Princess Patter and Tablet

musicman85

3 minutes ago, Rusty10 said:

I was on the Regal and I was able to see the patter on my ipad. I was also able to text and send pictures to my family at home thru iMessage with no internet package. 

Thanks! I was wondering about iMessage as well. One of my previous cruises (not on Princess) I was able to use iMessage without an internet package. 

Yes you can. I find the e-patter better than the paper patter in that several times it had different but accurate information as to locations of events. I presume due to changers made after printing the paper version. 

59 minutes ago, EmilyColwell said:

How?

Apple iMessage only needs “wifi” in able to work not an internet connection.  Being logged onto the ships “intranet” is sufficient.  It will only work apple to apple, not apple to android or other.  

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

Apple iMessage only needs “wifi” in able to work not an internet connection.  Being logged onto the ships “intranet” is sufficient.  It will only work apple to apple, not apple to android or other.  

OMG Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that my last couple of cruises. No point in me getting the internet package then.

1 hour ago, EmilyColwell said:

OMG Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that my last couple of cruises. No point in me getting the internet package then.

Just a heads up, I haven’t tried it except on a Ship that had MedallionNet.  It worked there because you can stay logged on to the “intranet” all the time (not the “internet”).  I was able to text home with no problem from my iPad, but it was glitchy when I tried with my phone (in airplane mode and wifi on).  On other ships I had always assumed it wouldn’t work and I kept the wifi off. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EmilyColwell said:

Like t&atravel, I have only experienced this on the MedallionNet. Before my sailing, I had received an email that this was possible; otherwise I would not have known. Text worked with no problem on my iPad and iPhone in airplane mode. Pictures were very slow so I didn’t send any more after my first one. I was just happy that the text worked and my family can reach me in case of emergency. 

I realize that you did not ask about this option but instead of carrying your tablet around all day, why not just fold the paper copy of the Patter or rip out the pages you need and stick it into your pocket.  Seems like a simple low tech solution to me.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

11 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Good to know thanks for the info.

Tony

13 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Can u tell me what settings my iPad & phone should be on? Not very good with them....

15 hours ago, EmilyColwell said:

I don't know if this will work on Princess but on Royal Caribbean for those who didn't have an iPhone Whats App worked for communicating from iPhone to Android or you can go through Facebook Messenger. It's worth a try.

2 hours ago, camper49 said:

Can u tell me what settings my iPad & phone should be on? Not very good with them....

Through settings put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi. If your tablet doesn't have a data plan through your wireless carrier than you just have to be sure wifi is connected.

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I realize that you did not ask about this option but instead of carrying your tablet around all day, why not just fold the paper copy of the Patter or rip out the pages you need and stick it into your pocket.  Seems like a simple low tech solution to me.

DON

I'm trying to come up with pros and cons for my tablet, and carrying it around was a "con" but realized that if you get to a theater real early, there's apps you can use that don't need wifi, and can always use that while waiting in the theater. This makes me really think more about bringing it in addition to viewing the princess patter daily on it too. 

On 8/26/2019 at 4:58 PM, t&atravel said:

Just a heads up, I haven’t tried it except on a Ship that had MedallionNet.  It worked there because you can stay logged on to the “intranet” all the time (not the “internet”).  I was able to text home with no problem from my iPad, but it was glitchy when I tried with my phone (in airplane mode and wifi on).  On other ships I had always assumed it wouldn’t work and I kept the wifi off. 

It works on the Grand. 

• Like 2