Oosterdam Question

Marylis

Hi - We have never sailed Holland America for more than 1 night but have booked a December cruise on the Oosterdam. We watched this YouTube review and 2 things concerned me. 1. The reviewer said that there is constant air from a ceiling vent pouring into the room and 2. She complained of a squealing sound coming from something loose in the closet I think. If you watch the video you'll see what I am talking about. Have other people experienced annoying noises in their Oosterdam stateroom?

And have any of you had issues with the ceiling vent? Thank you so much in advance.

Lis

https://youtu.be/YRCQpBxd6mA

We sailed on the Oosterdam in Feb. and did not notice any noises in our Neptune Suite. Never heard anyone say anything about noises in their cabins either. Our suite had a thermostat so we could control the temperature. Not sure if all Oosterdam cabins have them. I wonder why the person with the issue didn't contact maintenance about the air flow?

Hi Lis.  (The link you posted for YouTube above doesn't work). I spent two weeks on her in February 2018 and had no noise or air/temperature issues in my cabin.

I'll be on her from November 30, 2019 through December 14, 2019.  Will you be on at the same time?

Have a great cruise! 

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info

Was on the Oosterdam in November and again in April.

Ship was in great shape with some of the beat food we've had on a cruise ship. No problems with noise from the air vent. The clinging you hear in the closet are the hangers, as someone mentioned, either remove them or put clothes on either side of the empty hangers.

Edited by MISTER 67

On 8/28/2019 at 2:34 PM, Marylis said:

Nancy - Yes, we will be boarding in San Diego on December 7th! I will try to find you!

Lis

Hey Lis and Nancy!! My husband and I will be on this cruise starting December 7th also. We'll be traveling with my brother and sister in law! 

I've visited the roll call and there isn't much happening yet.  Do you know of any get togethers?

Can't wait for December!

Maria and Norm Wahl

Buffalo, NY

Sailed Oosterdam 12/2018 and didn't notice any extreme breeze from the ceiling.  Also hangers can be in short supply, so if you have extra let the cabin steward know and they may very well be of value to another pax.

That was our first time on HAL and we liked it so much we just booked another HAL sail! 

Weird noise in the video may be partly because they left the balcony door open and that can generate weird air flow in the cabin (and is very hard on the HVAC system and a "no no" to do).

Edited by jb008

All HAL ships have an air-conditioning/heating system that has a continuous air flow from the ceiling vent.   The setting of the thermostat on the wall will determine if that air flow is cool or warm.   There is no "Fan Off" switch like you have at home.   That constant flow keeps fresh air circulating through your cabin.   It's up to you if that circulating air is warm or cool.   And do NOT prop your cabin balcony or Lanai door open for some fresh sea air.   That will allow the humid sea air to be sucked into the cabin ventilation system and it will wipe out the cooling for many cabins in your area who are on the same system.    

My friends and I sailed on Oosterdam in April 2019.  We had two ocean view cabins, side-by-side, but not connecting.  We noticed no problem with the air.  In my cabin we set it to warmer in the day time and cooler at night.  My other friends liked their cabin almost freezing all the time.  Neither of us had problems adjusting to our preferred temperatures, and both cabins were comfortable for those passengers staying in them.

The noise issues from the closet is simply common sense.  If there are empty hangers placed together, they will rattle as the ship moves.  To avoid it, take a length of string and bind the hangers together or place hangers with clothing on them between empty hangers.  Personally, with four women traveling together, we had no empty hangers to worry about.

Have a lovely time on Oosterdam.  We enjoyed this ship very much.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:35 PM, 3judewalls said:

Hey Lis and Nancy!! My husband and I will be on this cruise starting December 7th also. We'll be traveling with my brother and sister in law! 

I've visited the roll call and there isn't much happening yet.  Do you know of any get togethers?

Can't wait for December!

Maria and Norm Wahl

Buffalo, NY

Hi Maria and Norm - I'm glad you'll be on the cruise too.  I don't know of any get togethers. I visited the roll call too, and yeah, not much action. :)