Hurricane Dorian talk

8 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what THE Hurricane has in store for our car parked 1/8th of a mile from the beach in a lot in Port Canaveral. Thankfully its fully insured. And as frequent cruisers we Always Buy Travel Insurance!

Low tide is 4am Monday morning = good

High tide around 10am = bad

726242760_Screenshot_20190829-105647_TideChartFREE.thumb.jpg.fad239f904245e1948d25912d6cfcda9.jpg

In 2016, Mathew passed us at low tide, no surge. Passed Flagler Beach at high tide, big surge

Edited by John&LaLa

10 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what THE Hurricane has in store for our car parked 1/8th of a mile from the beach in a lot in Port Canaveral. Thankfully its fully insured. And as frequent cruisers we Always Buy Travel Insurance!

How about this... ask Captain Johnny to come in early Saturday to let you off and get your car out of there safely. I'll jump on for our 9/1 sailing and stay in your cabin until they figure everything else out.  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Southwest handles this better than most airlines.  As soon as she gets the notice that she is going to miss her flight she can go online and reschedule it.  She will have to pay the fare difference but her current flight will be a credit towards that.  Travel insurance will reimburse her for the difference but she will need to get proof from Royal that her cruise was extended, so make sure she saves any letters and such that they give her.  

When our oasis cruise was extended for three days two years ago, a letter was left in everyone’s cabin to be used for insurance, for work related or school related issues.   

M

Effective 1 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) set port condition Whiskey for Port Canaveral terminals and facilities due to the expectation of sustained gale force winds generated by Hurricane Dorian that may arrive within 72 hours.

These ports and facilities are currently open to all commercial traffic and all transfer operations may continue while Whiskey remains in effect.

Sustained winds between 39 and 54 mph are possible within 72 hours. Mariners are reminded there are no safe havens in these facilities, and ports are safest when the inventory of vessels is at a minimum. All ocean-going commercial vessels and ocean-going barges greater than 500 gross tons should make plans for departing the port.

Vessels desiring to remain in port must immediately contact the COTP to receive permission and are required to submit a safe mooring plan in writing. Vessels bound for Port Canaveral unable to depart 24 hours prior to threatening winds making landfall are advised to seek an alternate destination.

Pleasure craft are advised to seek safe harbor. Drawbridges may not be operating if sustained winds reach 25 mph or when an evacuation is in progress. Port facilities are advised to review their heavy weather plans and take all necessary precautions to adequately prepare for the expected conditions. Mariners can view the latest port updates on the Coast Guard’s Homeport site.

If and when port condition Yankee is set, meaning sustained gale force winds are expected within 24 hours, vessel movement shall be restricted, and all movements must be approved by the captain of the port.

13 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

No just wrong news! 

Correct, he had it backwards.  Many ships switched from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean for this week.  I am on a Western Caribbean cruise right now and there have been extra ships at each port.  We arrived at Grand Cayman today one hour earlier and will leave one hour early this afternoon.  The ship plans to get to FFL early on Saturday.

28 minutes ago, Tagsalong said:

Effective 1 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) set port condition Whiskey for Port Canaveral terminals and facilities due to the expectation of sustained gale force winds generated by Hurricane Dorian that may arrive within 72 hours.

This is also in effect for Port Everglades and Miami.  https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/MSIB_19_017_Port_Condition_Whiskey_0ef041d7-5886-4f3c-a65c-8c3358323ec8.pdf

We're (supposed to be) heading out on Symphony on Saturday. Not sure what our options are... Waiting for 6PM to hopefully have a better idea. 

We have travel insurance through CSA but I wonder how coverage is going to work out in terms of flights if the cruise is either cancelled, delayed, etc. We may just be out of luck with our flight costs if that is the case... wondering if anybody has experience before I call CSA. 

11 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

We're (supposed to be) heading out on Symphony on Saturday. Not sure what our options are... Waiting for 6PM to hopefully have a better idea. 

We have travel insurance through CSA but I wonder how coverage is going to work out in terms of flights if the cruise is either cancelled, delayed, etc. We may just be out of luck with our flight costs if that is the case... wondering if anybody has experience before I call CSA. 

I would hope that if the cruise is cancelled, they would cover the flights.  It's all part of the same vacation, though you never know with insurance companies.

11 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I just checked on my travel insurance which I have with my Bank of America card. I was told. If I cancel the trip because of the weather I will receive a full refund because I used the card to pay for it. I live right were it is to hit and do not want to take the cruise if it is not cancelled.

5 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I just checked on my travel insurance which I have with my Bank of America card. I was told. If I cancel the trip because of the weather I will receive a full refund because I used the card to pay for it. I live right were it is to hit and do not want to take the cruise if it is not cancelled.

Nice coverage, what is that credit card called?  It's not the RC Visa I assume.

29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I would hope that if the cruise is cancelled, they would cover the flights.  It's all part of the same vacation, though you never know with insurance companies.

I had forgotten to check Delta. They are offering free cancellation (issuing future credits) for those who cancel flights between Sunday-Wednesday. So we should be fine there. I fly enough that wouldn't be an issue at all. 

1 hour ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what 

In Roatan “with you” on Harmony. I’m thinking like you regarding Wednesday. I hope your car is safe and sound. 

Hope all goes will -  A few yeas ago when Oaiss had this same weather issues ( ok - likely a bit less) many left the ship at   the Cozumel stop.  That likely would have been a Thursday or Friday.   By that time, I think we already knew we would not rerun back until Monday at the   earliest ( we actually returned to PC on Wednesday)  , and folks needed to get home.  Those flying home  just flew from Mexico  back home.  I have no knowledge of the hassles, delays, costs etc. 

I can see that  extensive travel from Roatan is a more difficult than from Cozumel.

Again - to those on board, or hoping to catch a ship., please remember safety first!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Since you guys live in Florida have you heard anything about possible evacuations or any other local insider information about the storm?

Nothing unique yet.

Publix is out of water, but I'm sure they'll get more. For Irma, FEMA and National Guard (I think) was distributing cases of water at Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island Mall.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

They keep putting it off, giving people less and less time to make changes.

I don't know think that it's intentional.  Some reports are showing that the storm might not make landfall until as late as Tuesday.  There are a lot of factors to consider. They don't want to strand people on a ship longer than necessary, or delay people waiting to embark if they don't have to.

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Nothing unique yet.

Publix is out of water, but I'm sure they'll get more. For Irma, FEMA and National Guard (I think) was distributing cases of water at Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island Mall.

Do you stay put during these storms/hurricane threats or do you high tail it to higher ground! What are you planning for this one?