Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Tagsalong said:

 Look at the Nassau webcam and it's like no hurricane was even out there.  And it is in the outer bands similar to Coco Cay.

I have been watching that webcam off and on most of the day. They have got rain and some wind but not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

 

I’m talking about the Allure, not the Harmony.  The Allure was scheduled back to Port Everglades today. 

 

Did the Harmony sail out of Port Canaveral?

 

Yes, Port Canaveral for us and we were scheduled to return today as well. 

 

I have a friend on Allure and she said they are safe and sound. She isn’t sure about a Wednesday return but she is rolling with it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

Yes, Port Canaveral for us and we were scheduled to return today as well. 

 

I have a friend on Allure and she said they are safe and sound. She isn’t sure about a Wednesday return but she is rolling with it. 

 

 

Thanks. My daughter is on the Allure too. I’m not worried about her safety. I’m worried about her getting home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the chances are of Perfect Day being destroyed in this hurricane? I feel like 185 mph winds and those tall slides dont really bode well together, but maybe this is something RC thought of before building this park?

I am worried that my upcoming cruise in a month will not be visiting CocoCay if it sustains substantial damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Thanks. My daughter is on the Allure too. I’m not worried about her safety. I’m worried about her getting home. 

 

Understood. My MIL is well, and like you she knows we are safe and sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Coco Cay is spared a direct hit, the people that work there might have suffered a lot of damage in their homes, and might not be able to work right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

This is upsetting us.

 

first our Harmony cruise gets postponed.  Being the glass half full type of people, we say OK now we can have a hurricane party.  Now the hurricane is most likely not coming to Orlando so we can’t have the party.  What are we going to do, 😂

 

I don't know what to say about this..

 

And don't count out Orlando as getting no affects from this storm.  Come back and tell us how much fun it is to have no power for a long time, it could happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is the Dorian thread, but just FYI ahead that there is another system they are now watching (Invest 91L) BUT so far most forecasters think it will just head out to sea and not affect anyone. I'm sooo hoping that's right :classic_wink: Still something future cruisers might want to watch.

 

WwZaJBP.png

 

yuALog.gif

Edited by SeaHunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there is a webcam on Coco Cay? What's the latest on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Does anyone know if there is a webcam on Coco Cay? What's the latest on it?

 

No webcam.  No info from Coco Cay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're in Boynton Beach, which is just south of West Palm Beach. If you look outside right now, it is a bright, beautiful day. Except the wind is really picking up. We're all boarded up, geared up and ready for what ever happens. We're sailing next Saturday on Symphony and I really don't foresee any problems.  Miami isn't going to take a big hit at all. From what I've read, St Thomas and St Kitts came through it pretty well. Per RCL, no changes in itinerary as of now.  The Bahamas will be devastated, no doubt about that, so if you were going there, not now.  I have no idea about Coco Cay.

I've lived in Florida since the 80's and DH has been here all his life. Make no mistake, this is a huge storm and will leave a lot of destruction in it's wake.  We have to board up every few years now and it's getting worse and more often.  For those of you who think it's some kind of 'hoax', I say you need to wise up and face reality. IMHO we have passed the point of no return. 

Be Safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Does anyone know if there is a webcam on Coco Cay? What's the latest on it?

There is a Marsh Harbor webcam

Not so calm there

Edited by ATC cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

I know this is the Dorian thread, but just FYI ahead that there is another system they are now watching (Invest 91L) BUT so far most forecasters think it will just head out to sea and not affect anyone. I'm sooo hoping that's right :classic_wink: Still something future cruisers might want to watch.

 

WwZaJBP.png

 

yuALog.gif

 

 

We call this a fish storm.  Heading out to sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

 

Here’s the 2PM update from the National Hurricane Center.

10 miles is nothing in a storm of this magnitude.

 

HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER AND TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES (220 KM).

 

 

 

Hurricane force winds begin at 74 mph... which is a HUGE difference of 180 mph. This is my point. If faced w/ a hurricane,  I'll take the 74 mph hurricane winds over the 180 mph.  The further from the eye, the less damages of the wind. Ten miles will, can, and does make a huge difference when it comes to damages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tagsalong said:

Such exaggeration.  I know you mean well but Coco Cay will have minimal damage.

 

As was posted above: "HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER AND TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES (220 KM)."  And tropical storm winds will not damage Coco Cay.

 

Storm surge will be 1 to 2 feet if that.   Look at the Nassau webcam and it's like no hurricane was even out there.  And it is in the outer bands similar to Coco Cay.

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

You are welcome to your opinion - time will tell what the outcome will be. Nassau has nothing to do with an island 100+ miles north of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vitesacd said:

I wonder what the chances are of Perfect Day being destroyed in this hurricane? I feel like 185 mph winds and those tall slides dont really bode well together, but maybe this is something RC thought of before building this park?

I am worried that my upcoming cruise in a month will not be visiting CocoCay if it sustains substantial damage

Wow...the people of the Bahamas are in the worst storm...losing their houses and possibily their lives...but you are worried about your perfect day at Cococay? WOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, korpo024 said:

Wow...the people of the Bahamas are in the worst storm...losing their houses and possibily their lives...but you are worried about your perfect day at Cococay? WOW

 

Wow what?

 

Yes. The fact is... this is a thread on cruising. Not the people of the Bahamas. Specifically, this message board on cruising is about the effects of the cruises because of Hurricane Dorian. No matter what we post, say, or think, will not change the outcome of those effected by Dorian. So please put things into perspective. If you want others to post about the worries of the peeps in the Bahamas, start a new/different thread or better yet, go to another mesage board. But I will as many others will, continue to post about the changes and cancellations of their cruise vaqcations. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Wow what?

 

Yes. The fact is... this is a thread on cruising. Not the people of the Bahamas. Specifically, this message board on cruising is about the effects of the cruises because of Hurricane Dorian. No matter what we post, say, or think, will not change the outcome of those effected by Dorian. So please put things into perspective. If you want others to post about the worries of the peeps in the Bahamas, start a new/different thread or better yet, go to another mesage board. But I will as many others will, continue to post about the changes and cancellations of their cruise vaqcations. 

 

 

 

touchy touchy LOL I guess you're from the US?! Hahahaha....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I live in Panama City, Fl. (850-Strong).  On Oct. 10, 2018 we stayed in our home and rode out Hurricane Michael, a category 5.  It took us 5 months before we could get a roof back on our home.  We live on a cul-de-sac and when we walked out of our home, we didn't recognize our neighborhood.  I have lived here all my life and never experienced a hurricane like Michael, so folks I don't believe Coco Cay will reopen for a very long time.  We just got our Motorhome out of the repair shop, it had over $18, 000 damage from the hurricane.  We lived in it with blue tarps over the entire MH until June, 2019.  Our home is still not completely repaired, but we can live in some rooms, and we booked a cruise on Mariner for Sept. 23, 2019 last year before the storm hit us, and we probably will not be going to Coco Cay either.    RCCL does their best to keep you safe, so if you book and your cruise doesn't go as planned, just be thankful they do what they think is best for your safety.  We always buy insurance to protect us, and we had to  

use it in Sept.2017, we had to cancel our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, because the roads were blocked between the panhandle and there, we were going to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, so we rebooked a cruise for October 21, 2018 and Hurricane Michael hit us on Oct. 10, 2018 and we couldn't leave our home because of all the damages, so again we are trying for Sept. 23, 2019.  Our anniversary is Sept. 9th.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, korpo024 said:

touchy touchy LOL I guess you're from the US?! Hahahaha....

 

Damn right I am and proud of it too. So don’t be about this board attempting to shame me or any American for that matter. Where I’m from and/or where your from is irrelevant. This thread is about Dorian and cruises effected by it. Not whether I’m happy/sad of the outcome and most definitely not about my country of origin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bc cruiser said:

Hi everyone, I live in Panama City, Fl. (850-Strong).  On Oct. 10, 2018 we stayed in our home and rode out Hurricane Michael, a category 5.  It took us 5 months before we could get a roof back on our home.  We live on a cul-de-sac and when we walked out of our home, we didn't recognize our neighborhood.  I have lived here all my life and never experienced a hurricane like Michael, so folks I don't believe Coco Cay will reopen for a very long time.  We just got our Motorhome out of the repair shop, it had over $18, 000 damage from the hurricane.  We lived in it with blue tarps over the entire MH until June, 2019.  Our home is still not completely repaired, but we can live in some rooms, and we booked a cruise on Mariner for Sept. 23, 2019 last year before the storm hit us, and we probably will not be going to Coco Cay either.    RCCL does their best to keep you safe, so if you book and your cruise doesn't go as planned, just be thankful they do what they think is best for your safety.  We always buy insurance to protect us, and we had to  

use it in Sept.2017, we had to cancel our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, because the roads were blocked between the panhandle and there, we were going to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, so we rebooked a cruise for October 21, 2018 and Hurricane Michael hit us on Oct. 10, 2018 and we couldn't leave our home because of all the damages, so again we are trying for Sept. 23, 2019.  Our anniversary is Sept. 9th.  

 

Happy Anniversary! I hope you make the cruise this time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Damn right I am and proud of it too. So don’t be about this board attempting to shame me or any American for that matter. Where I’m from and/or where your from is irrelevant. This thread is about Dorian and cruises effected by it. Not whether I’m happy/sad of the outcome and most definitely not about my country of origin. 

 

Thank you for the support lol. Obviously the people of the Bahamas are priority, I was just wondering what RC would do if their island was destroyed after all that hype. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st September update from RCL says nothing has changed and Harmony will be still docking 4th September however Marine Traffic is saying different .

 

Maybe they will see if Dorian clears quicker or else it will be down to a 3 night cruise for us. After seeing what's hapenned in the Bahamas I'm really not all that bothered about missing a few days cruising   those peoples lives are ruined.

Screenshot_20190901-182842_MarineTraffic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bc cruiser Wow! Congrats on so many years of being together, and kudos for keeping a hopeful outlook despite getting pummeled 2 years in a row! I haven't seen much info on the recovery from Michael, so your experience is very instructive. It also shows how long the Bahamas may take to recover from Dorian. 

 

Good luck on your cruise, and, 8 days early, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...