Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tface023

Hurricane Dorian talk

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Thanks Bob.  The bigger question is if you ever recall them departing a day earlier for some reason in the past?

 

May have happened, but I don't recall that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Those tropical force winds will be well out in front of the storm...so I would not get to caught up in the "not supposed to hit until Monday or Tuesday etc. The port will close well ahead of this...

 

6 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Those tropical force winds will be well out in front of the storm...so I would not get to caught up in the "not supposed to hit until Monday or Tuesday etc. The port will close well ahead of this...

Of course, this is a given.  The port will also close early because they are concerned for their workers getting to shelters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

If the cruise is shortened then we would get some money back for the days missed. Would we still get that if we just do not show up for the cruise and it does go out a day or so late or do you have to be on the ship?

Typically they offer the choice to take the shortened cruise with a partial refund and a partial future cruise credit OR you can not take the cruise and you get a full future cruise credit.  They put stipulations on the usage of the future credits and don't offer any kind of price protection.  So if you no show the shortened cruise, you will at least get a FCC back. 

 

If it sails as scheduled they probably won't give you anything.  If a competitor steps up and allows their passengers to preemptively cancel they may follow suit.

 

6 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

The bigger question is if you ever recall them departing a day earlier for some reason in the past?

 

I think I recall them porting early and then sailing back out again out of the way of the storm.  They gave the passengers the option to get off early or stay on but they didn't know 100% for sure how long the extension would be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Those tropical force winds will be well out in front of the storm...so I would not get to caught up in the "not supposed to hit until Monday or Tuesday etc. The port will close well ahead of this...

 

I think Royal and everyone is waiting for the next major path update. Right now the forecast is tropical storm wind at the port sometime after 3am Sunday - and that's just when the chance starts, not a high chance. Not enough time to empty passengers and get out - even if not picking any up. But the storm has been slowing down over the last 24+ hours as it was originally supposed to be on land by Sunday. It's not as large of a hurricane as others so the winds aren't out as far as previous ones.

 

My guess is everyone's waiting to see if it'll slow down even more to see if they can get in/out on Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Typically they offer the choice to take the shortened cruise with a partial refund and a partial future cruise credit OR you can not take the cruise and you get a full future cruise credit.  They put stipulations on the usage of the future credits and don't offer any kind of price protection.  So if you no show the shortened cruise, you will at least get a FCC back. 

 

If it sails as scheduled they probably won't give you anything.  If a competitor steps up and allows their passengers to preemptively cancel they may follow suit.

 

 

 

So I would still be entitled to some sort of compensation for a cancelled cruise or a shortened cruise even if I do not show up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Dear Guest,

Along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, we’ve been closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, and while the storm has slowed down a bit, we continue to evaluate its path and trajectory. The American and European weather models still have the storm going two separate ways. So, we’re waiting for new weather updates, which we’ll receive later this afternoon, to better assess the storm’s strength, trajectory, and impact to our itineraries. Then, we’ll determine if your specific itinerary needs to be modified, or if it’ll remain as scheduled. Regardless, we’ll share an update with you by 3:00 PM EST tomorrow, August 30th, 2019, or sooner.

Your safety is our top priority and being onboard a ship is one of the safest places to be during a storm. Luckily, we can sail out to sea and navigate around adverse weather, if needed.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this unexpected circumstance. We remain confident that your vacation will still be wonderful!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ryano said:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Dear Guest,

Along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, we’ve been closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, and while the storm has slowed down a bit, we continue to evaluate its path and trajectory. The American and European weather models still have the storm going two separate ways. So, we’re waiting for new weather updates, which we’ll receive later this afternoon, to better assess the storm’s strength, trajectory, and impact to our itineraries. Then, we’ll determine if your specific itinerary needs to be modified, or if it’ll remain as scheduled. Regardless, we’ll share an update with you by 3:00 PM EST tomorrow, August 30th, 2019, or sooner.

Your safety is our top priority and being onboard a ship is one of the safest places to be during a storm. Luckily, we can sail out to sea and navigate around adverse weather, if needed.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this unexpected circumstance. We remain confident that your vacation will still be wonderful!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

 

Just got the same one for Symphony leaving Saturday. Pissed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

So I would still be entitled to some sort of compensation for a cancelled cruise or a shortened cruise even if I do not show up?

 

Only if Royal makes that offer.  My understanding of what they may offer is from what I've seen for this situation in the past.  You have to wait and see what they decide to offer.  

 

Dealing with travel insurance is another fun game when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume the Saturday sailings are a go. The Sunday ones they're waiting to see if the storm slows down more - I'd say a decent shot of sailing but they might offer a "if you want to cancel" option. Any Monday cruise will be delayed/extended - probably Wed but maybe Thurs depending on if the storm stalls after landfall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, European model has just changed the whole "thought process"  Category 4 landfall Tuesday/Wednesday still in Florida thru Thursday. Hitting closer to Miami area Then heading up the whole coastline into the Carolinas.  HUGE CHANGE!!  Slowing considerably.  Definately opens a window though to dump passengers and pick up as planned in most ports.  Going to be interesting.

With RC making the delay of announcing anything I am convinced they cruises will come and go as planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I would assume the Saturday sailings are a go. The Sunday ones they're waiting to see if the storm slows down more - I'd say a decent shot of sailing but they might offer a "if you want to cancel" option. Any Monday cruise will be delayed/extended - probably Wed but maybe Thurs depending on if the storm stalls after landfall. 

 

The issue is Symphony is doing a special 3 night Labor Day sailing. We are scheduled to arrive back in Miami Tuesday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

 

The issue is Symphony is doing a special 3 night Labor Day sailing. We are scheduled to arrive back in Miami Tuesday...

It will now be  a special 4 night Labor Day Sailing.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

 

The issue is Symphony is doing a special 3 night Labor Day sailing. We are scheduled to arrive back in Miami Tuesday...

 

They're still more likely to sail it and then delay the next one if it's safe to get everyone off on Saturday (which at this point it's pretty much not a question that it's safe to do so) - they wouldn't want to keep them on for almost another week unless there's no way to avoid it. Since it's only 3 nights that is an exception that they might cancel, but I'd personally be shocked if they did. 

Edited by smplybcause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather Channel just showed updated Euro model which looks good for us.  It shows Dorian near the Bahamas on Tuesday so it has shifted it South and further East.  That would be great and put us back on track for a Sunday departure on Harmony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

IF Dorian appeared to be shifting to a Monday landfall as models have begun to show, then bringing Harmony in early Saturday could be a viable option.  

 

For the current sailing passengers, it gets them home.  It also gets those who drove the opportunity to get their vehicles out of the hurricane area.  

 

For next week's sailing passengers, yes there would be many who could not make it to an early departure.  But maybe about the same as who would bail if they had to shift it to a 4-5 day cruise next week and were offered to cancel anyway.

 

I was just wondering if it would even be on option on the table they are considering.  If the next update shifts the landfall to later Monday or Tuesday, then that may be an even stronger reason to move the Sunday arrivals / departures up a day to Saturday versus pushing them back to Wednesday.  

This scenario would work for most ships but not allure it is in Cozumel Friday and with the propulsion issues no way would it get in port on Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a little wrench to throw into the gears.

While Sunday only has Harmony and her 6,000 pax to deal with, Monday is a six ship day here.

And we only have 5 terminals. The 6th one is a port call.

They expect 20,000 passengers over the two days

So if Harmony gets bumped, a domino affect hits

2019_08_29_09_00_29_Copy_of_Master_Cruise_Schedule19.jpg.e24481710df1ac1e9eca3af5e16d1cf3.jpg

Luckily Tuesday is wide open, so time will indeed tell

 

Yeah, unfortunately in past when too many ships few times double up on same day. Quick off/on and repeat OR off then ship moves, next ship moves in then first ship loads later in Evening. Think Bayonne did that last time I remember. Years ago ports did that but ships were lot smaller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

This scenario would work for most ships but not allure it is in Cozumel Friday and with the propulsion issues no way would it get in port on Saturday.

I know Allure had propulsion issues.  Harmony too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume RCL is waiting to see if the Euro model is the more credible one.  If so, that will be near Bahamas on Sunday and would allow Harmony to get in and out of Port Canaveral.  

 

Here is where it shows Dorian Sunday at noon now.

 

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 2.35.31 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

I assume RCL is waiting to see if the Euro model is the more credible one.  If so, that will be near Bahamas on Sunday and would allow Harmony to get in and out of Port Canaveral.  

 

Here is where it shows Dorian Sunday at noon now.

 

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 2.35.31 PM.png

I vote for this model.

 

That’s how hurricanes work, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

And here it is on Tuesday at noon...  Slowing down and further South.

 

 

 

Is this the European model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

This scenario would work for most ships but not allure it is in Cozumel Friday and with the propulsion issues no way would it get in port on Saturday.

It's leaving San Juan Now.     Ships in Nassau on 31/08/2019

Note: We can only show those ships here that we have in our database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...