Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ohnonotmeagain

Should the worst happens

A while ago I posted a topic on Air  Transat  and was informed that were in talks with Air Canada ?takeover bid.

Well I've booked and paid for those flights........

But it got me wondering what happens if a takeover bid is successful? What happens to my flights,will Air Canada  honour them?

Do I  need a plan B?

Regards 

Airline mergers or buyouts don't happen overnight. Let's say Air Canada decided to (and was approved to) buyout Air Transat tonight - there's almost no chance things would change tomorrow. It would be a long road of combining fleets, crews, routes, etc.

A recent example is Alaska and Virgin America - the merger was announced in December 2016, but Virgin America ran as a separate carrier until April 2018 (I believe...something around that). That's almost a year and a half, meaning Virgin America schedules were being released even after the merger ball had started rolling. So, while each merger/acquisition will inevitably be different, odds are even if you purchased a ticket on Air Transat as far out as possible, and a merger was announced the next day, it likely wouldn't be complete until after your flight. In the mean time, things may change, but you would still have the same rules protecting you as you do right now.

You don’t mention the dates of your travel but even if they are next summer I agree with Zach.  Any change wouldn’t happen overnight and they would still have flights operating.   As a further note, it was in the news today that the government is concerned about Air Canada increasing its monopoly and will most likely delay any approval for at least 150 days.

Yikes....

"Should the worst happens"

I thought that this, under "air travel" was going to involve a crash situation!

😱

GC

We travel on Transat quite often.  We do not expect our flights to be impacted in any way.

This deal is not a sure thing yet.  We hope that it falls through.  We prefer Transat to AC.  Their open jaw flight to European hubs are well priced.  Good equipment and good fares.

Next week we start Toronto to Athens with a return from London to Calgary.  AC and others were $1150 CAD at time of  booking.  Transat was $735 CAD.  Same for the past several years.  We fear that if AC does complete the deal prices will increase and service will be poorer.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:23 PM, ohnonotmeagain said:

A while ago I posted a topic on Air  Transat  and was informed that were in talks with Air Canada ?takeover bid.

Well I've booked and paid for those flights........

But it got me wondering what happens if a takeover bid is successful? What happens to my flights,will Air Canada  honour them?

Do I  need a plan B?

Regards 

You don't need a Plan B.   

Air Canada has said it plans to continue to operate Air Transat as a separate business unit with its own aircraft and routes.  Even if it did merge it into Air Canada, you have a flight you have already purchased.  Air Canada will honor the flight.  That is what has happen in every other merger.   

Any time Air Canada has decided to shutdown a route, they have re-booked everyone onto other flights at no cost.  

Where people have problems is when the airline goes bankrupt and disappears.  That is not happening in this case.