Lost Luggage

We recently came back from an Alaskan Cruise on the NCL Joy. When we arrived in Seattle one of our large pieces of luggage could not be found. It was not in the area marked with the color we had received (yellow), and the NCL staff looked in all the other areas, to no avail. We, also, looked through each of the different colored areas. We filled out the "lost/stolen luggage/items" form, and were told they would let us know if they found it. The NCL employee told us he had determined it had never left the ship. He said we could either come back and retrieve it or they would ship it to our home address.. We live within a 2-3 hour drive from Seattle (depending on traffic), so we left. A few hours after arriving home we received a phone call saying it had been found, and we could come and pick it up before 3:30 pm. It was now 2:00 pm, and there would be no way we could make the drive in that time. So we asked if they would just ship it to our home (it was mainly my husband's clothes and our dirty clothes bag). He said no problem, it would take 7 to 10 days for us to receive it, and could we please give him our credit card number as we would be charged for the shipping! Really NCL? You lose our bag and we have to pay to have it shipped home? We had no choice - we had to pay the fee, or travel the 4 to 6 hour trip the next day (before 3:30pm) to retrieve the bag.

We have cruised on NCL many times, and are Latitude members - and will still be cheerleaders for NCL. But this experience will definitely involve a letter to Corporate from us!

Has any one else ever experienced a lot bag with NCL? And if so, was this the same circumstance that you found? What would you do? Thanks for any feedback.

If you read the guest ticket contract, there is this:

for loss or damage to baggage occurring elsewhere than on board the vessel in connection with air, car, motor coach, ground transfers,  porters,  stevedores  and/or  hotels  shall  rest  solely  with  the  person  or  entity  providing  such services and the Guest agrees that the Carrier does not guarantee the performance of such services and shall not be liable in any respect or capacity for any such loss or damage.

in other words, Norwegian is not liable thus you have to pay.

A long long time ago, i had an issue with the NYC port. When my luggage was delivered to my cabin one out of 4 wheels on my suitcase broken. I was mad when i noticed my luggage was broken.  I did not get anything from the cruise line since it was the porters who broke it and not the cruise line itself

Edited by shof515
  • Thanks 1

What would you do?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, if I knew the bag was mostly dirty laundry and clothes I could live without, I would have told them to ship it when asked initially, I guess.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pollyanna Dreamgirl said:

Has any one else ever experienced a lot bag with NCL? And if so, was this the same circumstance that you found? What would you do? Thanks for any feedback.

So, the person you talked to is likely a union port worker at Seattle. And not someone who is an employee of the cruise line. When you receive your bags and charges, I would go back to Post-Cruise Guest Relations and request a cash refund for the shipping charges. Keep good documentation if you need to file a claim with your credit card travel insurance (assuming that you have something on your credit card). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

The person we initially spoke with was an NCL employee - he had a "team member" name tag on - and we filled out a Norwegian  Luggage Report. He also was the one that told us our luggage had never left the ship (I guess they keep track of every piece of luggage that leaves?). So, it appears it would be the cruise company's issue - the port never received it.

We ended up driving the distance to Seattle today to pick it up - so no shipping charges - just time and gasoline. Our insurance pays $200 for luggage lost over 24 hours, but we actually received a phone call that it was found in less time than that. We just couldn't make the deadline to pick it up the first day because they closed at 3:30pm.

When we picked it up today the port workers were fabulous. There were 3 or 4 of them trying to find out where the luggage had been stored, and even walked us to the parking garage on our way out. Very accommodating!

All in all, I guess we can be thankful we got the luggage back, and in one piece. There are a lot worse things that could go wrong than having a suitcase misplaced for 1 day. Thanks for your responses!

• Like 1

Hate to here stories like this. when the airlines lose your baggage they pay to get it to you. We know, it has happened to us more than once. I think NCL should have been responsible but if there is a printed clause and they say they are not responsible you have to live with that as well. OP, I think you have a very good attitude and am glad you, at least have your luggage back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A similar story happened to us one time.

Forgot exactly when it was, but it was at the Manhattan cruise terminal. 

We were missing one suitcase, and was searching all over. Eventually, everyone had left and the port workers/NCL reps could not locate it anywhere...except for one lonely suitcase that was left behind and wasn't ours. Fortunately, the suitcase had a tag on it with the owner's contact information. The port agent called the number and found out that they had mistakenly grabbed our suitcase and took it home!

Luckily, we both live within an hour's drive of Manhattan, so we exchanged bags the same day.

Lessons learned, we now wrap a bright neon strap around each of our luggages!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Hate to here stories like this. when the airlines lose your baggage they pay to get it to you.

It's usually a very low cost due to the infrastructure they have. They can throw it on a plane going to your city for free. And then they already either have in house couriers or contracts with ones to deliver luggage once it reaches the airport. Airlines also have a lot more bags delayed/lost by volume, if not also by rate. Also, it's mostly only the airline's employees that handle the bags.

Whereas cruiselines have no infrastructure beyond the ports of call they visit and at least 50% of the time the bags are in transit they are out of NCL employee hands. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, shof515 said:

for loss or damage to baggage occurring elsewhere than on board

For loss or damage occurring elsewhere than on board means all of the places listed and then some (airport, taxi, shuttle etc).  But OP said they informed her that the missing suitcase was in fact still ON the ship.  Meaning it was not elsewhere than on board...and they are therefore, per their own policy, responsible for the expense necessary to return the bag to the owner.  

• Thanks 1

OP, you have just described my worst nightmare...but in reverse.  I guess the silver lining for you was that it was on your return trip and not on your embarkation.  I think you should press corporate for the reimbursement of the expense to ship the bag to you.  If they won't budge, then I guess you chalk it up to one of those hidden costs associated with traveling and perhaps consider self-assist on your next debarkation.  Sorry this happened to you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiserchris613 said:

We were missing one suitcase, and was searching all over. Eventually, everyone had left and the port workers/NCL reps could not locate it anywhere...except for one lonely suitcase that was left behind and wasn't ours. Fortunately, the suitcase had a tag on it with the owner's contact information. The port agent called the number and found out that they had mistakenly grabbed our suitcase and took it home!

Luckily, we both live within an hour's drive of Manhattan, so we exchanged bags the same day.

You were lucky in this happening in your own backyard instead of all the way cross country.

You got that right on - make some distinguishing marks features on your luggage

otherwise - everything looks the same - same large grand tourister black with

zips and latches One size does indeed look all alike.

Had a bag exchange at the Vancouver airport after getting off of the NCL Transfer bus.

Fortunately with ID tags on the bag and the airport paging system was able to

get this straighten away. Make your bag stand out from the crowd even if a neon pink

strap is not your color.

Also don't tarry around getting to the claiming area to claim your luggage.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

OP, you have just described my worst nightmare...but in reverse.  I guess the silver lining for you was that it was on your return trip and not on your embarkation.  I think you should press corporate for the reimbursement of the expense to ship the bag to you.  If they won't budge, then I guess you chalk it up to one of those hidden costs associated with traveling and perhaps consider self-assist on your next debarkation.  Sorry this happened to you!

That’s my greatest worry when traveling...lost luggage 🧳 !!!!  I’m a New Yorker and board the ship at NYC Manhattan port.  I only worry about missing/lost luggage on embarkation day; and, eliminate my worries by using self-assist on disembarkation.   

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

Having read other stories about the wrong suitcases being grabbed at the terminal ours now look this. It may not be classy but no one is going to grab it in error.images.jpg.8a200ea3da5fc0f32c8df7a2a1b30d2e.jpg 

Smart thinking 😆....too cute🐈

On 8/26/2019 at 10:03 AM, cruiserchris613 said:

I highly recommend the Tile App....   https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/products?gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867bylU34LBEwKz4VQ4X92GnbctPO6hOHhw1eXNwM9vEO4OggQmVWU-bOhoCiWYQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867bylU34LBEwKz4VQ4X92GnbctPO6hOHhw1eXNwM9vEO4OggQmVWU-bOhoCiWYQAvD_BwE

Coming back from Vegas last year I had a bag that never showed up. I knew it was on the plane because I tracked it into the luggage compartment when I got on. I could see on the App it was about 200ft away, long story short it got stuck on one of the belts. I put a tracer in all luggage, backpack etc....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least you didn't lose your wedding dress as one Cunard passenger did a couple of years ago.  They never located the bag, even though the last bag standing in the terminal had contact information for another passenger.  That passenger never claimed the bag nor did they ever contact Cunard nor the person whose bag was missing.   It was a big thread  over there.

2 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

At least you didn't lose your wedding dress as one Cunard passenger did a couple of years ago.  They never located the bag, even though the last bag standing in the terminal had contact information for another passenger.  That passenger never claimed the bag nor did they ever contact Cunard nor the person whose bag was missing.   It was a big thread  over there.

Wow...  Just Wow...

Who ends up w/ someone else's luggage - let alone something as personal & memorable as a Wedding Dress & does not return it?