cruise - to Alaska, departing out of Vancouver - on June 12 of this year on the Mariner.  Although we had been to Alaska a few times, cruising in Alaska was a bucket list item for the couple we were traveling with, and we were happy to go back with Regent.  As others have said, nothing is 100% perfect, but our experience came close.  I think we were lucky in our embarkation process, in that everything ran smoothly, on schedule, without any hiccups or lengthy waits.  We were fortunate enough to have dinner one evening with one of the officers, and I asked him how many children were sailing.  The answer:  97, which is a fairly large percentage.  But they were extraordinarily well-managed.  The kids club was in full force during the day, and unless we happened to be walking by, we didn’t really see too many children running around unsupervised on the ship - that happened maybe twice in the full 8 days, and in one case, the mother was following close behind and was obviously mortified that her kids were acting up.  I was shocked to hear the number, given how ‘invisible’ the kids were - again, sounds like we were lucky on this one, too, but I’ll take it.  

I’ve been reading this forum for over a year, have asked a few questions and gotten terrific answers, and felt pretty well-prepared for the experience, but it still blew us away.  Was every meal in every venue perfect?  Of course not, but on balance, most were well above average and a few were truly amazing.  In fact, the only ‘off’ experience we had in terms of dining for the entire cruise was once at the Pool Grill, at lunch, when we were sort of strongly encouraged to choose a burger from some that had been pre-made, sitting in warming trays, and when we asked if we could get them freshly made, there was a second attempt to get us to just take ones from the tray.  We had a PH3, and our butler was the best butler we’ve ever had.  We celebrated an anniversary, and he went out of his way not only with room decorations and a little treat after dinner, but also with informing the waitstaff in Compass Rose, where we were made to feel incredibly special.  The suite itself was the most spacious we’ve ever had, and I knew ahead of time from CC to pre-order the type of drinks we preferred.  These were stocked and exactly right when we first arrived.

We had to make a last minute change to an excursion, and the destination services people couldn’t have been more accommodating.  I know they’ve gotten some criticism occasionally, but that wasn’t our experience at all on this particular cruise.  We changed to a different excursion with literally 45 minutes to spare, and it was all handled cheerfully and efficiently.

Because we’ve had the good fortune to experience Alaska on other cruise/land trips, we didn’t feel the need to book excursions other than those that were included.  Our traveling companions did select a couple of the more expensive extra-cost outings, including a helicopter flight onto the glacier followed by dogsledding, and they thought this was worth every penny and more.

I could go on, but I mostly wanted to weigh into this topic because our experience just couldn’t have been more different than this family group who pretty obviously has a bone to pick, for whatever set of reasons.  Even though we were on an Alaska itinerary, in the summer, with lots of children, departing out of Vancouver, Regent most certainly lived up to its reputation and our expectations, and we’ll definitely be sailing with them as time allows from now on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, aungrl said:

FWIW, we took our first Regent cruise - to Alaska, departing out of Vancouver - on June 12 of this year on the Mariner.  Although we had been to Alaska a few times, cruising in Alaska was a bucket list item for the couple we were traveling with, and we were happy to go back with Regent.  As others have said, nothing is 100% perfect, but our experience came close.  I think we were lucky in our embarkation process, in that everything ran smoothly, on schedule, without any hiccups or lengthy waits.  We were fortunate enough to have dinner one evening with one of the officers, and I asked him how many children were sailing.  The answer:  97, which is a fairly large percentage.  But they were extraordinarily well-managed.  The kids club was in full force during the day, and unless we happened to be walking by, we didn’t really see too many children running around unsupervised on the ship - that happened maybe twice in the full 8 days, and in one case, the mother was following close behind and was obviously mortified that her kids were acting up.  I was shocked to hear the number, given how ‘invisible’ the kids were - again, sounds like we were lucky on this one, too, but I’ll take it.  

I’ve been reading this forum for over a year, have asked a few questions and gotten terrific answers, and felt pretty well-prepared for the experience, but it still blew us away.  Was every meal in every venue perfect?  Of course not, but on balance, most were well above average and a few were truly amazing.  In fact, the only ‘off’ experience we had in terms of dining for the entire cruise was once at the Pool Grill, at lunch, when we were sort of strongly encouraged to choose a burger from some that had been pre-made, sitting in warming trays, and when we asked if we could get them freshly made, there was a second attempt to get us to just take ones from the tray.  We had a PH3, and our butler was the best butler we’ve ever had.  We celebrated an anniversary, and he went out of his way not only with room decorations and a little treat after dinner, but also with informing the waitstaff in Compass Rose, where we were made to feel incredibly special.  The suite itself was the most spacious we’ve ever had, and I knew ahead of time from CC to pre-order the type of drinks we preferred.  These were stocked and exactly right when we first arrived.

We had to make a last minute change to an excursion, and the destination services people couldn’t have been more accommodating.  I know they’ve gotten some criticism occasionally, but that wasn’t our experience at all on this particular cruise.  We changed to a different excursion with literally 45 minutes to spare, and it was all handled cheerfully and efficiently.

Because we’ve had the good fortune to experience Alaska on other cruise/land trips, we didn’t feel the need to book excursions other than those that were included.  Our traveling companions did select a couple of the more expensive extra-cost outings, including a helicopter flight onto the glacier followed by dogsledding, and they thought this was worth every penny and more.

I could go on, but I mostly wanted to weigh into this topic because our experience just couldn’t have been more different than this family group who pretty obviously has a bone to pick, for whatever set of reasons.  Even though we were on an Alaska itinerary, in the summer, with lots of children, departing out of Vancouver, Regent most certainly lived up to its reputation and our expectations, and we’ll definitely be sailing with them as time allows from now on.

Totally agree: some of these reviews have a totally unrealistic expectation of the product Everything is not perfect but 99% of the time is !!! IMHO Some people need to get real.

IMO, it is almost better to expect the worst when it comes to sailing out of Vancouver.  We have had multiple ships in port and had extremely long waits (nothing to do with Regent but rather has to do with the port).  We will be boarding Crystal next Tuesday in Vancouver and are thankfully the only ship in port on that day (unusual).  While we expect this to go smoothy, when we are in Juneau, there are many ships with thousands of people.  Thankfully we have been to Juneau before and will either stay on the ship (weather permitting) or will wait until later morning and will walk around and hopefully will not encounter too many passengers that run to the closest bar and get drunk (obviously not Regent cruisers).  

Sadly, the experience in many ports are affected by overtourism.  This problem is so big that it has been covered by most news channels.  We are very fortunate that we did so much international traveling prior to the current tourism overload that we now sail for the ship experience rather than the ports.

13 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Anyone can post what they want on CC and social media these days.  With or without merit.  Believe it, deny it,  or ignore it  seems to be the choice.

We really enjoyed our Mariner RT Alaska cruise in July.  

May I ask what your previous cruising experience was?  Only asking because people that are used to mainstream or premium cruise lines tend to love Regent (if they have realistic expectations).  On the other hand, some premium plus and luxury cruisers tend to be really harsh when they sail on other luxury lines.  

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

May I ask what your previous cruising experience was?  Only asking because people that are used to mainstream or premium cruise lines tend to love Regent (if they have realistic expectations).  On the other hand, some premium plus and luxury cruisers tend to be really harsh when they sail on other luxury lines.  

Certainly.  Princess, Celebrity, Oceania, Seabourn, and Crystal.  As for realistic expectations, I have travelled extensively for pleasure and business in many different regions.  Accommodations have varied from top to bottom.  The food on our cruise was good to outstanding.  Service was exemplary.  Entertainment was overall good in spite of the horrible amplification in  the main theatre.  The house band was great!  

Some things don't change.  On our recent Seabourn cruise a passenger went into a tirade waiting on a table in the dining room--all of 5 minutes.  Of course his threat was he was going straight back to Regent!

Edited by SkystheLimit
spelling
  • Haha 2

It really comes down to what did you think of your cruise, which in my opinion is the most important review.  Some people you'll never please, some people look for problems, some people just don't enjoy themself at all--so why worry about their problems and see what you think...................and let's not forget sometime something may go wrong, so don't stew about it, tell someone on the ship-the problem will get fixed and you'll enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

... On our recent Seabourn cruise a passenger went into a tirade waiting on a table in the dining room--all of 5 minutes.  ...

Many cruises have one or two such people.  I've mused that in fact they are shills hired by the cruise line to give the passengers something to talk about. They can be entertaining if you don't take them seriously.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take negative reviews with a grain of salt. We have never had a bad experience with any cruise on Regent and we have a lot of cruises under our belt (10 years). I've read reviews where I felt we were on different cruises although it was the same. My personal feeling is that some people have to complaint about everything. I just ignore them. We love cruising with Regent and more than anything we love the crew. They are like family. So, if you're new to Regent don't let reviews change your mind. You have to make your own mind without being influenced by others.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Totally agree: some of these reviews have a totally unrealistic expectation of the product Everything is not perfect but 99% of the time is !!! IMHO Some people need to get real.

You're not kidding - I once heard a woman complaining (loudly) that the service was terrible and she'd never sail Regent again as long as she lived.  The grievous sin committed?  Someone brought her the wrong spoon with her coffee.

Seriously.

Frankly, if the wrong spoon sends you into a meltdown I'd prefer she sailed another line - I'd rather not share a ship with someone like that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, forevertravel said:

I take negative reviews with a grain of salt. We have never had a bad experience with any cruise on Regent and we have a lot of cruises under our belt (10 years). I've read reviews where I felt we were on different cruises although it was the same. My personal feeling is that some people have to complaint about everything. I just ignore them. We love cruising with Regent and more than anything we love the crew. They are like family. So, if you're new to Regent don't let reviews change your mind. You have to make your own mind without being influenced by others.

Couldn't agree more.  We've had what I consider minor hiccups here and there over the past 10 years, but honestly the only real issues I've ever had with Regent stemmed from the home office.  I had some minor issues about 3-4 years ago with the pool deck service and Destination Services - mentioning this on my surveys may have helped as both areas have been almost perfect the last few years.

When you get to the point that crew members remember you and tell you "Welcome Home!" when you board, well, that's what keeps up coming back.

23 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

You're not kidding - I once heard a woman complaining (loudly) that the service was terrible and she'd never sail Regent again as long as she lived.  The grievous sin committed?  Someone brought her the wrong spoon with her coffee.

Seriously.

Frankly, if the wrong spoon sends you into a meltdown I'd prefer she sailed another line - I'd rather not share a ship with someone like that.

Some years ago, I was in a greengrocer shop when a taxi pulled up  and out got a very angry looking man carrying a punnet of strawberries.

He entered the shop, and in a very loud voice said he was returning the strawberries as they were warm.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, forevertravel said:

I take negative reviews with a grain of salt....So, if you're new to Regent don't let reviews change your mind. You have to make your own mind without being influenced by others.

Exactly!  You need to "read between the lines" on any review.  Years ago, when we were new to cruising, we had convinced friends to go with us (their first cruise, our third).  Our friends tend to be somewhat "fussy" at times.   So I read a review about the ship we were going on and the reviewer hated it.   His major complaint?  His teenage daughter couldn't find ANYTHING edible in the Main Dining Room except hot dogs!   So I was concerned our friends wouldn't find the food acceptable.  Turned out just the opposite.  We all had a wonderful time and like us, they are now veteran cruisers with over 30 cruises under their belt.   They tried Regent last Feb. and have also been bitten by the "Regent Bug."  

So like forevertravel says, you have to take all reviews and consider their validity.  If a teenager can't find one single dish that she likes in 7 days except hot dogs, the problem just might NOT be the Main Dining Room.  😏

• Like 1

Our only choice for Alaska next year was June, because of various schedule conflicts.  I booked us on Mariner because of those amazing aft suites; Explorer will be running one day ahead of us, so I guess we will not actually ever see her.  I assume John Barron will be on Splendor by then; we sailed with him once, and he was amazing.  

I am gold, but achieved that status mid-cruise before they started with all the perks on the cruise you got there.  I don't know what people are talking about, when they talk about a pin, but I can live without that.  All the rest of my crew have only sailed on RCCL and that particular cruise was a disaster for us.  Long story, too long to talk about.  But only the ones who were adults at the time remember it.  I want my daughter and her family to experience Regent while I am still able to enjoy it with them.  They certainly don't have high expectations, so everything will be good.

39 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We have heard good things about the Mariner's Seven Seas Aft suites.  If they are what you are referencing, please tell us what is "amazing".  We have a deposit on one and hope we have made the right choice.

We were in an aft Seven Seas Aft suite on Mariner and agree that it is "amazing".  The living room is huge and the layout of the suite is really nice (except that you have to walk through the closet to get to the master bathroom).  The balcony is huge.  Overall, I think that it is one of the best suites that we have been in.

Edited by Travelcat2

We did a trans-Atlantic on the Mariner in a Seven Seas Aft.  Deck 9 I think...   I loved the sitting room and balcony (which is huge).  Did not love the fact that the bedroom is a bit small and to get to the main bathroom you have to walk through the closet.   Which meant that the stewardess also had to do the same thing and there isn't that much room between the two clothes racks.   However I would certainly book the suite again if I take another cruise on the Mariner.   

Walking through the closet to get to the bathroom never bothered us, except that we had to make sure the hangers closest to the bathroom door were in the right position to close the door.  It was the large living room and monster deck that we loved.  The size of the bathroom didn't bother us, either; in fact, I measured and corresponded with a young couple who wanted to bring a pack and play; there was a perfect spot for it.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, papaflamingo said:

Just read the reviews...pretty harsh.   I have only cruised Regent once, that was on Mariner and it was last Nov-Dec. for 44 nights.  Was it perfect?  No, of course not. We had hiccups like any cruise will have.  But I am a veteran cruiser (34 cruises, vast majority with Royal Caribbean).  So a few of my observations as a new Regent Cruiser.   

Let me state right up front, we loved our cruise.   So much so that I have 39 nights booked on Navigator next June and just booked 48 on Explorer in 2021.   Will Navigator be like Mariner?  No, of course not.  And thanks to Cruise Critic, I can state why.  It's older, it's smaller, it vibrates in the aft.  It only has Prime 7 and Sette Mare for specialty restaurants.  Great... I'm forewarned and have made decisions accordingly.  For example we booked an E Category to get up forward of midships to avoid the vibration.  

So my point... cruising is all about "managing expectations."  If you expect that every meal will rival the finest 5 star restaurants, you'll be disappointed.  If you expect that there is some magical Camelot weather bubble around a cruise ship you'll be disappointed.  If you don't understand that ships are mechanical marvels that pitch and roll with the seas, and are thus subject to movement, vibrations, and occasional breakdowns, you'll likely be disappointed.   

So now my observations.  I know that the meals aren't always hits.  On Regent, simply send it back and ask for something else.  I know that issues can occur in a stateroom.  On Regent, simply let them know and they'll jump through every hoop available to make it right.  I know that mechanical breakdowns occur.  On Regent they'll do whatever they can, but safety will always take precedence.  I know weather can cause missed ports, etc.  On Regent they'll make every attempt to get to the port, but safety will always take precedent.  And alternative programs or ports will be provided.  I know that included shore excursions are generally large groups, but on Regent, at least in my limited experience, they'll generally not load a bus to capacity, and every attempt is made to make these enjoyable.  Always successful? No.  Mostly? Sure if you don't expect a private limo tour.  

Anyway,  what is really important is that when you try a new cruise line, it's incumbent upon you to research on these boards.  Y'all are a vast wealth of information as to what the reality of the expectation should be.  If you are armed with this information, you can go on a 44 night cruise and find that it can be, without a doubt, a wonderful experience.  You just need to know that all you have to do is ask and you can get Grey Goose.  

Papaflamingo: Absolutely the most reasoned, well-stated, cogent comments I’ve read about Regent, cruising and living life with your head screwed on straight.

• Like 2

I just saw a major typo in my previous post.  The baby bed did NOT go in the bathroom; there was a perfect spot in the bedroom for it.  Please don't think bad things about that young couple's placement of their child!

2 hours ago, wifeofgrapestake said:

Papaflamingo: Absolutely the most reasoned, well-stated, cogent comments I’ve read about Regent, cruising and living life with your head screwed on straight.

Thank you!  😊

Edited by papaflamingo

Geez, I just booked the last Mariner cruise in Alaska for 2020 and returning to LAX. We have been on the Navigator and it was fine. I know that nothing is perfect..but wish people would take a deep breath before they write and let their thoughts settle in. I have Seabourn next Month, Crystal in January, and Regent in Sep. I think they all will be just fine. 

24 minutes ago, Tucson54 said:

Am really nervous - we booked a cruse on Navigator - what's wrong with that ship??

So many of us love the Navigator. I do agree not to book a rear cabin.. there is a vibration. However, we did a 20 day cruise last August. The suite was lovely, the staff was fabulous, the food was delicious. And the crew went out of their way to try handle our missing luggage. 

The theatre has great visibility, the lounge is cozy. Any questions can be answered. 

What else can I say. Try it! You will love it!

sheila

• Like 2

The biggest complaint that I can remember on CC is when A British flag was accidentally hung upside down for the Beatles party. Some people on CC were angry and the poster was livid!  If I were not married to a Brit, I would have no clue which was was up and which was was down!

296DB021-0AF6-4F8D-9151-A156BFB130D3.jpeg

Edited by Travelcat2