Bringing food back on the ship

We are going on a European cruise in Oct 2020, some of our stops include Naples, Athens etc and I'd love to bring back things like oils, olives, cheese on the ship to take home. Can I do that if it's vacuum sealed? I know we can fly home with things in our luggage as long as we declare them at the airport. Just wondering what we can bring back on the ship. I'd be the one wolfing down all the cheese and olives at port if not, lol. 

RCCL policy - However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

The cheese might not be a good idea. Would need to be kept chilled or it will deteriorate into a very smelly mess before you get home. The in cabin ‘fridges’ aren’t cool enough for perishable items, and the temperatures your luggage might reach on the way to and from the airport could be considerable. 

Looks like you will have to pig out on your cruise stops! 

Worth remembering that some food and drink, while great on holiday, doesn’t translate well back home! I’m thinking ouzo and limoncello for starters....

3 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Food is supposed to be pre-packed and sealed to bring it back on.

This policy isn't always followed. We were on an RCI Vision Med/Greece cruise this past May, and the guy in front of us lining up for the tender after porting in Cannes had a box of left over pizza from obviously a restaurant he had lunch in. He had no problem bringing it back onboard but, he did have to put it through the scanner.

And I'm worried about bringing onboard some Holy Donuts from our port stop in Portland Maine this October !?

3 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

The cheese might not be a good idea. Would need to be kept chilled or it will deteriorate into a very smelly mess before you get home. The in cabin ‘fridges’ aren’t cool enough for perishable items, and the temperatures your luggage might reach on the way to and from the airport could be considerable. 

Looks like you will have to pig out on your cruise stops! 

Worth remembering that some food and drink, while great on holiday, doesn’t translate well back home! I’m thinking ouzo and limoncello for starters....

Not all cheese needs to be kept cold, I just don't want to have to toss a bunch when we get back to the ship. Hopefully someone from a European cruise will chime in ;) 

Keep in mind that ship might allow, but US customs might have a difference of opinion.  Have noticed recently that CBP has been cracking down  on food items and especially on those that do not declare. You might want to familiarize yourself with rules on what you can and cannot bring back when it comes to farm products.

18 minutes ago, npcl said:

Keep in mind that ship might allow, but US customs might have a difference of opinion.  Have noticed recently that CBP has been cracking down  on food items and especially on those that do not declare. You might want to familiarize yourself with rules on what you can and cannot bring back when it comes to farm products.

We're in Canada and have brought stuff back/forth to the US so we know the laws ;) I just wasn't sure what the actual rules were when getting back on the ship - I feel like pre-packaged may be my ticket to getting it home. 

4 hours ago, cheeriomom said:

We're in Canada and have brought stuff back/forth to the US so we know the laws 😉 I just wasn't sure what the actual rules were when getting back on the ship - I feel like pre-packaged may be my ticket to getting it home. 

We often travel to Washington state for groceries that we can't buy in Canada. As long as we are honest and show the receipt, there's no problem. We always make sure to find out ahead of time if there's anything we can't bring across the border.

When we were in Key West and wanted to bring back a slice of key lime pie, we were told it needed to be in a sealed package from the bakery, and it went through, no problem.

Our cooler has always been cool enough to keep cheese.

And even if the cheese gets hot in your suitcase, it may change shape, it it firms up with cooled.

I have carried packaged cheese to various places many times in my work travels.  It may not longer be a rectangular block, but it tastes fine and I have not gotten sick from it.

5 hours ago, cheeriomom said:

Not all cheese needs to be kept cold, I just don't want to have to toss a bunch when we get back to the ship. Hopefully someone from a European cruise will chime in 😉

I brought vacuumed sealed cheese back from Amsterdam about 4 years ago without a problem. When you arrive in Canada, the Immigration folks might ask you if you are bringing back any food. Say yes, because cheese is a food. It's vacuumed sealed and should not be a problem. They are mainly looking for meats and other foods not common to Canada.  The oils and olives will probably be in sealed jars...so they won't be a problem.  I've brought back jam, cookies, peanut butter...all sorts of things without a problem from Europe.  Do declare it....it's not a problem.

Sealed items shouldn't be a problem. I've brought back spices, tea, coffee, and candies from many countries back to the U.S. They're my favorite souvenirs. Just make sure any glass containers are wrapped really well!

Cheese I'd be a bit unsure of taking back as on one trip I went to a farmer's market in Ireland the day before our return trip. Had cheese I was assured wouldn't need refrigeration. However, I spent most of the flight back in the bathroom either throwing up or being hit with a bout of diarrhea. Worst flight ever!!

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

And I'm worried about bringing onboard some Holy Donuts from our port stop in Portland Maine this October !?

Yeah.  The security people in the cruise terminal there are REALLY on the lookout for those!  I think that they eat them.  😉

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yeah.  The security people in the cruise terminal there are REALLY on the lookout for those!  I think that they eat them.  😉

Yep...that's my worry as well :classic_tongue:

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

This policy isn't always followed. We were on an RCI Vision Med/Greece cruise this past May, and the guy in front of us lining up for the tender after porting in Cannes had a box of left over pizza from obviously a restaurant he had lunch in. He had no problem bringing it back onboard but, he did have to put it through the scanner.

OMG Holy Donuts on our Anthem cruise on 10/24 is what I was thinking about!

19 hours ago, cheeriomom said:

We are going on a European cruise in Oct 2020, some of our stops include Naples, Athens etc and I'd love to bring back things like oils, olives, cheese on the ship to take home. Can I do that if it's vacuum sealed? I know we can fly home with things in our luggage as long as we declare them at the airport. Just wondering what we can bring back on the ship. I'd be the one wolfing down all the cheese and olives at port if not, lol. 

RCCL policy - However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

Check the following Government  of Canada website. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/menu-eng.html

It outlines what is permissible and not.

57 minutes ago, JR_Angus said:

Check the following Government  of Canada website. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/menu-eng.html

It outlines what is permissible and not.

I'm not concerned with what comes back to Canada - well versed in that. Concerned about what I can bring on in Athens, Mykonos, Naples etc...