Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jim Avery

Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Recommended Posts

Funny you should mention Culloden as that's what was on today along with Cawdor Castle.  Not a bad ride in with beautiful scenery, we toured a beautiful formerly unknown (to me) residential castle  outside Inverness.  Extensive gardens with a finely kept hedgerow maze as well as lots of other flowers and trees.  Very lush.  The castle is still lived in so had a more homey feel than some of the other National Trust properties.  Back onboard the coach we were taught lots of history about Culloden as we drove over.  There are extensive displays at the Culloden Battleground entrance building along with the requisite gift shop and a small cafeteria.  We had full Scottish weather with rain, wind, sun, cold, warm,  rinse and repeat.  Our guide was excellent and taught us lots.  Lois is a fan of Outlander so was glad to see the little cottage and the "hairy cows" featured on the show.  Seems lots of fans of the show at Culloden. As we were leaving naturally the sun came out.  But the wind picked up mightily.  As we returned to the ship I estimate around 40 mph winds on the dock.  Thankfully they have subsided a bit.  Bet we have a few bumps tonight...🍸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53D6AA75-3D4F-4481-9078-2C0E85F57EAD.thumb.jpeg.6d4c99e4f6d379ef28c3625bdd46cc48.jpeg74297A98-6F8E-4C27-92F5-FBEDED311135.thumb.jpeg.e69a1f90cd8249b815dbca23f85a1d8c.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.03a3c63fe7ce59b250d784e73f48b209.jpgI went in search of Scotch Whiskey and DW searched for tartans and wool sweaters...

Two guys bought full kilt outfits (~£600)!!

15F22B39-E74C-408D-B310-888C632A6E0B.thumb.jpeg.19077a713b2350c67091bedbe610ab9e.jpegD11F05AD-3401-4F2E-9C5F-CA6D616FF1F3.thumb.jpeg.c0b3aa3bb9454769044d6d23150702c9.jpeg7912E7A2-00A3-407A-922B-23AD2978117A.jpeg.d1d8b0106b9833c84d90470dd60ec03a.jpegE4045B5D-D8E4-44AE-8F41-5ED55B701187.jpeg.8587677dc6e180735d969c03f795cde0.jpeg56261ACC-6D6E-419D-8861-198D80CBFB86.jpeg.6304597c6909afa3f2809a2c9d1b53a5.jpegD3B4B5DF-A203-4411-AC35-AEE31605D449.jpeg.b1f72c3dc16aa45477ce875ef3cdc98f.jpeg

Edited by Tom.in.nc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful cruise pictures.

 

Could one of you from time to time post a copy of the daily pamphlet  (especially sea days) so we can get an idea of what activities are offered and the ship's hours?

 

Thanks and enjoy the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Workinless said:

Wonderful cruise pictures.

 

Could one of you from time to time post a copy of the daily pamphlet  (especially sea days) so we can get an idea of what activities are offered and the ship's hours?

 

Thanks and enjoy the trip.

 

Greta Idea.  I'd like to sea it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

53D6AA75-3D4F-4481-9078-2C0E85F57EAD.thumb.jpeg.6d4c99e4f6d379ef28c3625bdd46cc48.jpeg74297A98-6F8E-4C27-92F5-FBEDED311135.thumb.jpeg.e69a1f90cd8249b815dbca23f85a1d8c.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.03a3c63fe7ce59b250d784e73f48b209.jpgI went in search of Scotch Whiskey and DW searched for tartans and wool sweaters...

Two guys bought full kilt outfits (~£600)!!

15F22B39-E74C-408D-B310-888C632A6E0B.thumb.jpeg.19077a713b2350c67091bedbe610ab9e.jpegD11F05AD-3401-4F2E-9C5F-CA6D616FF1F3.thumb.jpeg.c0b3aa3bb9454769044d6d23150702c9.jpeg7912E7A2-00A3-407A-922B-23AD2978117A.jpeg.d1d8b0106b9833c84d90470dd60ec03a.jpegE4045B5D-D8E4-44AE-8F41-5ED55B701187.jpeg.8587677dc6e180735d969c03f795cde0.jpeg56261ACC-6D6E-419D-8861-198D80CBFB86.jpeg.6304597c6909afa3f2809a2c9d1b53a5.jpegD3B4B5DF-A203-4411-AC35-AEE31605D449.jpeg.b1f72c3dc16aa45477ce875ef3cdc98f.jpeg

 

44 minutes ago, NY Nick said:

 

Greta Idea.  I'd like to sea it.

 

They look. but when are they going to be worn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NY Nick said:

 

Greta Idea.  I'd like to sea it.

 

 

Cruising is seaing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Workinless said:

Wonderful cruise pictures.

 

Could one of you from time to time post a copy of the daily pamphlet  (especially sea days) so we can get an idea of what activities are offered and the ship's hours?

 

Thanks and enjoy the trip.

This format work?

 

B9C5F099-8C57-46E9-9AD6-BCC40B62A643.thumb.jpeg.73d38d38d71b608e76206f5d2486e039.jpeg538F509B-0C30-49FD-881A-574E0F3F0468.thumb.jpeg.cf043335a963e273f8b88e8536b924be.jpeg72788A7A-B282-46CD-A34B-A845070FDBCA.thumb.jpeg.607103d91b01243f77d4d615127392e2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the first Lerwick one, it says “pick up your instructions and Nordic Bathing Ritual at reception for $25.”  I thought the Nordic spa was included. They are charging $25 for the instructions?  Is this something new - the charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

In the first Lerwick one, it says “pick up your instructions and Nordic Bathing Ritual at reception for $25.”  I thought the Nordic spa was included. They are charging $25 for the instructions?  Is this something new - the charge?

They are selling a package (samples of body scrub, face scrub, face mask, and face cream) and instructions how and what to use at a particular stage of bathing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

They are selling a package (samples of body scrub, face scrub, face mask, and face cream) and instructions how and what to use at a particular stage of bathing. 

 

Ah okay, that makes sense. It sounded like they were charging for instructions.  If they offer this on our cruise I might try it.  Make my Scandinavian ancestors proud 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

 

Ah okay, that makes sense. It sounded like they were charging for instructions.  If they offer this on our cruise I might try it.  Make my Scandinavian ancestors proud 😆

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

😀

I've noticed that they have spa events a couple of times on a cruise.  Usually at 8 pm, costs $39 and you have to sign up for it.  They teach you the benefits of and proper way to perform the Nordic Bathing Ritual.  I heard that they give you product samples and you have a choice of foot or scalp massage at the end.  I hope selling the products and giving use directions doesn't replace that event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

This format work?

 

B9C5F099-8C57-46E9-9AD6-BCC40B62A643.thumb.jpeg.73d38d38d71b608e76206f5d2486e039.jpeg538F509B-0C30-49FD-881A-574E0F3F0468.thumb.jpeg.cf043335a963e273f8b88e8536b924be.jpeg72788A7A-B282-46CD-A34B-A845070FDBCA.thumb.jpeg.607103d91b01243f77d4d615127392e2.jpeg

I see from this you have Captain Olaf.  We had him on the second half of the 2019 WC.  I guess he’s doing another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Shetlands today.  Weather started out sunny and brisk, then rained and cold, then sunny and brisk, then rainy and cold, and you get the picture.  Luckily, our included tour went without a drop.  Sunny all the way.  This is a beautiful place but as Desert Rats we would probably freeze solid in the winter.  Nonetheless this was a very good tour with a rolling the rrrrrs Scotsman guide and ponies.  Beautiful to look at but more than one person suggested "they bite".  Managed to come home with 10 fingers.  We took it easy today with a Noon tour so slept till woke and even hit the gym before touring.  Very pretty scenery and lots of old ruins about.  Some Viking, some reported to be Pict.  Tonight we have a tough choice.  Surf & turf with lobster or Norwegian king crab.  This is hard work.  Then off to Bergen for three days.🍸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I see from this you have Captain Olaf.  We had him on the second half of the 2019 WC.  I guess he’s doing another.

The Captain leaves us in Bergen, tomorrow, and we pick up a replacement.

They said they would be replacing the Captain of the Sun about every two months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shetland Ponies 

Interesting fact, these ponies sleep standing up and lift a rear hoof slightly off the ground to maintain a stable three point stance.

Notice the fifth photo.

B58B2EE5-95FA-416E-87CE-288ACBA992E4.thumb.jpeg.077e0f8bd35566661af4fb80be076719.jpegE3732690-A16A-4459-B270-12E73E816C4A.thumb.jpeg.300e59eac87f7d8002fcda4a109ced17.jpeg9A6C2117-6C24-47E1-B322-BCD56871900C.thumb.jpeg.e5da334ce9c6cc4f91ef0aa3a095f3d0.jpegB0C316B6-7FA5-4B69-92A5-D2C1EE647F2F.thumb.jpeg.7aa0b3df29dc12a6b77ba935eb407e0f.jpeg06E7AFCE-A82A-43AB-BD0A-0FF78464247C.thumb.jpeg.8c70b61c770a9eac9a3ff0440a176f86.jpeg

 

E2213B26-8C77-4155-A925-28145CAB3D7A.jpeg.9e6b83bb6152d414e55f62d0fa17f8f2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep the pictures coming!!  Most interesting. One thing I've always wondered, however, is how you folks that do these cruises manage things at home while being gone for months at at time? Full-time house / plant / pet sitters, etc.?  Or downsized to the point where there is not all that much to take care of? Or basically (and I've actually heard of this) not having much real estate at all anymore and basically "living" on cruise ships?  I've considered a cruise of this nature but the logistics of it (with a substantial property, etc. to take care of) just seems like it'd be a bit overwhelming!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pictures.  Loved The Shetlands.  Included in 2018 was very good and The Rugged Beauty of the North optional was exceptional.  Our guides on both tours were top notch.  Saw Puffins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...