Jump to content

Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion


Recommended Posts

You are right about the cloth towels.  Also in every public restroom.  We met Kay, one of the tireless crew, who's job it is is to clean the public spaces including the restrooms and re stock the cloth towels.  She is always so pleasant and always stopped to speak to us.  We tipped her before leaving, one of the staff that is easily overlooked but add constantly to our days onboard.  Those public restrooms are cleaned/restocked every few hours.  Amazing..  And, like the Captain, it only takes a second to use the cloth to wipe up your splashes around the sinks. 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

 

I like that they have both options (although I'm not sure I know anyone who prefers sanitizer).  What I really liked seeing were cloth towels! (sometimes it's the little touches 🙂 ).

Yep, they have cloth towels at all restrooms.  I too was happy the first time on VO, and was surprised to see them on X and HAL on recent cruises.  I suspect it is part of their sustainability efforts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yep, they have cloth towels at all restrooms.  I too was happy the first time on VO, and was surprised to see them on X and HAL on recent cruises.  I suspect it is part of their sustainability efforts. 

 

Regent has always had cloth towels, but I admit I like the idea of the washing stations at the dining entrances, as an alternative to the ubiquitous hand-sanitizers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our last cruises on Carnival, RCI, and Princess all had hand washing stations at the lido deck, but paper towels for drying (which at least work better than air dryers). 

 

The report of cloth towels in the restrooms is nice to hear since I usually only find air dryers on ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pacruise804 said:

Our last cruises on Carnival, RCI, and Princess all had hand washing stations at the lido deck, but paper towels for drying (which at least work better than air dryers). 

 

The report of cloth towels in the restrooms is nice to hear since I usually only find air dryers on ships.

 

You mean with blowers?  They are terrible, they just blow the germs around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, the buffet wash stations would have towels but restroom sinks had blowers.  Carnival has tissues to open the door with so you don't touch the handle and Royal had push buttons to open doors.  I understand why the larger ships do it that way, but looking forward to the Viking experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, you seem to be settling in nicely.  How is it going in your new home?  Likes? Dislikes?  Curious minds of stay at homers want to know.....🍺

 

We cruise vicariously though the adventures of others...  till JUNE!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, Jim Avery said:

You are right about the cloth towels.  Also in every public restroom.  We met Kay, one of the tireless crew, who's job it is is to clean the public spaces including the restrooms and re stock the cloth towels.  She is always so pleasant and always stopped to speak to us.  We tipped her before leaving, one of the staff that is easily overlooked but add constantly to our days onboard.  Those public restrooms are cleaned/restocked every few hours.  Amazing..  And, like the Captain, it only takes a second to use the cloth to wipe up your splashes around the sinks. 😎

Hi Jim,

 

Just wanted to comment on what a sweet gesture you made to tip Kay.  You're absolutely right, easily overlooked, but integral to the overall Viking experience.  Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 5:41 AM, Jim Avery said:

Andy, you seem to be settling in nicely.  How is it going in your new home?  Likes? Dislikes?  Curious minds of stay at homers want to know.....🍺

Hi Jim,

 

Attending functions, meals, keeping up the blog and managing photos, just doesn't leave much time.

 

All is well. You resolved the L/B securing issue, as no noise noted, even after tendering yesterday. Ship is spotless and is extremely well managed, both technical and hotel sides. The crew are amazing, can't do enough for you. Meals are very good, tried the Italian place last evening - excellent.

 

Entertainment is better than we expected and the Cruise Director (Bevan) is brilliant.

 

Off to dinner, followed by a film on deck

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Random question of the day: is there liquid hand soap in the cabins?  I was organizing some of our travel supplies and thought of it.  We prefer liquid to bar but most ships we've sailed have bar soaps in the staterooms for hand washing.

While there is no liquid hand soap in the staterooms, you can always ask your cabin steward for an extra tube of body wash. Jeannette😌

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won’t need to ask, if you put one in the shower, they will provide another shower gel on the shelf.   I should know, when trying to help my DMIL pack at the end of our TA last spring, I had to remove the two gallon size ziplock bags she had filled with conditioner, shampoo and lotion.😂 

 

And she wondered why all the stuff she brought aboard wouldn’t fit back into the same suitcase!🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You won’t need to ask, if you put one in the shower, they will provide another shower gel on the shelf.   I should know, when trying to help my DMIL pack at the end of our TA last spring, I had to remove the two gallon size ziplock bags she had filled with conditioner, shampoo and lotion.😂 

 

And she wondered why all the stuff she brought aboard wouldn’t fit back into the same suitcase!🤪

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 6:40 AM, pacruise804 said:

Random question of the day: is there liquid hand soap in the cabins?  I was organizing some of our travel supplies and thought of it.  We prefer liquid to bar but most ships we've sailed have bar soaps in the staterooms for hand washing.


We wanted a antibacterial soap so we brought our own. But just about 10 days later, 1/4 is already gone. Your milage may vary. 

BB2CAB2F-4B24-4695-BB19-D7C14B75A4D0.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jukebo1x said:

Hahaha, Clay, that’s why I only bring back a couple of shampoos & conditioners...it’s a girl thing😌

I let her keep the lil’ honeys and jams from her breakfast trays.   I figured she would use them at home. 

 

Nope, while at her house over Christmas I saw they were still sitting on her kitchen counter where she put them when she unpacked last May!  

 

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the producers of Horders? 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I let her keep the lil’ honeys and jams from her breakfast trays.   I figured she would use them at home. 

 

Nope, while at her house over Christmas I saw they were still sitting on her kitchen counter where she put them when she unpacked last May!  

 

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the producers of Horders? 😂

Perhaps she does what I do...I add the tubes to stuff for a program called”April Showers”. 
Girl Scouts collect toiletries & other stuff & take it down to women’s shelters. 
As for the jelly, I really have no answers😌

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I let her keep the lil’ honeys and jams from her breakfast trays.   I figured she would use them at home. 

 

Nope, while at her house over Christmas I saw they were still sitting on her kitchen counter where she put them when she unpacked last May!  

 

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the producers of Horders? 😂

Your Mom reminds me of my Grandmother (rest her soul).  As a child of the depression and WWII bride she couldn't stand to see anything go to waste.  She would have likely consider the ship honeys and jams to be "fancy" and save them for a special occasion, which of course no occasion was ever special enough 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jukebo1x said:

Perhaps she does what I do...I add the tubes to stuff for a program called”April Showers”. 
Girl Scouts collect toiletries & other stuff & take it down to women’s shelters. 
As for the jelly, I really have no answers😌

No, she just hordes them. Back when I was working and traveling a lot I would “collect” mini shampoos and such from hotels for the guest room bath basket. When I realized that I had waaay more toiletries than we would ever have guests I donated the significant access to the women’s shelter across the street from our condo.  Perhaps I should suggeatbshe do the same with some of her stuff. 

 

Thanks for the reminder!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...