Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, kearney said:

I guess those of us traveling in a couple of weeks need to keep an eye out for the next storm.... saw this from James Van Fleet.... looks like another likely hurricane heading towards the Caribbean.... This the 5 year in a row we have sailed during Sept-Oct time frame... been lucky so far....hope our luck holds.

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.51.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 10.53.44 AM.png

Yep.  Watch this one.  Question is if it will turn and follow Gabriele or continue on its merry way and tail Dorian, or just truck on westward.

 

Should know more later in the week. but doesn't appear to be a threat to this week's sailings and maybe next week's too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

 

Halifax waterfront yeterday.

OMG!  We made an unscheduled stop in Halifax in October of 2007 as we ran from a hurricane.  The people were unbelievably generous in hosting us until we were able to leave port the following day.  Prayers that recovery is quick for this and all locations that felt the wrath of Dorian. 

 

Halifax Band.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We hunkered down up here in "downeast Maine" on Saturday just to the west of Nova Scotia.  Felt the outer rain bands, lots of wind, driving rain..awful.  But not near as bad as the hit that our poor friends to our east around Halifax received.  Woke up Sunday to calm, sunny skies.  What a difference a day makes!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That's horrible. I hope everyone is ok.

Everone seems to be ok.Lots of trees down and coastal damage.Still almost 200,000 Nova Scotia Power customers without power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

Everone seems to be ok.Lots of trees down and coastal damage.Still almost 200,000 Nova Scotia Power customers without power.

 

Wild ride for sure.  Hope you get your power back on soon.  Did you have any damage to your home? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

Wild ride for sure.  Hope you get your power back on soon.  Did you have any damage to your home? 

We lost power at 2pm Saturday and luckly got it back on Sunday afternoon.We were lucky and received no damage.Some others on our street had trees down though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ReneeFLL Consider all that alcohol as a safety feature, not a danger. It will help keep your house afloat!

 

And keeping that Scotch this long really is a bad thing to do. So much so that my wife and I are willing, in the spirit of public service, to come remove those toxins from your environs before they explode or something. Just let us know! (Seriously, they will be fine.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

We lost power at 2pm Saturday and luckly got it back on Sunday afternoon.We were lucky and received no damage.Some others on our street had trees down though.

 

That's great!  We managed to escape damage to our home and to to our neighborhood down in Florida, so they tell me.  Guess we all got lucky.  Was one wild and wicked hurricane.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@ReneeFLL Consider all that alcohol as a safety feature, not a danger. It will help keep your house afloat!

 

And keeping that Scotch this long really is a bad thing to do. So much so that my wife and I are willing, in the spirit of public service, to come remove those toxins from your environs before they explode or something. Just let us know! (Seriously, they will be fine.)

Thanks for the info on the scotch. I'm sure we must look like alcoholics, but we aren't. If we were we wouldn't have such a collection especially some with dust or is that showing my house keeping skills. 😀  Also, the comment I made to John applies to others as long as I have seen them posting on here. We would be happy to meet other cruisers and have them come over. Where else could you have a free rum tasting like this? Our schedule is very busy until after the holidays, but if we know in advance that would help.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ReneeFLL "I'm sure we must look like alcoholics, but we aren't."

 

My family decided we are alcoholics when we got married. We wanted nothing as gifts, but they insisted so we asked for our favorite wine. Poof! Total drunks in their minds!

 

We built a big bar in our dream house in VA. I got very good at some really cool specialty martinis we "borrowed" from the Bellagio in LV (our previous preferred vacay spot).* We then brought about 80 bottles with us when we unexpectedly moved to SC 2 years later. We still have much of it, and it is all still good, 13 years later. I swear, some of the really good stuff tastes richer after all this time when we pop a bottle!

___

 

* Almond Joy:

1. In a shaker, equal parts coconut milk and vodka,  plus 1/2 part Godiva dark choc liqueur, and 1/2 part Frangelico.

 

2. Freeze a martini glass. 

 

3. Toast some shredded coconut on a small cookie tray (doesn't take long--about a minute at 300; just until crispy).

 

4. Dip the rim of the glass into Hersheys chocolate sauce--it should start thickening as it runs down the sides when you turn it upright.

 

5. Immediately dip the rim into the coconut and twirl it to get a nice coat.

 

6. Add a cherry if you wish, and pour.

 

7.  You should be able to figure this step out!

 

 

download.jpeg

Edited by mayleeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adventure and Grandeur are in port in Halifax today. Nice to see things returning to normal on our waterfront. Makes me want to hop on board and sail away though! This time last year we were on Explorer in Alaska. I need to book another cruise I think!

98F881D4-4AFF-419A-B416-CDEA4B9357E8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks wonderful! A big difference from photos just a few days ago.  I am sure you all still have a lot of clean up to do.  How are things overall?  Is there much damage to the waterfront buildings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

  Is there much damage to the waterfront buildings?

Nothing obvious - maybe Pier 21 roof? 

 

image.jpg

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

It looks wonderful! A big difference from photos just a few days ago.  I am sure you all still have a lot of clean up to do.  How are things overall?  Is there much damage to the waterfront buildings?

Not so much damage to the waterfront buildings. Some of the boardwalks needed repair and I’m not sure if they put the floating bridge back yet. A lot of tree damage within the city. We just got our power back yesterday and there’s still about 45k or 50k customers out. Lots of green leaves down and the trees are looking pretty bedraggled. Might not be as ‘showy’ later this fall unfortunately. They’re still trying to figure out how to safely remove the crane that collapsed. Everything else is pretty back to normal. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Nothing obvious - maybe Pier 21 roof? 

 

image.jpg

 

19 minutes ago, BixBebe said:

Not so much damage to the waterfront buildings. Some of the boardwalks needed repair and I’m not sure if they put the floating bridge back yet. A lot of tree damage within the city. We just got our power back yesterday and there’s still about 45k or 50k customers out. Lots of green leaves down and the trees are looking pretty bedraggled. Might not be as ‘showy’ later this fall unfortunately. They’re still trying to figure out how to safely remove the crane that collapsed. Everything else is pretty back to normal. 🙂

While we will of course be disappointed if we don't have the beautiful fall colors in Halifax on our Snowbird Migration cruise next month it is more important that the people of Halifax will come through this with less damage than the reports first indicated.  Hopefully, all the power will all be supplied back soon.  We will have the opportunity to see the fall colors in other ports. If not, then we will just have to try again another time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 8:52 PM, mayleeman said:

@ReneeFLL "I'm sure we must look like alcoholics, but we aren't."

 

My family decided we are alcoholics when we got married. We wanted nothing as gifts, but they insisted so we asked for our favorite wine. Poof! Total drunks in their minds!

 

We built a big bar in our dream house in VA. I got very good at some really cool specialty martinis we "borrowed" from the Bellagio in LV (our previous preferred vacay spot).* We then brought about 80 bottles with us when we unexpectedly moved to SC 2 years later. We still have much of it, and it is all still good, 13 years later. I swear, some of the really good stuff tastes richer after all this time when we pop a bottle!

___

 

* Almond Joy:

1. In a shaker, equal parts coconut milk and vodka,  plus 1/2 part Godiva dark choc liqueur, and 1/2 part Frangelico.

 

2. Freeze a martini glass. 

 

3. Toast some shredded coconut on a small cookie tray (doesn't take long--about a minute at 300; just until crispy).

 

4. Dip the rim of the glass into Hersheys chocolate sauce--it should start thickening as it runs down the sides when you turn it upright.

 

5. Immediately dip the rim into the coconut and twirl it to get a nice coat.

 

6. Add a cherry if you wish, and pour.

 

7.  You should be able to figure this step out!

 

 

download.jpeg

Now that looks tasty. 🍹

Edited by ReneeFLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a thread...it 'looked' over all okay.  But was reported to smell bad because of fish and seaweed.   Will take sometime for it to truly be perfect again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise lines’ infrastructure projects on Grand Bahama Island have not been set back but, rather, accelerated by Hurricane Dorian, Royal Caribbean CEO Richard Fain said Friday.

He’s ‘very worried’ about Dorian’s economic impact there since 50% of the economy depends on tourism.

Companies ‘very quick’ to confirm

Following the storm, Carnival Corp. was ‘very quick’ to state it’s going ahead with a new cruise port on Grand Bahama, Fain said. And Royal Caribbean was ‘very quick’ to stand behind its $275m Freeport development via Holistica, the company’s new joint venture with ITM Group.

‘It will be a major shot in the arm for Grand Bahama,’ Fain told media during the Signature Owners’ Meeting in Austin, Texas, where he delivered the keynote address this morning.

Amid destruction, a ‘visible rejuvenation’

Centered around the regeneration of the Grand Lucayan resort, the Holistica project will ‘create a new momentum’ for Grand Bahama’s recovery,’ Fain said. ‘So much has been destroyed. This will provide a visible rejuvenation.’

Royal Caribbean was fast in with food and relief supplies, but those daily ship deliveries are unsustainable because they put such heavy demands on the crew, who are doing double-duty to serve passengers and prepare and deliver meals and supplies to Grand Bahama. So a kitchen has been set up on island to serve 10,000 people a day, one-third of the population.

Shipyard open but biggest dock still out

As for Grand Bahama Shipyard, the most important cruise repair/upgrade facility in the Western Hemisphere, it escaped substantial damage and on Wednesday resumed operations by taking the container ship Agathonissos, owned by Greece-based Eletson.

Dorian caused erosion, but the berths were not affected. The yard is able to fully power its core operations, including docks, workshops and administrative functions, as well as communications infrastructure. It’s also able to produce fresh water and its cafeteria is feeding hundreds of workers daily.

The yard — whose shareholders are Carnival Corp., Royal Caribbean and Grand Bahama Port Authority — is important to economic recovery, too, with 85 to 100 drydocks each year, including more than two dozen major cruise ship dockings.

However, the biggest drydock has been out of service since April when a crane collapsed while Oasis of the Seas was in the dock, leaving the structure damaged. Since then, the largest ships have had to go elsewhere, to Cadiz in Europe in the case of Oasis and, when it came to Carnival Vista Azipod repairs, a novel solution was found.

Fain said an analysis is under way to see if Drydock No. 2 can be salvaged or if it has to be replaced.

CocoCay: ‘You wouldn’t know a storm had been through’

Elsewhere in the Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay took its first ship last Saturday, after workers returned the Wednesday before.

According to Fain, ‘If you didn’t know a storm had gone through, you wouldn’t have known it.’

One thing has taken a little time, though.

The Up, Up and Away helium balloon requires a week or more to inflate, and there’s a worldwide shortage of helium. But before Dorian, it was deflated for safety, Fain said, and now is being refilled at a cost of $350,000.

‘99% of the Bahamas pristine’

Signature owners gave an extended standing ovation after watching a film chronicling Royal Caribbean’s hurricane relief efforts.

And Fain was quick to assure this influential retail group that Dorian badly impacted ‘only two areas of the Bahamas,’ a country of 700 islands stretching the length of California. Besides Grand Bahama, the Abacos, known for yachting, were hit.

‘The Bahamas is still a marvelous destination and 99% of it is pristine,’ he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was WOW :classic_ohmy: 100 foot wave!

 

Hurricane Dorian blazed a trail of destruction from the Bahamas to the Maritimes, but it didn’t just cause turmoil on land, according to a team at Memorial University who say they recorded a 100-foot wave off the southwestern coast of Newfoundland in the wake of the post-tropical storm.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-100-foot-wave-recorded-off-the-coast-of-newfoundland-during-dorian-2/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...