Hurricane Dorian talk

41 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

How does the ship let you know when to come to port? 

Ensure that your contact information is accurate and up to date on your reservation - assuming you booked direct.  The cruise line will contact you, initially via email.  You should also check in with the cruise line periodically as plans and information will be fluid and changeable.  I wouldn't worry too much as Dorian should remain a TS, the trick will be conditions that allow the ship the enter the channel for Port Canaveral.

If it's in your budget, I would reach out to Air2Sea desk and see if they can shift you to a day prior with hotel.  The fallout from weather disruptions and cancelled flights will have a ripple effect all over the system.  It will leave many flights overbooked and unavailable for a day or more after the weather has cleared.

If you decide to pursue this option, do it now because the flights on Saturday will fill up with people trying to travel before the disruptions start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sorcerer Tim said:

We were on the same Harmony cruise as cruisegirl and they could not have handled it better. We were kept informed through daily, sometimes hourly announcements, information was on the televisions in the room, our cabin attendant and Genie kept us up to date. We had internet, but the ship made it free at certain times so people could check and change flights, contact family, etc. There was no shortage of things to do, they added two port stops and we were never in danger. That has been my only experience getting delayed by a hurricane, but if it happens again I know we will be in good hands.

See post #4

4 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Our seven day cruise ended up being ten days

Silly question in the grand scheme of things,  but did you get 7 or 10 days credit to your C&A??

I seem to recall it was 10. Laura was on the 4 day after and got 7, which became 21 since solo and JS.

I got nothing.😥

But it was free. 😁

Half OBC in cash, the rest an FCC, I think

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tface023 said:

Hey all!  Long time cruiser, first time poster.  I'm supposed to be sailing out of Port Canaveral on Sunday, right in the teeth of the hurricane.  I've never been on a cruise impacted by weather.  I booked my incoming flight same day through Air2Sea, but I definitely expect there will be delays.  What will likely happen if my flight can't get in on time, or the ship can't dock on time?

Based on the forcast you won't be in the teeth, but rather in an unpredictable cone.  You are most likely flying to Orlando, no where near where the hurricane "might" be on Sunday.  So the worst case is the ship is delayed, but not your flight.  Even now that is questionable if the ship would be delayed because the storm is going slow turn north, and the ship is going South

• Like 1

11 hours ago, minnie00 said:

How does the ship let you know when to come to port? 

They texted us to keep us informed when our cruise was shortened to 4 days a few years ago.  We were on Oasis and they gave us 50% of our money back (minus taxes and fees) in cash on the ship and the other 50% minus taxes and fees toward a future cruise.  The ship was less than half full.

My best friend cancelled and they gave her a future cruise credit, but she had to take two cruises to use it up, because they wouldn't let her use it toward the deposit.  We definitely made out better by taking the shortened cruise.

20 hours ago, tface023 said:

Hey all!  Long time cruiser, first time poster.  I'm supposed to be sailing out of Port Canaveral on Sunday, right in the teeth of the hurricane.  I've never been on a cruise impacted by weather.  I booked my incoming flight same day through Air2Sea, but I definitely expect there will be delays.  What will likely happen if my flight can't get in on time, or the ship can't dock on time?

As of 11:00 AM today 8/28 it is expected to hit around Daytona as a cat 3, 115 mph winds or stronger. land fall on Monday. I would accept all cruises expecting leaving Port canaveral As early as Friday maybe Saturday might be cancelled. Carnival notified us on a hurricane cancelled cruise only one day prior to the cruise. Hopefully they will do it at least 2 or 3 days before your scheduled departure.

55 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

As of 11:00 AM today 8/28 it is expected to hit around Daytona as a cat 3, 115 mph winds or stronger. land fall on Monday. I would accept all cruises expecting leaving Port canaveral As early as Friday maybe Saturday might be cancelled. Carnival notified us on a hurricane cancelled cruise only one day prior to the cruise. Hopefully they will do it at least 2 or 3 days before your scheduled departure.

I doubt it very seriously....Cruises scheduled to leave Friday and Saturday will leave as scheduled....the ships need to leave .....now the question will be if the Port closes prior to their return...those 3 day cruises will likely turn into 4+ day cruises.   As it stands now....cruises leaving the day of the hurricane out of PC...possibly the Sunday and Monday departures...well....those may very well end up cancelled or there may be a remote chance of switching departure out of a different Florida port. 

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I doubt it very seriously....Cruises scheduled to leave Friday and Saturday will leave as scheduled....the ships need to leave .....now the question will be if the Port closes prior to their return...those 3 day cruises will likely turn into 4+ day cruises.   As it stands now....cruises leaving the day of the hurricane out of PC...possibly the Sunday and Monday departures...well....those may very well end up cancelled or there may be a remote chance of switching departure out of a different Florida port. 

Unfortunately for me, mine leaves on Sunday.  My flight gets in to MCO around 9am, which means I personally would get to PC around 11 or so.  But if the storm is right off the coast, I don't know what will happen.  My fingers are tightly crossed!

Just now, tface023 said:

Unfortunately for me, mine leaves on Sunday.  My flight gets in to MCO around 9am, which means I personally would get to PC around 11 or so.  But if the storm is right off the coast, I don't know what will happen.  My fingers are tightly crossed!

Depending on the intensity of the weather, you may not even get to MCO.  Airlines are much quicker to cancel flights these days.

Im on the same cruise.  Im just awaiting the cancellation option that I hope they will give.  Im not going through all the mess of traveling and putting myself in jeopardy of a Cat 3 hurricane for a 3-4 day cruise.  I just want my money back at this point.  Im over it. 😞 

• Like 1

looks like our update is now tomorrow at 3...per my email

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Yesterday, we shared that after reviewing Tropical Storm Dorian’s strength and path, we decided to close CocoCay until Wednesday, September 4th, 2019, which impacts your itinerary. Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 Bahamian locals and it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible. Please know, we evaluated all options, and this is the best decision, as there is no room for error when it comes to the safety and security of our guests, crew, and employees. This is our top priority.

We’ve been closely monitoring the weather projections, along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet. And currently, the American and European weather models have the storm going two separate ways. So, to ensure we provide you with the best itinerary, we’re going to wait a bit more to evaluate the new data, which we’ll receive this afternoon. Then, we’ll work to confirm some great alternate ports for your upcoming sailing and share your new itinerary with you by tomorrow, August 29th, 3:00 PM EST.

Any pre-purchased Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for CocoCay will be refunded to your onboard expense account in the form of a credit. If your onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will be refunded to your credit card on file.

We are terribly sorry for this last-minute change, but appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this unexpected circumstance. We remain confident that you’ll have a wonderful vacation with us!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

42 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I do know that ships will leave port if the winds get to high or are predicted to get to high for the ship to maneuver out of the port safely. I do not know how strong before they leave the port to weather the hurricane at sea.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Any how. It looks like our Allure cruise Sunday out of Fort Lauderdale is a GO. Glad it is not Port Canaveral this time.

Is it possible that the Port Canaveral departures will be moved to Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

31 minutes ago, tface023 said:

If the current predictions hold up (which they obviously might not), it's doubtful anyone will be flying into MCO on Sunday.150322_most_likely_toa_no_wsp_34.png

8 minutes ago, tface023 said:

Is it possible that the Port Canaveral departures will be moved to Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

That is the only possible way I will still consider this cruise.  I will even drive to FLL on my dime!