Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

17 minutes ago, Kathryn Ham said:

Hello ... we are excited to be joining the world cruise in Mumbai for the last leg. I think Viking did this leg a year or so ago. Anyone reading have any info or hints to share? Or can you point me to another message board?  Haven’t been able to find it.

Many thanks for all these posts. Lovely to see all that we will find onboard. 

Regards,

Kathryn Hamilton

Don't forget to check out the active roll call for the 2nd half and all segments - Jan 4th L/A to London (Greenwich)

3 hours ago, Kathryn Ham said:

Will do. Thank you. Are you on that leg? Would be happy to say hi to any others also traveling on the last segment.

Thank you.

Kathryn Hamilton

Affirmative, we are boarding on Jan 4th in L/A and will be aboard until arrival Greenwich. Our roll call is very active and a number of us are meeting on Jan 3rd, with some of the departing pax.

Another relaxing sea day after Coquimbo/La Serena, Chile.  We took the included tour and it was not much.  To be honest not much difference from place to place.  Just my opinion and others probably did more interesting things.  Hope we shall get some input on optional tours.  Iquique, Chile is tomorrow's stop.  Last stop in Chile.  Seems we have been in Chile for a month.  Haha, pretty close.  We are looking forward to Peru next and we have an excursion flying over the Nazca Lines.  If it doesn't get cancelled.  So far we have had three different flight seeing excursions cancelled.  I don't think you can see much of the Nazca Lines from the ground.  Weather is warming up and getting sunnier so fingers crossed.  The new group onboard for this segment has a reported 80 Cruise Critic participants so we should get lots of input here.  I invite all the new onboard to pitch in with your experiences.  We are also a bit less as far as passenger count this segment.  Less crowded is always good.  We have been having some good meals so need sea days in the gym to try to keep the weight off.  Not sure it's working totally but sure am enjoying all the good food and drink.  Had dinner with Cruise Director Vicki Van Tassel last night and really enjoyed it.  She has a great sense of humor and is lots of fun.  We think she is very good at her job as well.  For those who know The Dentist who broke his hip enroute to the Falklands, I am pleased to say he and his lovely wife are back onboard.  He looks fine and seems to get around ok.  He is one tough Tennesseean.  Again, welcome aboard to all the CC posters out there.🍸😎

• Like 1

Jim, regarding stuff “looking alike”, I felt the same way once we hit the West Indies. It was as if the ship stayed in port & someone just switched the backdrops...Hahaha

While we enjoyed all of our optional excursions, for the first time, we did not purchase one in every port.  Too much beach time😌...I guess that’s what most want to do. 
Those are a lot of CC people. Should be fun!

Vicki certainly was a highlight of our segment. She truly was a breath of fresh air.  I wonder when her contract is up?

Since she is engaged and will marry, I doubt she will be doing another “long cruise”.  
Thanks for the dentist update. I’m thrilled that he’s doing fine. 
I guess he has the choice of healing at home, or healing at sea, where he can see😌. Good choice, as long as one can handle it! 

thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date. 
I too hope that the other CC passengers provide updates.

Safe travels to all-Jeannette

Hi Jeannette,

Vicki said she is leaving in LA January 3rd.  Getting married end of January hopefully in the Shetlands.  Who knows if all the details will work out exactly on time but that was the last heard.  She also said who will take over as CD but I couldn't hear all of it across the table.  Wine was involved too.  A guy this time.  Will lurk for more details...😎

9 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Jeannette,

Vicki said she is leaving in LA January 3rd.  Getting married end of January hopefully in the Shetlands.  Who knows if all the details will work out exactly on time but that was the last heard.  She also said who will take over as CD but I couldn't hear all of it across the table.  Wine was involved too.  A guy this time.  Will lurk for more details...😎

Hi Jim-I figures she’d be leaving. 
We’ll be on a British isles VOC in May, so perhaps we can crash her wedding...only kidding. 
Whoever Takes her spot on THe Sun has some big heels to fill😌
Yes wine can affect hearing, but so can the loud rock music that we listened to in the ‘60’s...hahaha. 

Didn’t  know if you follow the news. About 3 days ago, a Chilean Air Force jet (C-130) left Punta Arenas bound for Antarctica. About 70minutes into its flight, it disappeared from the radar. 
According to the AP, late yesterday, pieces from the wreckage and human remains were spotted in the ocean. Doesn’t look like any survivors. 
Sorry for the sad story, but thought since the ship was in Punta Arenas recently, it may be of some interest. 
On a lighter note, we in the Midwest will be getting some snow on Sunday. I want you to enjoy the warmer temps, while we Have to bundle up-Jeannette😌

Just for accuracy’s sake, the Chilean Air Force C-130 is not a jet aircraft.  It is a 4 engine turbo prop that has been a very reliable workhorse for various militaries around the world including the US since the Vietnam era at least.  The C-130 has been used to supply Antarctic installations for many years.  My condolences to the families of those impacted by this tragedy. 
Mad

3 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Just for accuracy’s sake, the Chilean Air Force C-130 is not a jet aircraft.  It is a 4 engine turbo prop that has been a very reliable workhorse for various militaries around the world including the US since the Vietnam era at least.  The C-130 has been used to supply Antarctic installations for many years.  My condolences to the families of those impacted by this tragedy. 
Mad

Mad-Pardon my ignorance. 
Obviously, my forte is not aircraft. 
While I fly more than I’d like to admit, I have never really focused on the difference between a jet and a C-130. .

Thanks for teaching me. 
I was saddened by the news, and my sympathies are with the families and friends affected.
BTW, thank you for your service-Jeannette. 

Edited by Jukebo1x
Added info

34 minutes ago, Jukebo1x said:

Mad-Pardon my ignorance. 
Obviously, my forte is not aircraft. 
While I fly more than I’d like to admit, I have never really focused on the difference between a jet and a C-130. .

Thanks for teaching me. 
I was saddened by the news, and my sympathies are with the families and friends affected.
BTW, thank you for your service-Jeannette. 

Oh,  my message was not intended to detract from your excellent post.  It was an attempt to inform.  The C-130 is an excellent aircraft well suited for resupply to Antarctica.

It was a privilege to serve.
Mad

On 12/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, Kathryn Ham said:

Hello ... we are excited to be joining the world cruise in Mumbai for the last leg. I think Viking did this leg a year or so ago. Anyone reading have any info or hints to share? Or can you point me to another message board?  Haven’t been able to find it.

Many thanks for all these posts. Lovely to see all that we will find onboard. 

Regards,

Kathryn Hamilton

I was on the Athens to Mumbai part of the cruise. 

In Mumbai we booked a fantastic tour called Mumbai magic it was a local tour by locals. By Magic Tours of India. Contact was Parveen Shaikh at parveen@magictoursofindia.com

Any other ports I can help with?

Edited by geffric

16 hours ago, geffric said:

I was on the Athens to Mumbai part of the cruise. 

In Mumbai we booked a fantastic tour called Mumbai magic it was a local tour by locals. By Magic Tours of India. Contact was Parveen Shaikh at parveen@magictoursofindia.com

Any other ports I can help with?

Thank you very much. We should have a day on our own in Mumbai and this was exactly the type of recommendation I was hoping for. For the rest of the trip we’ve settled on Viking excursions ... unless some of them fall through I think we’re good. .Very much appreciate the help.

Kathryn Hamilton

Docked in Callao for Lima, Peru.  Supposedly only 7 miles from where the busses drop us off but it will take 45 minutes each way.  Also we were told our drop location was changed for "safety reasons".   This is surely a pattern in South America, the traffic, and or long distances to events, the crowding, the crime.  A series of crumbling Colonial Era towns with few exceptions.  In looking back our pictures are all of Colonial Era buildings.  Newer buildings are not very attractive and then there are the slums.  Not sure what I expected in SA but so far not very exciting.  Except yesterday.  We overflew the Nazca Lines.  As is the norm it was an hour and a half to get to the airport and two hours to get back due to bad roads and traffic but the hour and a quarter flight was wild!  We flew in a Cessna 12 seater turbo prop so we each had a window seat.  Very cramped but then that helped not get thrown about.  The pilot boarded, said good morning and started the engine.  With no ground check, warmup or anything he hit the throttle and we jumped out to the active runway and took off.  About 30 minutes to the Lines then about 30 minutes circling the approximately 12 figures, then about 20 minutes back to the airport.  As with most small planes flying over desert the thermals made it a bumpy ride.  But wait.  Each figure was circled right side and left side with the wing tip pointing to the ground.  Hi G load turns along with the bumpy thermals.  I can suggest that if you are prone to motion sickness, take the meds!  Two of our group of 12 used the supplied barf bags.  That aside, the lines are fantastic to see.  Very visible and scattered over distances.  No explanations offered as to when or how the perspectives and work were done.  I don't think anyone knows other than speculating on who, what, why, and when they might be done.  I, for one, don't see how anyone could create these images at this scale and with the proportions correct without seeing from above.  Aliens anyone???😱 We are surely missing the 120 or so crew that left this past week but are meeting nice new crew.  Another difference with the Inaugural WC where all the senior staff and a good number of the bar and restaurant staff made the entire 4 months.  Crew becomes friends and family.  Anyway, off to Lima.  Woo Hoo, another bus ride in traffic. I vaguely remember just walking ashore and into a nice town area.........😎

Jim

Congrats on crossing off something from MY bucket list!😂. I would love to see the lines in person but given my height (not to mention my weight) I suspect I’d have trouble in a 12 passenger Cessna 😢

Sorry to heat that SA has been underwhelming.  We only have done from BA to Valparaiso and loved every port.  I have always thought it would be great to do a cruise from Miami to BA and then try to do a land stay (we loved Uruguay) and then cruise again from Valparaiso back north to complete our South America circumnavigation.  After reading your posts, perhaps I need to look at other places we are anxious to go. 

Hopefully you will soon have the new crew  broken in. Hope the next segments will be more exciting. 

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Docked in Callao for Lima, Peru.  Supposedly only 7 miles from where the busses drop us off but it will take 45 minutes each way.  Also we were told our drop location was changed for "safety reasons".   This is surely a pattern in South America, the traffic, and or long distances to events, the crowding, the crime.  A series of crumbling Colonial Era towns with few exceptions.  In looking back our pictures are all of Colonial Era buildings.  Newer buildings are not very attractive and then there are the slums.  Not sure what I expected in SA but so far not very exciting.  Except yesterday.  We overflew the Nazca Lines.  As is the norm it was an hour and a half to get to the airport and two hours to get back due to bad roads and traffic but the hour and a quarter flight was wild!  We flew in a Cessna 12 seater turbo prop so we each had a window seat.  Very cramped but then that helped not get thrown about.  The pilot boarded, said good morning and started the engine.  With no ground check, warmup or anything he hit the throttle and we jumped out to the active runway and took off.  About 30 minutes to the Lines then about 30 minutes circling the approximately 12 figures, then about 20 minutes back to the airport.  As with most small planes flying over desert the thermals made it a bumpy ride.  But wait.  Each figure was circled right side and left side with the wing tip pointing to the ground.  Hi G load turns along with the bumpy thermals.  I can suggest that if you are prone to motion sickness, take the meds!  Two of our group of 12 used the supplied barf bags.  That aside, the lines are fantastic to see.  Very visible and scattered over distances.  No explanations offered as to when or how the perspectives and work were done.  I don't think anyone knows other than speculating on who, what, why, and when they might be done.  I, for one, don't see how anyone could create these images at this scale and with the proportions correct without seeing from above.  Aliens anyone???😱 We are surely missing the 120 or so crew that left this past week but are meeting nice new crew.  Another difference with the Inaugural WC where all the senior staff and a good number of the bar and restaurant staff made the entire 4 months.  Crew becomes friends and family.  Anyway, off to Lima.  Woo Hoo, another bus ride in traffic. I vaguely remember just walking ashore and into a nice town area.........😎

Jim, while The Lines sounded very exciting, I guess “the journey “ to see them doesn’t sound as appealing. 😌

I guess since Alan is 6’5” and definitely prone to motion sickness (as demonstrated the day we met you at the Meet & Mingle), he would probably go horseback riding. 
As for me, I’m on the fence with that excursion. 
I recall in BA and in Iguazu there was lots of poverty, and there were many crumbling structures.

i have to agree with you, it’s a sad reality, however when you compare SA structures with ours, ours are usually maintained. 
we are very fortunate to live here in the US, and excursions through other countries reinforce this. 
As an aside, you are very fortunate. Here in the Midwest, schools have been out both yesterday & today, and due to a series of shoveling, I just completed shoveling approx 10+inches of snow😮Enjoy that warmer climate😌

P.s.—I vote Aliens...just saying😌

Edited by Jukebo1x
Spelling

On 12/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, aliens it is!  Btw, I am 6' 3"/220lbs and there was a guy larger than me onboard.  Definitely a tight fit but he could do it.  Just don't forget the pills.....  A great view if scary.😱🍸

I have to ask re: SA. Did you make any furry friends while visiting all of those ports?  They are everywhere. Woof!