Anyone have baggage delayed by airline on way to cruise?

Kenster

We leave tomorrow for Linz with a connection in Frankfurt.  Lufthansa is infamous for weighing carry on bags and making you check them if they are over 20 pounds.  It's happened to us on two previous cruises.  One going TO the cruise and one coming back.  United never weighs carry on bags.  Lufthansa is just weird.  If you're four pounds over, for example, on your roll-aboard, you either have to check it or removed four pounds and put it in your "personal item." (backpack, etc.)  So, the total carry on weight remains the same and both bags are most likely going into the same overhead bin. So why, hassle the customer?

On this trip, we've packed very carefully and, because it's shorter than our three previous river cruises, we are able to keep our two carry on size roll-aboards right at twenty pounds.  My backpack is 12.  Her tote bag is about ten, so we should be good.  If we are confronted by Helga, the former East German Olympic wrestler and shot putter, we will remove a pair of shoes or something and transfer to our other bag.   And because we are in business class, we are allowed the roll-aboard and two personal items.  We're use to going up to two weeks with a carry on bag, so a nine day cruise is no biggie.

So, my question is... How many of  you have ever had your bag not make your flight, thereby missing the boat?  Was it very difficult catching up to you as you made your way down river?  If we weren't worried about a  lost bag, we'd just check the suitcase and be done with it.  But it would be a nightmare, it seems, for the airline baggage delivery guy to chase you down river from port to port.

Edited by Kenster

We discovered we were missing a suitcase on one trip - final destination of Amsterdam, routed through Frankfurt.   When we filed the paperwork, the people said the suitcase never made it on the plane in Frankfurt - but they had located it.  They *said* it would be on the next flight.

Well, it wasn't...  It caught up with us a couple of days later (we had a couple of days in Amsterdam before cruising down the Rhine).  But - we got it because our awesome cruise director kept calling and bugging them.  And then took a cab to the airport and personally retrieved it. 

Until the suitcase arrived, the cruise director told my husband to put his clothes outside our cabin door, and they washed them free of charge.  We always carry a spare change of clothes with our carry on so my husband (whose suitcase was lost) had clothes to wear while a set went out to the laundry.  The top/jeans were washed and hung on the door knob when we got up in the morning. 

We were with Emerald on that cruise...  

Fran

3 hours ago, Kenster said:

We leave tomorrow for Linz with a connection in Frankfurt.  Lufthansa is infamous for weighing carry on bags and making you check them if they are over 20 pounds.  It's happened to us on two previous cruises.  One going TO the cruise and one coming back.  United never weighs carry on bags.  Lufthansa is just weird.  If you're four pounds over, for example, on your roll-aboard, you either have to check it or removed four pounds and put it in your "personal item." (backpack, etc.)  So, the total carry on weight remains the same and both bags are most likely going into the same overhead bin. So why, hassle the customer?

On this trip, we've packed very carefully and, because it's shorter than our three previous river cruises, we are able to keep our two carry on size roll-aboards right at twenty pounds.  My backpack is 12.  Her tote bag is about ten, so we should be good.  If we are confronted by Helga, the former East German Olympic wrestler and shot putter, we will remove a pair of shoes or something and transfer to our other bag.   And because we are in business class, we are allowed the roll-aboard and two personal items.  We're use to going up to two weeks with a carry on bag, so a nine day cruise is no biggie.

So, my question is... How many of  you have ever had your bag not make your flight, thereby missing the boat?  Was it very difficult catching up to you as you made your way down river?  If we weren't worried about a  lost bag, we'd just check the suitcase and be done with it.  But it would be a nightmare, it seems, for the airline baggage delivery guy to chase you down river from port to port.

Have flown over a million miles on multiple airlines when working.  Have done 4-5 international trips each year since retired, always checking a bag. In all of that time (several hundred international flights) I have only had 2 times where a bag did not arrive with me.  Both times the bags were delivered within 24 hours.  One key is do not schedule tight connections or if possible avoid them entirely and get to the airport and check in early. I always get to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight and sometimes 3 at some non-US airports. i also schedule two hours for connections.  2.5 if needing to clear customs.

If you stay with the majors the odds of your bag not arriving is relatively low, in the range of a couple of percentage points. Out of those that do not arrive a number of those can be tied to tight connections, late check in, bad weather, flight cancellations, and other operational issues. 

I have known people that have had issues, but they have tended to be pretty rare.

Edited by npcl

Not on a cruise, but my daughter’s bag didn’t arrive with us in Singapore once. Singapore airlines were great, and immediately gave us (if I recall correctly) $120 in cash to buy temporary supplies and delivered the bag to our hotel the next day.

I did kick myself for not following the basic principles of cross packing some of each of our clothes across all of our bags and taking a complete change in carry-on though. Prefer not to spend my holiday traipsing around looking for clothes.

The airline lost our big suitcase on our way to an Alaska cruise, NEVER to be found again. This still baffles me years later, not only because the bag was permanently lost, but because we flew nonstop. How do you loose a bag flying nonstop from point A to point B? I’m pretty confident that it was stolen. 

Thankfully we had flown out the day prior to our cruise, and when we learned on the morning of departure that the airline still hadn’t located our suitcase and that, if found, most likely it wouldn’t catch up with us at any of the ports of call, we made a mad dash to Target in downtown Seattle on our way to the port to purchase new clothes for 7 days for a family of 4. 

We had to wait a whole month for the airline to declare the bag officially lost. The good news is that, between the airline and the insurance, we were reimbursed for all the contents of the lost suitcase, everything that we purchased to replace the lost items, plus they gave us an additional $800 for our trouble. 

I never had my bag being weighed by LH but I only have a day pack backpack as carry on. And yes, this day pack is just big enough to hold one set of clothes (meaning fresh undies, socks and a shirt), all my electronics (including a 12in laptop and Kindle plus camera and a back holding all cables and chargers) and my basic cosmetics in a 1 l clear bag (no not a regular zipper but a more stable one with a real zipper). So I can survive one day without my luggage.

I just flew back home (Munich) with UA and I was surprised to see the carry on luggage the people had which in most cases exceeded all measurements given by the airline. To make it even worse the overhead bins were really small especially those for the middle seats. Small means that most of the "carry on" suitcases did not fit in "upright" but only sideways blocking almost a whole bin (no space for a second suitcase). So many people walked around trying to find some space for their oversized carry on.

steamboats

• Like 1

Long story with a synopsis below: YES!

Air Berlin lost our luggage in 2016. It didn't catch up to us in Berlin where we were staying for 3 nights, nor in Prague, nor in Amsterdam where we spent 2 nights before boarding the Celebrity Silhouette for a 2 week cruise. We managed thanks to helpful roll call members and some shopping for a few replacement clothes in Berlin and Amsterdam. Our bags finally were reunited with us at Schilpohl prior to our flight back to the U.S.

Ironically, we had packed into carryons as our AA ff tix had us flying from CLE to LGA and then out of JFK. But when we got to the airport we asked if it was possible to be put on the CLE-JFK flight. It was, and I then suggested to my DH that we check our carryons rather than schlep them. Bad decision!!

We do plan on carryons only for our upcoming river cruise which is in the middle of an extensive land trip. Our German timeshare has a laundry facility, we'll use JetWasch in Lucerne, Avalon's laundry and we should be fine for the remaining 3 nights in Munich.

We have never had the misfortune of a lost bag, and we always cross pack our checked bags in case one of them might go astray. Our carry-ons hold at least two changes of clothes. 

I don't know if it would help, but we also pack on the top layer in our checked bag the itinerary of our cruise with our cellphone number. On the outside, our red leather Viking luggage tag also has our cell phone number. I don't know if they would even check inside the luggage to find that information, so maybe the Viking ship phone number from the travel documents should also go on the outside luggage tag?

We watched as our flight taxied out of Munich and saw bags from passengers that would be with us on Scenic when we arrived in Budapest. Magically the bags arrived at the ship before we set sail. The river cruises are really not traveling that far and a bag can catch up from one portage to another by bus.

I number of years ago I had my bag not arrive when I got to Europe.  I do not even remember which airline it was with.  I was to fly from Philadelphia to Washington DC then on to Brussels.  The flight from Philadelphia to Washington DC was cancelled which meant they put us on a later flight that afternoon.  I missed my flight but they booked me to London then on to Brussels as I kept asking about my luggage each step and was told it is with you.  Well no luggage when I arrived so the bus took us to Antwerp where the ship was.  I had a change in my carry on so I was able to shower on the ship and change.  The next day just as the ship was about to leave the dock so it would make an appointment with one of the Locks on the river my luggage arrived.  They were suppose to take it to my room but it went somewhere else and it took over 3 hours on the ship for them to find the crew member to received and ask him what he did with it. 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:20 AM, Kenster said:

The Frankfurt - Linz only has small shuttle aircraft, so at boarding you may be asked to place your luggage in iron cage (similar to dear MiL one) not for the weight but for the size (if it will fit into the overhead lockers).

PS. Helga, getting on in years but still taking the steroids, has now been signed to the WWE.🍻

@TMLAalum Good old Air Berlin... 2 years ago we´ve been to Cuba on Air Berlin via DUS. On the flight back a lot of people had to check their carry ons in DUS as the duty free shop in Varadero did not pack the receipt inside the plastic bag containing the rum they´ve bought. When we arrived in Munich some of those bags arrived - dripping. Others didn´t. One lady was desparate as she had her keys in that bag.

Although my bag had been checked through it didn´t arrive. It was Saturday morning and the next flight was arriving in more than two hours. So I thought I prefer to go home. My bag will be delivered tomorrow (Sunday). Not with Air Berlin! I learned that they had a different contract than Lufthansa with the lost baggage operator. With Lufthansa I usually got my bag delivered the next day. No, with Air Berlin my bag was handed over to the delivery company on Monday evening and didn´t arrive until Tuesday!!

Fortunately I was at home and didn´t need anything out of the bag.

steamboats

On 8/26/2019 at 3:16 AM, steamboats said:

I just flew back home (Munich) with UA and I was surprised to see the carry on luggage the people had which in most cases exceeded all measurements given by the airline. To make it even worse the overhead bins were really small especially those for the middle seats. Small means that most of the "carry on" suitcases did not fit in "upright" but only sideways blocking almost a whole bin (no space for a second suitcase). So many people walked around trying to find some space for their oversized carry on.

steamboats

This is one of my pet peeves with flying these days... May even be the source of greatest irritation when I travel.  

I get not wanting to check a bag if you don't have to... especially if you are only going away for a few days.  But, when I work very hard to ensure my luggage (checked and carry on) meets the posted guidelines, I get very annoyed when others are rude and  dismissive of the guidelines...  The sense of entitlement of some people is truly astounding!!  And lately, I see more men with multiple over-sized bags. 

G.M.T. - I wish Helga was in some of the airports where I fly into/out of.  I could use someone with some muscle who would enforce the rules!!

Fran

• Like 2

We just got back from Viking's Cities of Light cruisetour (Prague to Paris).  The first leg of our Delta flight to Prague was cancelled because of weather.  We were re-routed all over the place and ended up on three connecting flights. Surprise, surprise, my checked bag with a two-week supply of clothes, shoes and toiletries did not make it to Prague.  It took 3 days to track down by bag and return to me. The concierge at the Prague Hilton was basically useless in helping me track it down.  However, as soon as I reached out to the Viking Program Director, he took over and contacted the airlines; my bag was delivered soon after directly to the ship. He even arranged to have my change of clothing laundered free of charge until my suitcase arrived. 

I travel a lot for work and, having had my luggage delayed on several occasions, I try to take carry on whenever possible.  If I have to check a bag, then I assume it may be delayed and try to do the following: cross-pack with my husband (I didn't do that on this trip, and regretted it since his bag arrived on time); bring a small carry on bag with something to sleep in and a couple of changes of clothes along with anything needed for the first day or two (shoes, hats, travel guides, toiletries, medicines, adapters to charge cell phones, laptops, etc.) along with valuables.  

On 8/25/2019 at 8:20 PM, Kenster said:

On this trip, we've packed very carefully and, because it's shorter than our three previous river cruises, we are able to keep our two carry on size roll-aboards right at twenty pounds. 

I’d be more impressed by how carefully you pack if you actually bothered to know what LH weight allowances are. LH websites list 17 pounds, not 20. (They are more likely to adhere to their metric limit of 8kg, which is between 17 and 18 pounds.)

So when you are 4 pounds over your limit of 20 pounds you are 7 pounds over their limit, or 40% excess. 

We have taken 4 cruises and they never lost the luggage going to the cruise, but coming home from Luxembourg, our flight was changed due to a late plane and our luggage never made it to the US.  It took 3 days for it to arrive.

We flew Lufthansa, but no one weighed our carry ons, although we did have small ones.  They do have to approve carry ons, which I appreciate so that the overhead bins aren't all stuffed.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, franski said:

This is one of my pet peeves with flying these days... May even be the source of greatest irritation when I travel.  

I get not wanting to check a bag if you don't have to... especially if you are only going away for a few days.  But, when I work very hard to ensure my luggage (checked and carry on) meets the posted guidelines, I get very annoyed when others are rude and  dismissive of the guidelines...  The sense of entitlement of some people is truly astounding!!  And lately, I see more men with multiple over-sized bags. 

G.M.T. - I wish Helga was in some of the airports where I fly into/out of.  I could use someone with some muscle who would enforce the rules!!

Fran

When we flew to Amsterdam last year, I measured & weighed both our carry on's and our personal bags (both back packs) to make sure we fit the declared standards.  Got to Montreal to check in,  and we were told our carry ons were to big...no, they measured them and they were actually 1" shorter than their guideline.  During the mix up, our personal bags got mixed up...and so then they said we had to weigh them...well, DH's bag was a bit heavier than mine because he had all the electronics, but his case was lighter.  They weighed DH's personal bag with my case, and we got told we had to check.  Ok, did that, and once we got on the plane, we were glad because it was an older one and the overhead luggage areas were quite small, and we would have had fun trying to fit our bags in.

Coming back, we just automaticly checked, only to find out we had a newer plane (yeah, roomier seats!) with larger overhead storage, so we could have held onto our bags....

Guess you never know until you actually get on the plane.

We did once have a bag miss (not for a cruise though), fortunately, we had just had a friend return from an ocean cruise who had no luggage because his bag was lost, and I had our clothes mixed up in our cases, so we didn't really have much problems other than having to do unexpected laundry.

Edited by Daisi

On 8/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, G.M.T. said:

The Frankfurt - Linz only has small shuttle aircraft, so at boarding you may be asked to place your luggage in iron cage (similar to dear MiL one) not for the weight but for the size (if it will fit into the overhead lockers).

PS. Helga, getting on in years but still taking the steroids, has now been signed to the WWE.🍻

FRA to LNZ was an Embraer 190.  2 x 2 seating and quite large overhead bins.  Plenty of room to place our carry on suitcase and backpacks in the overhead.  No one had to gate check their bags. 

We had no issues with carrying on our bags on all four legs.  No one even questioned or looked at it.   Previous two trips, both Austria and Lufthansa made my wife check her carry on.  It was legal size but a few pounds over. 

Two couples from the U.K. (Leeds, Edinburgh) flew KLM Wednesday to Budapest via Amsterdam.  Due to a 2 hour strike in Amsterdam KLM decided not to forward their luggage.  IF they had been told, they could have put some items in their carry on.  It FINALLY caught up with them late last night in Vienna.  No clothes, toiletries etc.  Scenic washed/pressed their clothing nightly, having it fresh for the next morning and did all they could tracking the luggage.  The couples handled the situation with class and carried on as best they could.  I’m ashamed to say I would have let it ruin my trip!

1 hour ago, Senga said:

Two couples from the U.K. (Leeds, Edinburgh) flew KLM Wednesday to Budapest via Amsterdam.  Due to a 2 hour strike in Amsterdam KLM decided not to forward their luggage.  IF they had been told, they could have put some items in their carry on.  It FINALLY caught up with them late last night in Vienna.  No clothes, toiletries etc.  Scenic washed/pressed their clothing nightly, having it fresh for the next morning and did all they could tracking the luggage.  The couples handled the situation with class and carried on as best they could.  I’m ashamed to say I would have let it ruin my trip!

We were coming home from BUD early Wednesday morning and a couple in the Biz lounge were reading that news.  They were connecting to KLM in AMS. They had already checked their bags at the counter The lady very positively said "At least we're on the way home."

26 minutes ago, Kenster said:

We were coming home from BUD early Wednesday morning and a couple in the Biz lounge were reading that news.  They were connecting to KLM in AMS. They had already checked their bags at the counter The lady very positively said "At least we're on the way home."

That's true – I never worry about my bags on the way home.  Housefull of clothes.  Bags will either turn up or I'll buy new stuff.