Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
vtcruising

Will We Be Left Lobsterless And Heartbroken?

Recommended Posts

I was checking my app to see which nights would be Chic Nights on my upcoming Edge cruise. Our cruise wasn't up yet, but looked at the one before ours. I looked for the usual Chic menus, with lobster usually being served on the second Chic Night. Lo and behold, there were no nights with lobster tails served in the MDRs. I looked through many Edge 7 night Carib cruises in Nov and into Jan and none of them served lobster tails. I checked the app for the present Edge 10-11 night cruises and they do have lobster one night. I also checked the menus for the EQ 7 night cruises during the same time period as the Edge lobsterless cruises and they do have the lobster menu on the 6th night (and the other ships with > 7 night cruises during that time period also had lobster during the cruise).

 

The lobster mystery even got more interesting when I noticed that Blu and Luminae also aren't serving lobster tails for dinner on the 7 night Edge cruises. On Night 6 Blu is serving Bouillabaisse (with lobster broth), tuna and meatloaf, Luminae has Poached Fluke, Duck and Strip Steak and the MDRs have Prime Rib and Atlantic Pollock. The order of the MDR menus for the Edge 7 night Carib cruises is Menu 1, 4, 2, 3, 5, 9, 8. They skipped menu 6, which includes lobster tails and Beef Wellington.

 

Now, we are not big fans of Carib lobster tails and will be just fine if they aren't serving them, but I haven't been on a 7 night cruise that didn't serve them (we had them on the Edge last January on the second Chic Night). I would think some would miss having lobster - it seems to be a frequent question on CC. My forgiving self is thinking it could be an app mistake and that things change - it's early, but the cynical side of me is wondering if it is a cutback and they are skipping the Day 6 menu purposely since all 3 restaurants are skipping lobster night per the app.

 

Are Edge cruisers being edged out of the lobster dinner?   Will we have to eat pollock, tuna or fluke instead?  Time will tell whether we will be lobsterless in the Caribbean this year.  Stay tuned - I will keep you posted.....😉

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope we  hear back...we are on a 10 night cruise so hope we get the lobster.

 

We do not eat pollock, tuna   fluke or tilapia.  

 

Wonder what they will serve for dinner on the Edge or the fish place,?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In our experience with the app for the Edge, Summit and Connie the menus on the app were basically placed holders until a couple of days before sailing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the 4 mdr plan on our next EDGE...we'll go with the flow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In our experience with the app for the Edge, Summit and Connie the menus on the app were basically placed holders until a couple of days before sailing.   

We had that experience too, but I just thought it was weird that every 7 night Edge cruise had the MDRs, Blu and Luminae without lobster night and it starts right after the TA. It is likely nothing, but with other cutbacks, my cynical  self went into overdrive. Just an interesting thought, not trying to panic anyone... 😉

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are believing the app?  It isn’t worth the paper it’s Printed on.....ummm, it isn’t worth the electrons it’s sent on?  It isn’t worth .........?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We buy cold water lobster tails in the middle of the mountains of NC for $4.99   Honestly don't understand the attraction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You are believing the app?  It isn’t worth the paper it’s Printed on.....ummm, it isn’t worth the electrons it’s sent on?  It isn’t worth .........?

 

LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

We buy cold water lobster tails in the middle of the mountains of NC for $4.99   Honestly don't understand the attraction. 

Being from New England, we are all about Maine lobster, but for some reason we still order a Carib lobster tail on cruises most of the lobster nights, even though there is no comparison. Blu's is usually pretty good and Luminae's was quite good in January. Surf and turf and skipping dessert is also good. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Being from New England, we are all about Maine lobster, but for some reason we still order a Carib lobster tail on cruises most of the lobster nights, even though there is no comparison. Blu's is usually pretty good and Luminae's was quite good in January. Surf and turf and skipping dessert is also good. 🙂

 

Understand that but we couldn't care less if it wasn't offered. Would go home and eat it there. 🦞😉

Edited by ECCruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Is the Prime Rib stil offered?

Yes, the Beef Tournedos are on night 3 and aged prime rib on night 6. Works for us if it stays as is. 🙂

 

2F056C1E-8C4F-496F-B5EA-14D54144E5BE.thumb.png.e8e2426f1ceb0079346756a233f17684.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't bother me if they don't. I know a lot of people love lobster. I've had lobster in Maine and it's pretty good, but I'm from South Louisiana and I much prefer crawfish. Now if they had a crawfish boil, I'd be all in dat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, finny2 said:

It wouldn't bother me if they don't. I know a lot of people love lobster. I've had lobster in Maine and it's pretty good, but I'm from South Louisiana and I much prefer crawfish. Now if they had a crawfish boil, I'd be all in dat. 

Sounds yummy!!🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jelayne said:

In our experience with the app for the Edge, Summit and Connie the menus on the app were basically placed holders until a couple of days before sailing.   

We are sailing on the Summit in a week. The menus have been up on the app for a while, long enough for there to have been a change to the menus since they were originally posted. The newest updated menus show lobster in both the MDR and Luminae on night six. The previous menus had no lobster at all. I'm hoping the actual menus on our cruise follow the updated menus and not the lobsterless ones I originally saw. 

 

15 minutes ago, finny2 said:

It wouldn't bother me if they don't. I know a lot of people love lobster. I've had lobster in Maine and it's pretty good, but I'm from South Louisiana and I much prefer crawfish. Now if they had a crawfish boil, I'd be all in dat. 

DH and I had a crawfish boil meal at Deanies in New Orleans. Really different than lobster, and not like shrimp, which I thought it would be like. It was though quite spicy and delicious. Probably have to cruise out of New Orleans to get that on a cruise, if at all. New Orleans food is amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly we are on the same sailing and when I went into the app it told me to check back closer to the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bermadu22 said:

We are sailing on the Summit in a week. The menus have been up on the app for a while, long enough for there to have been a change to the menus since they were originally posted. The newest updated menus show lobster in both the MDR and Luminae on night six. The previous menus had no lobster at all. I'm hoping the actual menus on our cruise follow the updated menus and not the lobsterless ones I originally saw. 

Good to hear! If that is the case, likely ours will change as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oville said:

Interestingly we are on the same sailing and when I went into the app it told me to check back closer to the cruise.

Yes, as I said, the closest one that had info was the one that ended the week before (Jan 5), so was going by that one as an example (and checked all of the menus for Nov and Dec). Ours should be up soon! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, as I said, the closest one was the one that ended the week before (Jan 5), so was going by that one as an example (and checked all of the menus for Nov and Dec). Ours should be up soon! 🙂

Interesting that you could get into the app on a cruise you haven’t booked..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oville said:

Interesting that you could get into the app on a cruise you haven’t booked..

It took a little work, but I figured it out: 

 

When it says "Let's look up your cruises" and then goes to the link page where you fill in your info, ignore the info completion and click on "Get more details on ships we support" at the bottom of the page. Click on the Edge (or any of the ships) and the cruises are listed where the app has been loaded with info. It doesn't really have info about the specific cruise for the ones in a few months, but has info on dining and other venues.

 

If you look at the current cruises, you can see actual activities and menus onboard. It's fun to see what they are doing on the Edge today!  A port day today but in two days (day 10) they have a sea day and will have the Evening Chic Soiree at the Grand Plaza and lobster in the MDRs, Blu and Luminae.

 

For the Edge, the last one listed is Dec 29-Jan 5, so hopefully the Jan 5 and 12 cruises will be loaded next. 😊

 

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ECCruise said:

We buy cold water lobster tails in the middle of the mountains of NC for $4.99   Honestly don't understand the attraction. 

Really? Never see it in Highlands at a grocer and would NEVER see it at that price. 

Never see it at that price in FL ever, even at a Costco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

It took a little work, but I figured it out: 

 

When it says "Let's look up your cruises" and then goes to the link page where you fill in your info, ignore the info completion and click on "Get more details on ships we support" at the bottom of the page. Click on the Edge (or any of the ships) and the cruises are listed where the app has been loaded with info. It doesn't really have info about the specific cruise for the ones in a few months, but has info on dining and other venues.

 

If you look at the current cruises, you can see actual activities and menus onboard. It's fun to see what they are doing on the Edge today!  A port day today but in two days (day 10) they have a sea day and will have the Evening Chic Soiree at the Grand Plaza and lobster in the MDRs, Blu and Luminae.

 

For the Edge, the last one listed is Dec 29-Jan 5, so hopefully the Jan 5 and 12 cruises will be loaded next. 😊

 

TY for the information

Will update/sych closer to our embarkation. 

We will be doing a B2B and have planned specialty dining for most nights except planned for MDR for wellington/lobster night. 

 

I wonder if the app will update when a ship has changes to port schedule due to hurricane. Watching Dorian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Really? Never see it in Highlands at a grocer and would NEVER see it at that price. 

Never see it at that price in FL ever, even at a Costco

Harris Teeter, frequently on special.

Earth Fare, at least 5 times this year.

$5 Surf & Turf Starts Today! Wild Caught Maine Lobster Tails and Grass Fed Filet Only $5 Each for Healthy Rewards Members! Not a member, sign up here or in store.

Not sure why they would be that price in Florida.  These are cold water tails.  And nothing is less in Florida.  1 word:  Publix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Harris Teeter, frequently on special.

Earth Fare, at least 5 times this year.

$5 Surf & Turf Starts Today! Wild Caught Maine Lobster Tails and Grass Fed Filet Only $5 Each for Healthy Rewards Members! Not a member, sign up here or in store.

Not sure why they would be that price in Florida.  These are cold water tails.  And nothing is less in Florida.  1 word:  Publix.

None of that exists in Highlands, nor Dillard. Only Ingles in Dillard. Never been in the Pic n Sav

Haven't seen that price in Publix. 

Will pay more attention to Earthfare

 

Edited by Fogfog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...