Cruise Critic Community
cheeriomom

Bringing food back on the ship

11 hours ago, mikenbon said:

We often travel to Washington state for groceries that we can't buy in Canada. As long as we are honest and show the receipt, there's no problem. We always make sure to find out ahead of time if there's anything we can't bring across the border.

When we were in Key West and wanted to bring back a slice of key lime pie, we were told it needed to be in a sealed package from the bakery, and it went through, no problem.

We've brought on stuff in Key West too 😉

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

And I'm worried about bringing onboard some Holy Donuts from our port stop in Portland Maine this October !?

They made us give up the Holy Donuts when we got back to board the Anthem last year.  We only had two left in the box, thank goodness. 

Edited by barbeyg

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yeah.  The security people in the cruise terminal there are REALLY on the lookout for those!  I think that they eat them.  😉

Yep.  lol

Their eyes lit up when they saw the box.  Hubby gave them to security.  I have no doubt they enjoyed them later. 

On our British Isles cruise last year we brought back numerous sealed foodstuffs.  Cheese and strop waffles from the Netherlands , biscuits and candy from Wales and a few other things.  I was so tired when we got to Atlanta I forgot to declare them.  Luckily, nobody asked.  I didn’t remember until I unpacked the next day.  I won’t make that mistake again.

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

This policy isn't always followed. We were on an RCI Vision Med/Greece cruise this past May, and the guy in front of us lining up for the tender after porting in Cannes had a box of left over pizza from obviously a restaurant he had lunch in. He had no problem bringing it back onboard but, he did have to put it through the scanner.

And I'm worried about bringing onboard some Holy Donuts from our port stop in Portland Maine this October !?

Oh my god.... Holy Donuts...……….  Wow.  So good.

You sir or madam are cruel, mentioning such things when I can't get any.  🙂

20 hours ago, bouhunter said:

In St. Martin LOTS of people bring LARGE blocks of cheese onboard😋

Loads of Sealed in Wax wheels of Gouda are brought on board every time a ship docks there and other Dutch spots..

Last time we docked in Portland Maine, DH could not finish his overly huge slice of fresh blueberry pie he bought at "Two Fat Cats" bakery near the port.  He decided to take it back with us in a see through take out plastic container, without thinking.  They of course flagged him and told us they would have to confiscate the pie.   

Soooo we got out of line, he found a chair next to the security guys, and proceeded to polish that half pie off right in front of them.  The saliva trail they created as he then walked on licking his lips was priceless.  😋🥧

9 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Yep.  lol

Their eyes lit up when they saw the box.  Hubby gave them to security.  I have no doubt they enjoyed them later. 

We won't use the Holy Donuts box..as I think this will be a red flag to security...Will put a few in a bag instead and put them in my large purse...Do you think this will work ?

9 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Yep.  lol

OMG, the LOOKS the workers exchanged as they took our box away!  "Another sucker feeds us."

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

We won't use the Holy Donuts box..as I think this will be a red flag to security...Will put a few in a bag instead and put them in my large purse...Do you think this will work ?

Maybe double baggie them earlier in the day so the smell would dissipate some. We didn’t see any dogs there, but you never know.

They would probably want to wrestle you to the ground with the heavenly smell of those. 😂

Just be aware of packaged meats like sausages.  We had so much European meat (think summer sausage-completely sealed and shelf stable) confiscated in US customs on our return home.  It was such a waste.  

US mostly looking at meats--even canned --and vegetables and fruit.  I have carried bread and cheese back from trips, in suitcases, never a problem.  There are countries that trigger baggage searches but nowadays I do not even see that often.  (France is one)