Jump to content

Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Captain just announced we are docking early in Punta Arenas. This afternoon instead of tomorrow. We have had lots of sea days. Beautiful scenery but time for a port stop.😎

Great for you!  Was wondering why the ships position was nearing punta arenas so early this afternoon.  You have been scenic cruising for 4 days now.  Gorgeous.  Up and back in 2 fjords...marvelous.  slowly, slowly passing glaciers.  So lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, OnTheJourney said:

 

I suspect we're talking about two different cruises. The one I'm referring to is a non-public sailing. 1/18/21 Rome to Barcelona. The March Sky guests were extended an invitation on it from Mr. Hagen following the 3/23 incident. I assume, then, that you're booked on the 1/26 Iberian Explorer (Barcelona to London)? That could probably be considered as the "inaugural sailing". Sorry for any confusion. What I tend to think of as the inaugural trip is the one the Sky guests were offered. 

When we talked with Hamed (on the Sun), he said that (re: The Venus), he thought the first sailing would be a short run with (normally) just Viking personnel, and the Barcelona to Londone would be the first “real cruise”. 
we assumed The Sky people would be on our sailing. We are THRILLED to hear that your sailing will be with all the Viking higher ups”. You all deserve that “red carpet” experience.  Bravo Viking!-Jeannette😌

 

On 11/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, OnTheJourney said:

 

I suspect we're talking about two different cruises. The one I'm referring to is a non-public sailing. 1/18/21 Rome to Barcelona. The March Sky guests were extended an invitation on it from Mr. Hagen following the 3/23 incident. I assume, then, that you're booked on the 1/26 Iberian Explorer (Barcelona to London)? That could probably be considered as the "inaugural sailing". Sorry for any confusion. What I tend to think of as the inaugural trip is the one the Sky guests were offered. 

 

Edited by Jukebo1x
Link to post
Share on other sites

A rainy, chilly day in Punta Arenas. (This is almost summer?) Lots of beautiful Colonial era buildings and a lovely central park with some of the best looking trees and a statue of Ferdinand Magellan. But it is Sunday. The majority of the shopping and restaurants are closed. This has happened before, Sunday is not the best day to visit.  Still nice to get off the ship and walkabout.

A037910F-081F-490B-8CEB-2AF087F7B984.jpeg

8A65BB64-89A3-4E83-8C53-5A07882763EA.jpeg

731652D3-3B42-4884-A6EA-B61A99952D59.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

A rainy and chilly sea day and another sea day tomorrow. Cruising the Chilean fijords so there’s a view. Around 3:30 this afternoon we are due to be at another glacier. One plus with the sea days is Viking puts on special food events. Today there are several soups and a selection of sandwiches on the Pool Deck. Good stuff. Also, Christmas decorations are going up. Great looking stuff so far. When it is all up there will be plenty of pictures posted.🎄☃️

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

A rainy and chilly sea day and another sea day tomorrow. Cruising the Chilean fijords so there’s a view. Around 3:30 this afternoon we are due to be at another glacier. One plus with the sea days is Viking puts on special food events. Today there are several soups and a selection of sandwiches on the Pool Deck. Good stuff. Also, Christmas decorations are going up. Great looking stuff so far. When it is all up there will be plenty of pictures posted.🎄☃️

Soup &sandwiches sounds like terrific comfort food. .
cant wait to see the decorations. I’ll bet they will be stunning. -Jeannette😌 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a change we have a beautiful, sunny, flat calm sea day.  It is warming up nicely the further North we get.  I for one have had enough snow capped peaks and glaciers.  Haha, be careful what I ask for, right?  Tomorrow, at Puerto Montt, it is supposed to be warmer but rainy.  And we are riding horses. 😱  But then, the weather changes often in this part of the world.  Today the fabulous Viking crew put on a brunch on the pool deck.  That really does not begin to describe the feast put out for us.  The work they went to was amazing.  I will probably forget some part of it but there was a Beef and Sea  (surf and turf?) station, a taco station, caviar with the trimmings, an ice cream bar with lots of toppings, an omelet station, pasta station, melon assortment, breads display, a donut display, other desserts, shrimp and crab displays, Prosciutto and anti pasta station, sushi station, cheeses, all washed down with mimosas and bloody marys or whatever else you wanted.  An amazing display.  I saw Tom taking lots of pictures so how about it Tom.....😎  Now, what to do for dinner??🍸

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my, did the crew have to drain the pool so that they had enough space for all that food?  Only joking😌
Jim, that sounds delish & FABULOUS!  !  It must have taken quite a while to Plan and then execute.  Kudos to the crew!-Jeannette
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jukebo1x said:

Oh my, did the crew have to drain the pool so that they had enough space for all that food?  Only joking😌
Jim, that sounds delish & FABULOUS!  !  It must have taken quite a while to Plan and then execute.  Kudos to the crew!-Jeannette
 

They filled the pool  with champagne.....  Ok, just kidding but it really was a fantastic spread.  I can only guess at how many people worked so hard on this.  🍸

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

They filled the pool  with champagne.....  Ok, just kidding but it really was a fantastic spread.  I can only guess at how many people worked so hard on this.  🍸

😮Hahaha, would not surprise me. 
it all sounded magnificent 😌-Jeannette

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

.  ....... An amazing display.  I saw Tom taking lots of pictures so how about it Tom.....😎  ....


That must be my doppelgänger you saw!
I spent 10:00 to 1:30 in the Kitchen Table Cooking Class and only got a muffin at the buffet for a quick breakfast.

 

I hope someone else got some good photos.

Edited by Tom.in.nc
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:


That must be my doppelgänger you saw!
I spent 10:00 to 1:30 in the Kitchen Table Cooking Class and only got a muffin at the buffet for a quick breakfast.

 

I hope someone else got some good photos.

Hi Tom,

 

What is the Chef’s name at the Kitchen table class? I was at his class in past January but when I saw your picture of him, I suddenly forgot his name - shame on me! 🙈

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

Hi Tom,

What is the Chef’s name at the Kitchen table class? I was at his class in past January but when I saw your picture of him, I suddenly forgot his name - shame on me! 🙈


That would be Chef Wayan, a fantastic chef and a wonderful, real, person, who I am pleased to call my friend.

 

Tom

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom.in.nc said:


That must be my doppelgänger you saw!
I spent 10:00 to 1:30 in the Kitchen Table Cooking Class and only got a muffin at the buffet for a quick breakfast.

 

I hope someone else got some good photos.

Haha, your evil twin. 🍸

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

For a change we have a beautiful, sunny, flat calm sea day.  It is warming up nicely the further North we get.  I for one have had enough snow capped peaks and glaciers.  Haha, be careful what I ask for, right?  Tomorrow, at Puerto Montt, it is supposed to be warmer but rainy.  And we are riding horses. 😱  But then, the weather changes often in this part of the world.  Today the fabulous Viking crew put on a brunch on the pool deck.  That really does not begin to describe the feast put out for us.  The work they went to was amazing.  I will probably forget some part of it but there was a Beef and Sea  (surf and turf?) station, a taco station, caviar with the trimmings, an ice cream bar with lots of toppings, an omelet station, pasta station, melon assortment, breads display, a donut display, other desserts, shrimp and crab displays, Prosciutto and anti pasta station, sushi station, cheeses, all washed down with mimosas and bloody marys or whatever else you wanted.  An amazing display.  I saw Tom taking lots of pictures so how about it Tom.....😎  Now, what to do for dinner??🍸

OMG!! - after that spread and they still served dinner. Counting the days! 😀🍺

Link to post
Share on other sites

Puerto Montt just cancelled.  A tender port, the wind and swells made tendering a bit dangerous.  The Captain made the right call even if we did have to get up early.  Rain forecasted too so there you go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Puerto Montt just cancelled.  A tender port, the wind and swells made tendering a bit dangerous.  The Captain made the right call even if we did have to get up early.  Rain forecasted too so there you go.  

Unfortunate, but safety first.

 

Bonnie

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...