Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcu1210

Academia Gallery

Recommended Posts

Will be in Florence fence for 1 day while on cruise. I really only want to see David. Am I better off buying a skip the line ticket or doing a reserved ticket like Rick Steeves suggested? I am not looking to pay for a tour, we will do an audio. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what you're referring to, as far as I know there is only one way to purchase a ticket in advance.

 

The official web site for ticket purchase is here:  https://webshop.b-ticket.com/webshop/webticket/eventlist

 

I would absolutely get tickets in advance, on a port day when you're going to be spending 90 minutes to two hours just getting there from the port and back, you don't have time to waste waiting on lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes advance purchase tickets is a must. Otherwise, you could be standing in line for an hour at the Gallery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"skip the line" and reserved ticket is the same thing.  Order online directly from the Academia.  

 

If you just want to see the David, if you want to do it free, just go to the Piazza in front of the Palazzo della Signoria. A to-scale copy of David is there, and it is where the original was for centuries.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

"skip the line" and reserved ticket is the same thing.  Order online directly from the Academia.  

 

If you just want to see the David, if you want to do it free, just go to the Piazza in front of the Palazzo della Signoria. A to-scale copy of David is there, and it is where the original was for centuries.   

 

 

 

....but be warned that it in no way compares to the original. Similarly, the bronze equestrian sculpture of Marcus Aurelius in the Capitoline Museum so far outshines the copy on the Campidoglio that I can't even think of a scale for comparison.

 

However, if the OP is just going in for a selfie.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I think i was confused about the reserved part. I do want to see the original. I hate having such little time in Florence, but it’s better than none at all. My wife wanted to do Ufitizi, so we are doing a tour tour of that, I guess my main concern is time. how isn’t Florence in late November early December for crowds?  As of now we are doing Tuscany bus which gives us from 1115ish to like 445pm, just not enough time. Am I better off just doing the one gallery and the replica? I greatly appreciate all of your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcu1210 said:

Thank you, I think i was confused about the reserved part. I do want to see the original. I hate having such little time in Florence, but it’s better than none at all. My wife wanted to do Ufitizi, so we are doing a tour tour of that, I guess my main concern is time. how isn’t Florence in late November early December for crowds?  As of now we are doing Tuscany bus which gives us from 1115ish to like 445pm, just not enough time. Am I better off just doing the one gallery and the replica? I greatly appreciate all of your help

I think your itinerary is doable.

 

We also used Tuscany Bus last month from Livorno to Florence and the arrival/departure time is quite similar to yours.  The bus arrived at the parking lot next to the Florence train station.  We pre-booked tickets for the Academia at 12N and at the Uffizi for 2PM.  We walked fast, spent about 1 hour at each museums.  We had time for a walkby the Duomo (not inside) and Ponte Vecchio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcu1210 said:

Thank you, I think i was confused about the reserved part. I do want to see the original. I hate having such little time in Florence, but it’s better than none at all. My wife wanted to do Ufitizi, so we are doing a tour tour of that, I guess my main concern is time. how isn’t Florence in late November early December for crowds?  As of now we are doing Tuscany bus which gives us from 1115ish to like 445pm, just not enough time. Am I better off just doing the one gallery and the replica? I greatly appreciate all of your help

 

Ah, you are lucky to be going in the off-off-season!

 

I was in Florence during the week of Thanksgiving two years ago and the crowds were VERY minimal. We took the precaution of purchasing the Firenze pass (which does give you "walk in" privileges at most sites; even with pre-reserving tickets you may have to wait in line in high season).  However, I would not worry about it in November at all.  You can do it. 

 

Have you looked at the train schedule from Livorno to see if that would net you more overall time in Florence? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve discussed taking the train back to give us an extra hour or so. Our ship leaves at 8, so I figured taking a train back at around 5 something would give us enough time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the Trenitalia schedule, there is a train that departs Florence at 5:00 pm exactly and arrives in Livorno at 6:11 pm. However this only gives you about 15 more minutes than the bus.

 

There's another train at 5:28 pm arriving Livorno at 6:46.  That could be your backup if you decide to skip the bus and miss the first train. But it would be the last available option. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m afraid of cutting it close. How is the best way to get from the station back to the port at that time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking a taxi from the station is what I'd recommend. Both times I've come back via train there have been taxis at the station but there are not an unlimited number of them. I'd try to be fast off the train and to the station entrance. If no taxis, ask someone to call one for you (probably would have the best luck trying at the small store in the station that sells tickets and a few sundries).

 

It is not a long trip, maybe 10-15 minutes, so even if you had to wait a few minutes for a taxi you should still be on time. However, there is SOME risk... Generally it's always best to aim for the next-to-last train that could conceivably get you back in time. That way there is still a back-up.

 

Any way you look at it, a cruise day is generally a short day if you're headed to Florence. :classic_wacko: But being there in low season will be to your benefit. Just pray to the weather gods that it's not bucketing rain...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Taking a taxi from the station is what I'd recommend. Both times I've come back via train there have been taxis at the station but there are not an unlimited number of them. I'd try to be fast off the train and to the station entrance. If no taxis, ask someone to call one for you (probably would have the best luck trying at the small store in the station that sells tickets and a few sundries).

 

It is not a long trip, maybe 10-15 minutes, so even if you had to wait a few minutes for a taxi you should still be on time. However, there is SOME risk... Generally it's always best to aim for the next-to-last train that could conceivably get you back in time. That way there is still a back-up.

 

Any way you look at it, a cruise day is generally a short day if you're headed to Florence. :classic_wacko: But being there in low season will be to your benefit. Just pray to the weather gods that it's not bucketing rain...

 

But it is a flat fee of 25 Euros from the train station to the port in Livorno. So there will probably be others at that train station, group up and split the cost of the taxi.

 

Also if you pre book your return train from florence, I would recommend selecting the earlier time. The ticket will be good for 4 hours from the time of the train you selected. So if you are done early and want to return early you can but can always catch that later train without any hassles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was in Florence about 20 years ago. I was tired of Renaissance art and wanted to say I saw David. There were no lines when I went. I went in, found David, took a picture and then left.

 

I got home, got the film developed (yep, back in the old days) and my picture was blurry! Oh well. I saw David. :)

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...