Seating while going through Panama locks?

Borman51

8 hours ago, skynight said:

We have been in the P.C. 5 times. Each time the schedule was basically the same. The ship arrived in the approach channel around 5am. Initial lock transit began around 6am. It takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to clear the 3 locks and arrive in Gatun Lake. A schedule will be delivered to your cabin. Passengers start gathering on the Sun Deck above the Horizon Ct. very early placing the lounge chairs in forward positions. Passengers also find locations all along the side rails of the Sun Deck, along the Promenade Deck, up on the Sports Deck 16 forward and aft. The decks you mention, 10 and 11 forward do not have any chairs. People come and go. If you bring your own chair you may have some difficulty seeing over the solid railing. The Sanctuary is available for the transit. There is a good sized fee. Book early on boarding day.

If you take a Princess tour you will not be able to see the exit through the locks. Tours return to the docks. If you stay on the ship you can experience the exit through the locks, without commentary. Viewing locations are readily available on exit as many passengers are on tours.

Thanks.  These are some great suggestions.

2 hours ago, Borman51 said:

Yes, I was just thinking of somewhere to rest while waiting for the first locks.  Otherwise, we plan to move around.  I’ll think about the chair cane.  We’re flying, so would probably hav to but it once in Fla and the leave it behind.

Thanks

I haven't used a chair cane, but have seen quite a few being used.  I would think you could carry one onto the airplane and the stewards would probably find a place for it, if not in the overhead bins somewhere else.

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I checked a number of photos of the stern of the Island and they were there.  Did they get removed during a refurbishment and I am only seeing old photos?  I know people are not happy with the changes that were made to the Island, maybe that was one of them.

Emerald deck is the only one left with no seating.

image.thumb.png.c01d5d373c33f86816a74427d2e2a29d.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Borman51 said:

Great pictures!  This makes me even more excited.

Hi Borman51,

I just wanted to show you one of my favorite pictures from the back of the Coral Princess.

one is of the back of the ship we’re I took the pictures from. No one was ever out there and there is lounge chairs out there you just can’t see them in this photo. The second picture is my favorite.  I hope you like it.

Tony

7A4E583F-F19E-437E-9A3D-01ADA6BB1A4D.jpeg

53C030FA-95E1-4B4D-AD37-3C98BCB6FC05.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Borman51,

I just wanted to show you one of my favorite pictures from the back of the Coral Princess.

one is of the back of the ship we’re I took the pictures from. No one was ever out there and there is lounge chairs out there you just can’t see them in this photo. The second picture is my favorite.  I hope you like it.

Tony

7A4E583F-F19E-437E-9A3D-01ADA6BB1A4D.jpeg

53C030FA-95E1-4B4D-AD37-3C98BCB6FC05.jpeg

Thanks.  Is this an area that was taken away from the Island?

4 minutes ago, Borman51 said:

Thanks.  Is this an area that was taken away from the Island?

I was on the Coral Princess not the Island Princess. It was on the Caribe deck 10. The only time someone was out there was for a wedding reception. 

Tony

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Emerald deck is the only one left with no seating.

image.thumb.png.c01d5d373c33f86816a74427d2e2a29d.png

Ok, at first when I read this I thought you meant all the other ones have seating

now I realize that you mean that the Emerald deck is the only deck left and that it has no seating.

got it.

Just now, Borman51 said:

Ok, at first when I read this I thought you meant all the other ones have seating

now I realize that you mean that the Emerald deck is the only deck left and that it has no seating.

got it.

Correct. After I wrote I thought it was a little vague. 😎

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:00 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We had the same experience on the Coral.  The narrative through the canal was great (I think his name was Dr. Godwin) and could be heard in most areas of the ship and over the cabin TV.  We were all over the ship during the day and alternated between forward viewing stations and aft when entering and leaving the locks.  IMHO the people who stake out a single spot are missing out on a lot of the show.  

If you have standing issues, I would suggest taking a portable camp chair on board with you.  You can use it in your cabin in lieu of the barrel chair and it's easy to fold up and carry with you when you want to stand/sit on one of the many viewing areas.

coleman-cooler-chair.w600.h396.jpg

This ^ is exactly what I brought (same color even!)  Many guests commented on what a good idea it was.  Through the cruise a number of fellow guests referred to me as "the chair lady."  I was able to sit right at the railing and when I left to use the bathroom or get a drink, my chair was still mine when I returned.  

1 hour ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

This ^ is exactly what I brought (same color even!)  Many guests commented on what a good idea it was.  Through the cruise a number of fellow guests referred to me as "the chair lady."  I was able to sit right at the railing and when I left to use the bathroom or get a drink, my chair was still mine when I returned.  

but, was it still in the same place ? curious , as a prime railing position "reserved" when you are not seated in it ?

how does that work ?  when loungers ( even more space taken ) are against the railing ...

20 hours ago, voljeep said:

but, was it still in the same place ? curious , as a prime railing position "reserved" when you are not seated in it ?

how does that work ?  when loungers ( even more space taken ) are against the railing ...

Nobody moved my chair while I was in the bathroom.  As I recall, I was on the port side and didn't consider any particular spot "prime" space.  Mine was a small chair, nothing like a chaise; there were no other chairs in the area, just people walking by.  I tucked in against the railing and if it bothered anyone, they didn't say anything.  But I sure did hear "that's a great idea" many times.   

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 5:27 AM, Daniel A said:

One can't tell in advance.  They assign which set of locks the ship passes through that morning.

Thanks, I have read so many comments all  contradicting each other.  Guess I need to listen to my husband and go with the flow (don't tell him though)  l

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we went through the locks yesterday.  How exciting!  I went to deck 10 forward at 5:30AM to make sure there would be room and I was the first one there.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  However, when we got aboard, I discovered that on our balcony ( we are in a mini suite), there are chairs with footstools.  So, I just brought a footstool with me and it worked out great.  I thought I had discovered this great solution, but saw several others who had the same idea. I hope this suggestion helps someone else worried about standing for long periods of time.