Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what THE Hurricane has in store for our car parked 1/8th of a mile from the beach in a lot in Port Canaveral. Thankfully its fully insured. And as frequent cruisers we Always Buy Travel Insurance!

 

 

Low tide is 4am Monday morning = good

High tide around 10am = bad

726242760_Screenshot_20190829-105647_TideChartFREE.thumb.jpg.fad239f904245e1948d25912d6cfcda9.jpg

 

In 2016, Mathew passed us at low tide, no surge. Passed Flagler Beach at high tide, big surge

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what THE Hurricane has in store for our car parked 1/8th of a mile from the beach in a lot in Port Canaveral. Thankfully its fully insured. And as frequent cruisers we Always Buy Travel Insurance!

 

How about this... ask Captain Johnny to come in early Saturday to let you off and get your car out of there safely. I'll jump on for our 9/1 sailing and stay in your cabin until they figure everything else out.  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

 

Southwest handles this better than most airlines.  As soon as she gets the notice that she is going to miss her flight she can go online and reschedule it.  She will have to pay the fare difference but her current flight will be a credit towards that.  Travel insurance will reimburse her for the difference but she will need to get proof from Royal that her cruise was extended, so make sure she saves any letters and such that they give her.  

 When our oasis cruise was extended for three days two years ago, a letter was left in everyone’s cabin to be used for insurance, for work related or school related issues.   

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Effective 1 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) set port condition Whiskey for Port Canaveral terminals and facilities due to the expectation of sustained gale force winds generated by Hurricane Dorian that may arrive within 72 hours.

These ports and facilities are currently open to all commercial traffic and all transfer operations may continue while Whiskey remains in effect.

Sustained winds between 39 and 54 mph are possible within 72 hours. Mariners are reminded there are no safe havens in these facilities, and ports are safest when the inventory of vessels is at a minimum. All ocean-going commercial vessels and ocean-going barges greater than 500 gross tons should make plans for departing the port.

Vessels desiring to remain in port must immediately contact the COTP to receive permission and are required to submit a safe mooring plan in writing. Vessels bound for Port Canaveral unable to depart 24 hours prior to threatening winds making landfall are advised to seek an alternate destination.

Pleasure craft are advised to seek safe harbor. Drawbridges may not be operating if sustained winds reach 25 mph or when an evacuation is in progress. Port facilities are advised to review their heavy weather plans and take all necessary precautions to adequately prepare for the expected conditions. Mariners can view the latest port updates on the Coast Guard’s Homeport site.

If and when port condition Yankee is set, meaning sustained gale force winds are expected within 24 hours, vessel movement shall be restricted, and all movements must be approved by the captain of the port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

No just wrong news! 

Correct, he had it backwards.  Many ships switched from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean for this week.  I am on a Western Caribbean cruise right now and there have been extra ships at each port.  We arrived at Grand Cayman today one hour earlier and will leave one hour early this afternoon.  The ship plans to get to FFL early on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tagsalong said:

 Effective 1 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) set port condition Whiskey for Port Canaveral terminals and facilities due to the expectation of sustained gale force winds generated by Hurricane Dorian that may arrive within 72 hours.

 

This is also in effect for Port Everglades and Miami.  https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/MSIB_19_017_Port_Condition_Whiskey_0ef041d7-5886-4f3c-a65c-8c3358323ec8.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're (supposed to be) heading out on Symphony on Saturday. Not sure what our options are... Waiting for 6PM to hopefully have a better idea. 

 

We have travel insurance through CSA but I wonder how coverage is going to work out in terms of flights if the cruise is either cancelled, delayed, etc. We may just be out of luck with our flight costs if that is the case... wondering if anybody has experience before I call CSA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

We're (supposed to be) heading out on Symphony on Saturday. Not sure what our options are... Waiting for 6PM to hopefully have a better idea. 

 

We have travel insurance through CSA but I wonder how coverage is going to work out in terms of flights if the cruise is either cancelled, delayed, etc. We may just be out of luck with our flight costs if that is the case... wondering if anybody has experience before I call CSA. 

 

I would hope that if the cruise is cancelled, they would cover the flights.  It's all part of the same vacation, though you never know with insurance companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

We're (supposed to be) heading out on Symphony on Saturday. Not sure what our options are... Waiting for 6PM to hopefully have a better idea. 

 

We have travel insurance through CSA but I wonder how coverage is going to work out in terms of flights if the cruise is either cancelled, delayed, etc. We may just be out of luck with our flight costs if that is the case... wondering if anybody has experience before I call CSA. 

I just checked on my travel insurance which I have with my Bank of America card. I was told. If I cancel the trip because of the weather I will receive a full refund because I used the card to pay for it. I live right were it is to hit and do not want to take the cruise if it is not cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I just checked on my travel insurance which I have with my Bank of America card. I was told. If I cancel the trip because of the weather I will receive a full refund because I used the card to pay for it. I live right were it is to hit and do not want to take the cruise if it is not cancelled.

 

Nice coverage, what is that credit card called?  It's not the RC Visa I assume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I would hope that if the cruise is cancelled, they would cover the flights.  It's all part of the same vacation, though you never know with insurance companies.

 

I had forgotten to check Delta. They are offering free cancellation (issuing future credits) for those who cancel flights between Sunday-Wednesday. So we should be fine there. I fly enough that wouldn't be an issue at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Nice coverage, what is that credit card called?  It's not the RC Visa I assume.

Premium Rewards $95 a year. Worth it. Great perks also. Check out the benefits, it cover a lot for a trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eaflorida said:

I am presently on the Harmony. We are currently in Roatan, and scheduled to go to Costa Maya on Friday. Hopefully after that, we find out what happens later today as promised. But again, simply based on current forecasts and my gut, we certainly are not going back to Port Canaveral before Wednesday. As to those trying to fly home, lord only knows how backed up and delayed that airport will be. Our biggest worry right now is what 

 

 

In Roatan “with you” on Harmony. I’m thinking like you regarding Wednesday. I hope your car is safe and sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Premium Rewards $95 a year. Worth it. Great perks also. Check out the benefits, it cover a lot for a trip. 

 

Thank-you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope all goes will -  A few yeas ago when Oaiss had this same weather issues ( ok - likely a bit less) many left the ship at   the Cozumel stop.  That likely would have been a Thursday or Friday.   By that time, I think we already knew we would not rerun back until Monday at the   earliest ( we actually returned to PC on Wednesday)  , and folks needed to get home.  Those flying home  just flew from Mexico  back home.  I have no knowledge of the hassles, delays, costs etc. 

 

I can see that  extensive travel from Roatan is a more difficult than from Cozumel.

 

Again - to those on board, or hoping to catch a ship., please remember safety first!

 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Thanks Oliver

 

Since you guys live in Florida have you heard anything about possible evacuations or any other local insider information about the storm?

Edited by blueridgemama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

 

Since you guys live in Florida have you heard anything about possible evacuations or any other local insider information about the storm?

 

Nothing unique yet.

Publix is out of water, but I'm sure they'll get more. For Irma, FEMA and National Guard (I think) was distributing cases of water at Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island Mall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ryano said:

Now our update isn't until 6pm. Smh 

 

They keep putting it off, giving people less and less time to make changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

They keep putting it off, giving people less and less time to make changes.

 

I don't know think that it's intentional.  Some reports are showing that the storm might not make landfall until as late as Tuesday.  There are a lot of factors to consider. They don't want to strand people on a ship longer than necessary, or delay people waiting to embark if they don't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Nothing unique yet.

Publix is out of water, but I'm sure they'll get more. For Irma, FEMA and National Guard (I think) was distributing cases of water at Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island Mall.

 

Do you stay put during these storms/hurricane threats or do you high tail it to higher ground! What are you planning for this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very irritated at the 1PM "update". Nothing even changed. They have Mariner and Navigator in the Bahamas still... Pretty poor communication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...