Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Perhaps I might have missed the thread, but was there anything posted about the effects of hurricane Dorian at CocoCay or did it spare that location?

There were a few pics posted which made it seem like the location was spared - won't know for sure for a couple of more days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

several years ago just prior to a storm the barefoot windjammer cruise brought the passengers in... dropped them off and went back out to sea only to be lost at sea... the decision was that the ship would be safer at sea than at the dock.. all crew was lost in that storm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bc cruiser said:

We were without power and water for over 2 weeks after hurricane Michael hit us last Oct.  No landline or Verizon phone service  or internet for months.  

 

 

Hurricane Andrew - before cell phones were common - we were 6 weeks without power, another two for landline, and cable didn't get hooked up for 4 months.  Recovery from a major storm takes time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, flamingos said:

 

 

Hurricane Andrew - before cell phones were common - we were 6 weeks without power, another two for landline, and cable didn't get hooked up for 4 months.  Recovery from a major storm takes time.

A group of us had a rental on Marathon in Nov. after Irma and thought for sure it would not be available.  The rental was slightly battered but the damage to poor Marathon and elsewhere was indescribable.  The very weird thing was that we took three  day trips to Key West and you would never know there was a hurricane 2 1/2 months ago in Key West.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bc cruiser said:

We were without power and water for over 2 weeks after hurricane Michael hit us last Oct.  No landline or Verizon phone service  or internet for months.  

My friend has a condo in Panama City beach and we were there this April.  It was still struggling in the area.  Mexico beach was horrifying.  I feel that Michael's devastation did not get the press it deserved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

A group of us had a rental on Marathon in Nov. after Irma and thought for sure it would not be available.  The rental was slightly battered but the damage to poor Marathon and elsewhere was indescribable.  The very weird thing was that we took three  day trips to Key West and you would never know there was a hurricane 2 1/2 months ago in Key West.  

We sailed out Sep 15, just a few days after Irma... Key West was dropped as our first stop.... but on our way back I heard that it had opened and was relatively free of damage vs Marathon... you never know with these things. On this same trip Irma side effects... cause power outages in parts of Atlanta... we were actually an island of power in our area... The challenge when cruising during hurricane season.. is figuring out how you are going to get to port... because odds are your ship will sail... so you want to get there... since it is questionable when travel insurance will kick in and what it will and will not cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

My friend has a condo in Panama City beach and we were there this April.  It was still struggling in the area.  Mexico beach was horrifying.  I feel that Michael's devastation did not get the press it deserved.  

Unfortunately way it is. Many times travel to place was hit few yrs before and lot is up and running but outside tourist area still see the Blue Tarp Roofs and damage there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CruiseMapper shows Empress of the Seas near the Freeport dock.  They apparently are tendering supplies to the island.  That's pretty fast response IMHO.

 

Here's an article about their relief effort.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-ne-hurricane-dorian-cruise-relief-20190904-jr6lhn7y2bgm5gxftrvv3invmu-story.html

 

Edited by Tagsalong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I feel that Michael's devastation did not get the press it deserved

Lots and lots of press at the time, but our 24 hour news cycle tends to bring crisis after crisis into our homes from the entire world. Politics/elections, weather/climate change, pollution, shootings and other crimes, etc, all tend to leapfrog each other in the public consciousness. Not to mention the reduction in journalists everywhere, so there are few followup in-depth stories. 

 

And then there are the fake crises, like anything relating to the Kardashians. Unfortunately, media numbers geeks put more of that junk out there because they see what gets the clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any news on Cococay?  We are doing a 3 day on the Navigator 9/13 and it is one of our stops.  I know they have put so much money and time into it and wonder what the damages are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Tagsalong said:

CruiseMapper shows Empress of the Seas near the Freeport dock.  They apparently are tendering supplies to the island.  That's pretty fast response IMHO.

 

Here's an article about their relief effort.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-ne-hurricane-dorian-cruise-relief-20190904-jr6lhn7y2bgm5gxftrvv3invmu-story.html

 

Does Empress currently have passengers on it or is this strictly a relief mission? Either way, kudos to RCL for their speedy response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that it will open on Saturday, Sept. 7 with Navigator as the 1st ship back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

You must have been one of the 2200 people who lost power in Volusia. 

How in the world can 2200 people be without power? I live in Saint Lucie County and 77 were down for a short time and in Port Saint Lucie only 6. FPL put in a major solar farm and that went down? I would be up in arms against FPL for this. Tropical storm winds at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SilentChill said:

Cheers I'm on board Harmony  finally !!! Time to drink myself to death !! 

 

Finally for sure! You're King of the World now!

 

 

Leo.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any idea what time Mariner is going to be back in port on Friday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

Anyone have any idea what time Mariner is going to be back in port on Friday?

 

Mariner is in port now I can see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilentChill said:

 

Mariner is in port now I can see it

Thanks for letting me know. When I was talking to Royal Caribbean the other day, I asked if we could stay on the ship in Thursday night, and they said that the ship wasn’t returning until Friday. If they are in port, why couldn’t we stay on the ship? I was thinking that they wanted to give the crew a break.

Edited by Bronx12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

How in the world can 2200 people be without power? I live in Saint Lucie County and 77 were down for a short time and in Port Saint Lucie only 6. FPL put in a major solar farm and that went down? I would be up in arms against FPL for this. Tropical storm winds at best.

We were 2 of them.  Only need to find 2198 more😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving tomorrow on Adventure OTS and still waiting for a update as to how they plan to avoid the hazardous seas enroute to Quebec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lynaberk said:

Leaving tomorrow on Adventure OTS and still waiting for a update as to how they plan to avoid the hazardous seas enroute to Quebec.

The storm should be gone by Monday so only Bar Harbor should be in question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Dear Guest,

 

As you know, we’ve been carefully watching Hurricane Dorian’s path, and after some recent developments, it looks like the storm is heading to the northeast around boarding day. So, to avoid adverse weather and ensure a comfortable journey, we will be delaying our departure from Cape Liberty to 6:00 PM, instead of 3:00 PM. Our check-in window will remain 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Additionally, we’ll replace our visit to Bar Harbor, Maine with a cruising day to stay well away from the unpleasant weather.

Below, please find our new itinerary:

 

Dates

Day

Port

Arrive

Depart

6-Sep

Fri

Cape Liberty, New Jersey

 

6:00 PM

7-Sep

Sat

Cruising

 

 

8-Sep

Sun

Cruising

 

 

9-Sep

Mon

Portland, Maine

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

10-Sep

Tue

Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay of Fundy)

7:30 AM

6:30 PM

11-Sep

Wed

Halifax, Nova Scotia

11:30 AM

7:00 PM

12-Sep

Thu

Sydney, Nova Scotia

10:00 AM

6:00 PM

13-Sep

Fri

Charlottetown, Prince Edward

7:30 AM

6:00 PM

14-Sep

Sat

Cruising

 

 

15-Sep

Sun

Quebec City, Quebec

8:00 AM

 

16-Sep

Mon

Quebec City, Quebec

Debark

 

Please know, your safety is our top priority and we only make these changes when they are absolutely necessary.

If you pre-purchased Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for Bar Harbor, they will be refunded to your Onboard Account. This credit can be used anywhere onboard, and if unused, it’ll be refunded back to your credit card on file about 3 – 5 business days after your sailing ends. If you have any questions, please visit our Shore Excursions Desk.

Again, we are sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this unexpected circumstance. We remain confident that your time with us will be nothing short of amazing.

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...