Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Santa Fe,

Captain onboard is Lars Kjeldsen.  Besides being a good technical Captain (ship handling, etc.) he is friendly and out and about quite a bit.  We have, so far, had several changes and, as a former ship Captain, I have not disagreed in the slightest.  When it comes to very strong low pressure systems, the best advice I can give is "Run Forrest Run"....😎

Captain Lars is the best.  He was our captain when we did this part of the world in January.  The tender situation in the Falklands was just terrible.  I counted over 30 tries by the driver to get the tender boat back to to side of the ship.  I think after that Captain Lars said enough is enough, or I guess he would say it is what it is (lol) and had us leave that evening.  They actually sent people to the pubs in Port Stanley to round us all up, and at 8 pm we were off.  Hated to miss the penguins on our second day,  but we saw plenty more penguins as time went on.  When we got to Cape Horn, the Captain woke us all up to tell us we were rounding the cape, and the seas were surprisingly calm.  That was because it was completely foggy with no wind.  We couldn’t see a thing, or not much anyway.  Indeed, the weather always is what it is! Enjoy,  I heard from a friend this morning that it is flooding and hailing in Phoenix!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

... Captain Olav,  who likes to look ahead for bad weather.  He had us skip Casablanca in order to beat a bad storm in the notorious Bay of Biscay.  That was a wise, but very unpopular decision, especially among the British passengers, who weren’t thrilled with a day in Portsmouth instead.  But, as you say, on a WC, you’ve got to make lemonade of any lemons thrown your way!

Not an unpopular decision with ALL the Brits!  When we heard the announcement we punched the air and said "Yes!!!"  We've been to Casablanca before and didn't much care for it, but have never been to Portsmouth.  We had an amazing day at the Naval Dockyard, in particular in the Mary Rose Museum.  😊 

I’m so glad you had a good day!  We did too.  Went to Stonehenge and Salisbury where we hadn’t been in years.  And I liked Portsmouth, where I’d never been.  And as it turns out, we will visit Casablanca in May on a Spain-Portugal Cruise.  Our biggest disappointment was missing Easter Island.  There wasn’t much Captain Lars could do, the tender platform on the island was submerged.  So he spent the day circumnavigating the island so we could see the statues and the wild horses.

Edited by SantaFe1

Finally was able to get in to CC and fine someone who was going farther than us.  My husband and I were on the first two week portion, British Isles Explorer.  We had no idea we were on the first leg of a world cruise until we boarded.  It was fun to meet our fellow travellers who were spending four or eight months being pampered.    I would never be able to return ro reality if I spent eight months on a Viking cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Briefly, I have spoken to the hard work, friendliness, and helpful attitude of the crew on many occasions.  I want to make special mention of Arneka Tuki, the ship's Financial Officer.  She has been so good and so helpful with some issues and has resolved all to our satisfaction.  The Officers and crew onboard always make us feel like we are in the right place.  Thanks again Arneka.

Arneka was one member of our "Dream Team" from our segment.  Also Vicki, John and Nikolay.  Please tell them we loved them all (And Jeffrey the Restaurant Manager).  Bob

DreamTeam.jpg

8 hours ago, haydn12 said:

Vicki was on our British Isles cruise back in July.  We loved her port talks plus the other shows she was in.

Jim

I loved the show she did about how she ended up on cruise ships.  She was wonderful.  Also enjoyed Russell Lee, who was an interesting lecturer.

That was the busiest itinerary we have ever had...we saw so much.

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Santa Fe,

Captain onboard is Lars Kjeldsen.  Besides being a good technical Captain (ship handling, etc.) he is friendly and out and about quite a bit.  We have, so far, had several changes and, as a former ship Captain, I have not disagreed in the slightest.  When it comes to very strong low pressure systems, the best advice I can give is "Run Forrest Run"....😎

Captain Lars was indeed FABULOUS!-Jeannette😌

Edited by Jukebo1x

3 hours ago, Jukebo1x said:

While a bit early, to Jim Avery, and everyone else on board the Viking Sun, Alan & I wish you a beautiful & Happy Thanksgiving!-Jeannette😌 

Thanks for that.  And same to y'all.  We are forming a "family" at one of the larger tables in the restaurant in anticipation of Viking doing a good Thanksgiving dinner.  Food has been really good in the Restaurant.😎

So far the Captain's choices are proving to be right again.  Today is moderate seas with high wispy clouds, otherwise sunny.  Outside air temp is down to 54 F so cooler every day.  We are sailing near top speed to slide between two strong low pressure areas.  We are told we have a 12 hour window in the Falklands.  As this is to be a tendering stop it is important to hit that window.   Falklands have been moved up a day or so and limited to one day.  Several tours are re scheduled and one we had, flight seeing in a small plane, have been cancelled due to conditions.  We will then sail as fast as possible I assume to get to Ushuaia a couple of days early.  The Ushuaia stop has been extended to two days and all excursions are still being worked out.  As mentioned before there are lots of rough seas in this part of the world and it will be interesting to see how the soon to be launched "Expedition Ships" from various lines handle these conditions.  As they are smaller ships in the same big, rough seas, time will tell how many port changes they too will require.  On a sad note, a wonderful fellow passenger from the Inaugural WC as well as this one, fell in the Star Theater this morning and broke a hip.  I won't mention names without permission of course but many of you might know him as The Dentist.  A lovely couple from Tennessee.  We are so very sad to hear of this and wish them all the best.  Being airlifted from the Falklands with such an injury will be a challenge at best.  

• Like 1

So sad to hear about the injury.  Reminds me to use the - one hand for the boat and one hand for myself - rule when on board.  On a happier note - you made it to the Falklands YAY!!  The Panomax camera is working perfectly and it looks like a gorgeous morning.  Will be excited to hear about the excursions and tendering conditions.  

Sorry to read about the accident.  What a way to put a crimp in your life...and it can happen so easily.

We were on the first two weeks of the cruise, and I want to start following with the ship camera.  Which one is best as more than one site is posted?  

Our next cruis will be on Sky from Miami to Barcelona.  Can’t wait for March.

8 minutes ago, Canadian Sunset said:

Sorry to read about the accident.  What a way to put a crimp in your life...and it can happen so easily.

We were on the first two weeks of the cruise, and I want to start following with the ship camera.  Which one is best as more than one site is posted?  

Our next cruis will be on Sky from Miami to Barcelona.  Can’t wait for March.

https://viking.panomax.com/sun

If you want Orion or Jupiter just change name.  I think those are the only ships with on board external cameras.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

https://viking.panomax.com/sun

If you want Orion or Jupiter just change name.  I think those are the only ships with on board external cameras.

Thanks.  Panomax is perfect, and it’s Sun I want.  We were on the first two weeks of the cruise, and I would have loved more.  My husband would have been unhappy though.

Safely docked in Ushuaia and, so far, it is a sunny, cool day.  Rain is forecast for this afternoon.  For those who know him, The Dentist was not put ashore in the Falklands.  It was determined that tendering, airlifting to the mainland would be more discomfort than staying till Ushuaia where there are better facilities.  Hoping all goes well for them on their long trip home to Tennessee.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Safely docked in Ushuaia and, so far, it is a sunny, cool day.  Rain is forecast for this afternoon.  For those who know him, The Dentist was not put ashore in the Falklands.  It was determined that tendering, airlifting to the mainland would be more discomfort than staying till Ushuaia where there are better facilities.  Hoping all goes well for them on their long trip home to Tennessee.

What a beautiful camera view I just saw.  Enjoy your time there.

I hope the hospital in Ushuaia makes sure the Dentist is stabilized before sending him on a plane.  I’m not a nurse, but flying with broken bones isn’t always the best.  Wishing him well.

Wow the view of Ushuaia from the Panomax this morning is gorgeous!  So happy it is functioning because it was not working earlier this year there. Surprised so many sailboats are anchored there.

After the ship leaves Ushuaia there is a portion of the Canal Beagle where the Cordillera Darwin is generally to the North and Isla Gordon to the South.  The passage is called Brazo Noroeste.  Along this channel are several glaciers - Holanda, Italia, Francia, Alemania, Romanche and Espana.  I have seen photos, the glaciers flow to the waters edge and are spectacular.  Other cruise lines make this passage an "event" with announcements and narration on loudspeakers.  I am glad Viking doesnt use loudspeakers but i am curious if you passengers are made aware of the ship passing through this area.  I posed this question on the thread for the January 2019 world cruise and no one who responded even knew they sailed through the area.  What a shame!

Jim Avery, perhaps you would be so kind as to take note of the Sun's track through this area.

4 hours ago, Canadian Sunset said:

What a beautiful camera view I just saw.  Enjoy your time there.

I hope the hospital in Ushuaia makes sure the Dentist is stabilized before sending him on a plane.  I’m not a nurse, but flying with broken bones isn’t always the best.  Wishing him well.

Wow, yes, I would imagine it might even be necessary for surgery to be done there.  I had a friend who broke a hip here in Florida, had the surgery, then was flown home to Canada a few days later.  She died from a blood clot about a week later.  So I wish this poor guy well, and yes, we all need that warning about hanging on!

Ushuaia has been a treat.  A nice small city walking distance from the dock.  Lots of good opportunities for local food and drink and lots of shopping as well.  We had the End of the World train to the National Park.  Lots of stunning vistas with snow capped peaks from the harbor as well as the train.  We had an excellent guide who made this trip even better.  For the most part partly sunny and cold.  I am not complaining about the cold.  Really nice to come back from a walkabout not all sweaty.....  And with all your possessions intact too.😎  We are sharing dock space today with the brand new Scenic Eclipse, a beautiful ship.  Only 200 or so passengers but she doesn't look that much smaller than us.  Its great there are so many choices out there.  Leaving shortly for Puerto Williams, Chile.  Doesn't look like a whole lot to do there but we shall see.  Have had some of the best times in the smallest places.  

58 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ushuaia has been a treat.  A nice small city walking distance from the dock.  Lots of good opportunities for local food and drink and lots of shopping as well.  We had the End of the World train to the National Park.  Lots of stunning vistas with snow capped peaks from the harbor as well as the train.  We had an excellent guide who made this trip even better.  For the most part partly sunny and cold.  I am not complaining about the cold.  Really nice to come back from a walkabout not all sweaty.....  And with all your possessions intact too.😎  We are sharing dock space today with the brand new Scenic Eclipse, a beautiful ship.  Only 200 or so passengers but she doesn't look that much smaller than us.  Its great there are so many choices out there.  Leaving shortly for Puerto Williams, Chile.  Doesn't look like a whole lot to do there but we shall see.  Have had some of the best times in the smallest places.  

Did the ship sail through the Brazo Noroeste portion of the Canal Beagle Channel through glacier alley? Please see post #595.

6 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Did the ship sail through the Brazo Noroeste portion of the Canal Beagle Channel through glacier alley? Please see post #595.

I have no idea.  I never sailed these waters in my professional career and I do not have any access to the sailing charts on the bridge.  If you go to the various ship tracking websites you might be able to see the past track.  Now if this was the Canadian/Alaska inside passage I could tell you all about it.  As is, I am learning as I go.🍸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Ah, found it on map.  Ship will probably clear into Chile there.  Will you go scenic cruising to Cape Horn next?