Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

Just wondering if anything has been decided about the fabulous crew aboard the Sun? Are they leaving in Dubai as well, or staying on with the ship. Also, will the ship continue on to the US, or stay in Dubai? I know things are changing all of the time but am curious if there have been any decisions made regarding them.

Edited by Insanityx4

3 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Well said Azulann, that comment has brought tears to my eyes. The TA that we shared together was a genuine highlight of our lives.

In her interview on Forbes.com Viking Cruise Director Helen Clancy quoted a chef she once worked with as saying "‘We are ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen." 

I join you in your prayer that all the ladies and gentlemen of the Viking family (the servers and the served) will soon be enjoying life at sea together once again.

Take Care and God Bless

The TA which was my first Viking cruise was a trip of a  lifetime for me too . So glad we could share it with you and your wife.  I did email Royee and Jack yesterday to just check in with them after reading this thread.

I will think of  all of you on Easter. Remembering  Easter on our TA in the middle of the Atlantic with  our own minister , a member of our rollcall , celebrating new life on the top open deck of the Viking Sea on a beautiful sunny day. 

Edited by Azulann

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, our time aboard the Viking Sun is sadly coming to a premature close. On arrival Dubai, in accordance with our kids wishes, we are returning home. They are becoming increasingly concerned with this crazy world we are currently experiencing. Further details are included on our travel blog.

Heidi13 I’m glad to read that your children have convinced you to come home and I’m sorry your voyage has ended this way. 

I’m sure you’re busy, so can anyone here give me a link to the travel blog please. 

To azulann and photopro2–such wonderful memories of sailing with you on the Sea from San Juan to Barcelona.

To Jim and Lois—so nice sharing drinks with you on that early segment of the Sun’s journey.

Hoping we can all go ‘a Viking’ together. Soon. Again.

Until then, safe travels to the entire Viking family.

(Toasting with Aperol Spritz, with Golden Gate Bridge in distance.)

2093083D-A363-4BCC-9ECF-CF5B2DBB892A.jpeg

• Like 4

Deec and Jim Avery:

Been following the entire voyage and wish you all well.  This situation has been mindboggling ashore and we can only imagine the stress levels afloat.  We are booked on the Sun for the next WC (first 2 segments) that begins on 15 Dec from Miami.  We really hope we can make it and are going with 3 other couples from past WCs.  Safe flights home.

Regards,  Bruce and Lorraine (WC 1&2)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, millybess said:

Heidi13 I’m glad to read that your children have convinced you to come home and I’m sorry your voyage has ended this way. 

I’m sure you’re busy, so can anyone here give me a link to the travel blog please. 

Andy & Judi -  World Cruise & RV'ing Blog: www.andyandjudi.com

OPie, Bruce, Dee and all the others we had the pleasure of a time or two on the Viking Sun together.  You made our time onboard so special.  Hope we all have the chance to meet again on Viking.  World Cruises are a bit addictive.  We are feeling a bit poor these days so maybe a half price sale for the next one??  Best wishes to all and this will end.  They all do.  Duck and cover and don't look at the flash!😱🍸

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

Just wondering if anything has been decided about the fabulous crew aboard the Sun? Are they leaving in Dubai as well, or staying on with the ship. Also, will the ship continue on to the US, or stay in Dubai? I know things are changing all of the time but am curious if there have been any decisions made regarding them.

Some crew that are due leave are hoping to disembark, but the majority will most likely remain on board doing, cleaning, maintenance, training, etc.

No information was provided with respect to how long the ship remains in Dubai or where bound for. Lots of other cruise ships secured alongside in Dubai.

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Some crew that are due leave are hoping to disembark, but the majority will most likely remain on board doing, cleaning, maintenance, training, etc.

No information was provided with respect to how long the ship remains in Dubai or where bound for. Lots of other cruise ships secured alongside in Dubai.

Thanks Andy,

I hope you all get off the ship soon. Emirates is suspending all flights as of Wed. 25th, indefinitely. Safe travels.

Edited by Insanityx4

3 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

Thanks Andy,

I hope you all get off the ship soon. Emirates is suspending all flights as of Wed. 25th, indefinitely. Safe travels.

I believe Emirates just reversed their decision and will still fly to the U.K., USA AND Canada.  This is from their website https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/travel-updates/#3515

Safe travels and thank you for sharing your journey with us.  

About 80 to 90 of us will not have scheduled flights out before Emirates shuts down. Viking is arranging a charter flight, which is expected to depart before 18:00 24th March. Yet again, amazing customer service from Viking.

• Like 2

Safe travels Andy & Judy.  AIS shows Viking Sun still alongside in Dubai.  Not too far from my favorite ship ever, QE2.  Any scuttlebutt as to where she goes from here?  Layup in Dubai would beat a  lot of places I can think of.  

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

About 80 to 90 of us will not have scheduled flights out before Emirates shuts down. Viking is arranging a charter flight, which is expected to depart before 18:00 24th March. Yet again, amazing customer service from Viking.

This is great!  Thanks to Viking you won't be exposed to strangers.

Andy,

It was a pleasure following your adventures.  

Safe flight home to everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Safe travels Andy & Judy.  AIS shows Viking Sun still alongside in Dubai.  Not too far from my favorite ship ever, QE2.  Any scuttlebutt as to where she goes from here?  Layup in Dubai would beat a  lot of places I can think of.  

Aye, Aye Jim, the QE2 has moved to this side of the harbour and we have a great view of her. Magnificent, real ship, as opposed to most of the new floating palaces.

Nothing confirmed, but best guess is she departs Dubai for transit to London as a cargo ship.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking is arranging a charter flight, which is expected to depart before 18:00 24th March. Yet again, amazing customer service from Viking.

That is fabulous news; almost like leaving your private yacht to board your private jet 😁 🛩️ Ok.....I know that it will be quite a big plane really but you get the point!

In fact I am a bit of an aviation geek so would love to hear about the aircraft, route etc when you are home and have had chance to rest.

Thanks again for taking us along for the ride. Safe travels!!!!!

• Haha 1