Cruise Critic Community

Yes, but not on all sailings or ships.

Sometimes the Hotel Director also hosts a dinner.  Captain's table early sitting, Hotel Director's table second sitting.

YopwhAU.jpg

Some Captains do not desire to do it.  It seems it is up to them.

Serenade in April/May Chief Engineer 

Empress in July Hotel Director 

Mariner in August Hotel Director

The Serenade trip had several tables and officers rotated 

Depends on his / her day , sometimes they would rather have take out and nextflicks.  They can send whomever to there table their the Captain, to deal with Pac's ☺

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Depends on his / her day , sometimes they would rather have take out and nextflicks.  They can send whomever to there table their the Captain, to deal with Pac's ☺

Pac's🤔

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Pac's🤔

pacman_icon_2.jpg.75a8c13a58131571a407009b0f5a065e.jpg

I was more impressed with there/their/they're.... used it twice in one sentence, and didn't get either one correct!  

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Not even gonna touch "nextflicks"...

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pac's🤔

Sorry Pax.'s 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Serenade in April/May Chief Engineer 

Empress in July Hotel Director 

Mariner in August Hotel Director

The Serenade trip had several tables and officers rotated 

John, were those your pinnacle meals, or were they the traditional “captains table” that was normally one table in the center of the dining room on a formal night?    Higher level cruisers were often invited to this table, but not always.    Years back, when they held the traditional captains table, there would often be a newer cruiser, newlywed, Royal suite occupant, someone other than a top-tier cruiser that was invited to the table. On our first celebrity cruise, we were invited to join the captains table for dinner. 

Naturally as a pinnacle cruiser you have different benefits than the general public.  It is likely the OP was speaking of the general captains table.    If your experience is the standard general captains table, then it is nice to see that so many ships are still offering it. 

I personally have not seen a standard captains table offered in at least two or three years. I have had the benefit of many lunches or dinners  (and even brunch) with the captain,  and/or other  officers because of my C&A level   but I do not consider that the traditional formal night captains table.  That meal is a result of the “meal  with an officer” benefit  that is offered to diamond plus with a certain number of points, as well as pinnacle cruisers. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

We have been invited to "The Captain's Table" tonight, hosted by the HD.  We're on the Mariner of the Seas.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

John, were those your pinnacle meals, or were they the traditional “captains table” that was normally one table in the center of the dining room on a formal night?    Higher level cruisers were often invited to this table, but not always.    Years back, when they held the traditional captains table, there would often be a newer cruiser, newlywed, Royal suite occupant, someone other than a top-tier cruiser that was invited to the table. On our first celebrity cruise, we were invited to join the captains table for dinner. 

Naturally as a pinnacle cruiser you have different benefits than the general public.  It is likely the OP was speaking of the general captains table.    If your experience is the standard general captains table, then it is nice to see that so many ships are still offering it. 

I personally have not seen a standard captains table offered in at least two or three years. I have had the benefit of many lunches or dinners  (and even brunch) with the captain,  and/or other  officers because of my C&A level   but I do not consider that the traditional formal night captains table.  That meal is a result of the “meal  with an officer” benefit  that is offered to diamond plus with a certain number of points, as well as pinnacle cruisers. 

M

The OP is close to Pinnacle.

Th Serenade tables were no Pins at all. We did a Pinnacle Lunch. Our son got the invite. He's gold, but a former reactor operator on a forward deployed carrier (Reagan)

The Empress was a table of Pins, however, we still did the traditional Pinnacle Lunch. Empress also did more MDR tables, some were for upper suites.

Mariner was in lieu of Pinnacle lunch. It's a recent development, new HD.

Edited by John&LaLa

Our first Captains Table was in '96 on Royal Majesty. It was with Staff Captain.  We were doing B2B on a 3/4. We got the invite via the CD.  B2B wasn't all that common back then and the CD asked us not to spoil the pool games for the leg2 passengers. 

I am wondering?  How do you get invited, is it a personal invite or a note delivered to your stateroom?  Is the menu specially chosen.  Just curious, we will probably never be invited, would like to live vicariously thru others.  Is it like an episode of “The Love Boat”?😄

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I am wondering?  How do you get invited, is it a personal invite or a note delivered to your stateroom?  Is the menu specially chosen.  Just curious, we will probably never be invited, would like to live vicariously thru others.  Is it like an episode of “The Love Boat”?😄

Sometimes a call, usually a formal invitation, special menu, good wine, meet up in a lounge prior to dinner, generally a photo, assigned seating.

2-3 hour meal, don't plan on doing much else.

Dress nicely

Edited by John&LaLa

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our first Captains Table was in '96 on Royal Majesty. It was with Staff Captain.  We were doing B2B on a 3/4. We got the invite via the CD.  B2B wasn't all that common back then and the CD asked us not to spoil the pool games for the leg2 passengers. 

Things were a bit different back in 96. 

Glad you  enjoyed 

M

6 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Most times for us, it's a note delivered to the stateroom.    Most times a special menu, sometimes not.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The OP is close to Pinnacle.

Th Serenade tables were no Pins at all. We did a Pinnacle Lunch. Our son got the invite. He's gold, but a former reactor operator on a forward deployed carrier (Reagan)

The Empress was a table of Pins, however, we still did the traditional Pinnacle Lunch. Empress also did more MDR tables, some were for upper suites.

Mariner was in lieu of Pinnacle lunch. It's a recent development, new HD.

Thanks, so it seems to be someone of a hybrid. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Just now, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks, so it seems to be someone of a hybrid. 

M

Yes, ships are definitely different,  and it is something from bygone days

I sail Mariner Monday, I'll see what happens.  They met in Bamboo Room. 

1 hour ago, TinkBellaMom said:

CApLQmw.jpg

4N5Enmi.jpg

They follow up with a phone call to ensure you plan to attend. If someone declines they'll find another guest to occupy the seat.

8WnOBEu.jpg

Both were quite enjoyable.  Julie our HD and Jorge our GSM are long time employees with a lot of stories and experiences on many different ships and in different positions.  Quite entertaining.

From what I understand the host can pick their guests, it is not based on C&A ranking but that is certainly a factor.  "No complainers".  They want everyone to have a good dinner experience.  If you've spent a lot of time at guest services complaining about things like the pillow case is too white is you might not get invited.  :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Twangster -  did you get invited twice on one night?

M

Different cruises.  I did a B2B, off for a week then back on.  

But yeah, I got invited to both the Captain's Table and Hotel Director's table on the last one.  Louis sent out invites then the HD requested a change so I did the HD table the 2nd time again.  From what I had heard the HD table was better, the Captain wasn't very big on talking so it wasn't a very lively dinner experience compared to dinner with Julie and Jorge which is always social and enjoyable.

In 1997 on the Majesty, if I remember correctly,  our entire table, 3 couples, was invited.  No status involved. One couple were new cruisers but ne worked for an airline that had a relationship with RCCL.  The Maitre D came over and asked if we would mind going to 1st seating the next evening and then explained why. Of course we said yes.  It was very nice, cocktails early, special menu and wine and table picture signed by captain.  No special status though celebrating dh's birthday that week.

On the Brilliance in 2014 the HD was to host but due to a last minute itinerary cruise the FB manager got to host.  We were in GS that time, one of those free surprise upgrades that seem to have disappeared. 

Looks like a very nice occasion.  Maybe we will get invited someday.  I love to hear others stories about cruising.  We have met some fascinating people on our own while cruising, on excursions, and once while sharing a cab.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

Cut and pasted from another thread I responded to..."50 years Royal Caribbean...share your memories"

Favorite memory: New Year's Eve dinner...2015 to 2016...Voyager of the Seas...sailing from Sydney, Australia.......got an invitation to join the Captain for dinner.  First we thought it was a joke...very nearly threw away the invitation.

We then asked Guest Relations if the invitation was legit...it was.  "You have been invited to the Captain's Table for New Year's Eve".

What a wonderful dinner......a great group of tablemates, free flowing wine, truly fine dishes and utensils, free group photos, and a menu to die for.   To this day, we still don't know how/why we were selected.  Thank you Royal Caribbean! :classic_smile:

Edited by bonsai3s
typo

Been invited 6 times on 3 different cruise lines. Honored 4 of them.  The other one was for the Captain's cabin for a sail away cocktail hour from St. Thomas.  It was a lot of fun!