Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

 I have no advanced knowledge of engineering, architecture  or hurricanes,  but how strong are the new structures In Coco Cay  and what type of storm can they likely stand? 

 

Thx

m

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big one.  

 

I doubt anyone here on Cruise Critic has the detailed engineering knowledge of how the structures on CocoCay were designed to properly answer your question.

 

We can speculate and assume that they are engineered to handle storms but not specifically what strength of storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to believe that with the estimated $200 million investment made by RCI in CocoCay, they were intelligent enough to have studies relative to the potential weather that could affect the island completed and structures designed to withstand that in order to protect their investment.  More importantly it is not something I would be concerned with as it is highly unlikely that any ships would be making a port of call there in any type of threatening weather.

 

But also agree that it is not likely that anyone on this forum will have accurate knowledge regarding the engineered strength of the structures.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a south Florida resident and a veteran of several hurricanes, I can’t imagine any building going on without considering the survivability of a storm.  It may even be the law, like here in our state.  I wouldn’t worry about it, cruise companies are very careful with their investments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told the new waterslide tower is designed to survive sustained 150MPH winds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would have to believe that with the estimated $200 million investment made by RCI in CocoCay, they were intelligent enough to have studies relative to the potential weather that could affect the island completed and structures designed to withstand that in order to protect their investment.  More importantly it is not something I would be concerned with as it is highly unlikely that any ships would be making a port of call there in any type of threatening weather.

 

But also agree that it is not likely that anyone on this forum will have accurate knowledge regarding the engineered strength of the structures.  

 Thanks, I wouldn’t expect any ship to venture close by if there was a serious storm. I was thinking more of the structures. The last time we were there (  this was after all the renovations ) we just kind of looked at each other and said “wow,  hope the big storm doesn’t wipe this place out”       Happy that we might be incorrect! 

 

 It might be an interesting question to ask at the next captains cornet  

 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 It might be an interesting question to ask at the next captains cornet  

 

M

 

That might make for some entertaining fodder as Captains come up with something to say.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

 

 

But also agree that it is not likely that anyone on this forum will have accurate knowledge regarding the engineered strength of the structures.  

I do find it interesting that the Oasis pool is not plaster surfaced, but has a vinyl liner...maybe for that exact reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to This Article   “Perfect Day’s structures, including the iconic Daredevil’s Tower, were designed, built and tested to withstand a Category 5 hurricane.”  I think it’s safe to assume they don’t mean the cabanas and rooftops over places such as the Oasis Lagoon bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

I do find it interesting that the Oasis pool is not plaster surfaced, but has a vinyl liner...maybe for that exact reason.

 

I suspect the sandy soil conditions and being a few inches above the water table are factors as well. 

 

If a strong storm hits there will be some damage.  Decorative panels ripped off, trees down,  roof damage,  water and sand in places where it isn't wanted, but the primary core structures should be okay.  

 

If a big storm hits they will have to close it while they restore it.  On Jost Van Dyke the famous bars on the beach had sand up to the roof line.  They had to move massive volumes of sand and then make repairs from sand and surge.  The same would occur on CocoCay so while it is designed to withstand strong storms that doesn't mean they will re-open the next day without having to do anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twangster said:

 

I suspect the sandy soil conditions and being a few inches above the water table are factors as well. 

 

If a strong storm hits there will be some damage.  Decorative panels ripped off, trees down,  roof damage,  water and sand in places where it isn't wanted, but the primary core structures should be okay.  

 

If a big storm hits they will have to close it while they restore it.  On Jost Van Dyke the famous bars on the beach had sand up to the roof line.  They had to move massive volumes of sand and then make repairs from sand and surge.  The same would occur on CocoCay so while it is designed to withstand strong storms that doesn't mean they will re-open the next day without having to do anything. 

Exactly, surge will blow right over that island, hardly any height above sea level now with exception of the East side coral banks, so some sand will be deposited.  But I think it should fare fairly well.  We will be there Sept. 12th, I may report back since Dorian would have gone through.  Weather looks good for our stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anton said:

I think it’s safe to assume they don’t mean the cabanas and rooftops over places such as the Oasis Lagoon bar.

 

Those structures are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, probably less so than building them to be indestructible in the first place.  But roofless or not, just as long as the Oasis Lagoon bar can still serve drinks.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...