Cruise Critic Community
Aus Traveller

Cancel a cruise booked with Future Cruise Deposit

Regrettably we might be cancelling a Princess cruise we have booked using our Future Cruise Deposit. I have read that Princess now regards the FCD like cash so therefore it is 'lost' if the cruise is cancelled. But what happens if the cruise is cancelled more than six months ahead of time? In that case, if we had paid a cash deposit, that amount would be refunded. What happens when we have used a FCD?

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Regrettably we might be cancelling a Princess cruise we have booked using our Future Cruise Deposit. I have read that Princess now regards the FCD like cash so therefore it is 'lost' if the cruise is cancelled. But what happens if the cruise is cancelled more than six months ahead of time? In that case, if we had paid a cash deposit, that amount would be refunded. What happens when we have used a FCD?

If the booking is listed as one with refundable deposit, then the FCD will be redeposited into your account.

If the booking is listed with non-refundable deposit, then the FCD is lost although sometimes if you switch the booking to a different cruise they will let the FCD switch with it.

Thanks for your prompt reply. At this time, I can see we will book another cruise, but we don't know which cruise. The one we will probably cancel, is 11 months away. I don't think it would have a non-refundable deposit because it wasn't booked on a 'deal'. I asked the TA about the FCD, but so far I don't have an answer on that. I will follow them up.

Thanks once again. When I saw that you had replied I called my husband in and said that there was a reply from a very experienced cruiser 🙂.

I just noticed that you are in Australia. What I said above applies in the USA and Canada. I do not know if the rules are the same in Australia.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, caribill said:

I just noticed that you are in Australia. What I said above applies in the USA and Canada. I do not know if the rules are the same in Australia.

I will follow it through. Thanks anyway. Maybe I should phone Princess tomorrow to find out their policy. (Yes - I know the old story. phone three times and get three different answers!) If I find out from Princess, I can tell the TA. So far, I have spoken to the booking department - they had no idea. The cancellations dept emailed me, but made no mention of the Princess FCD.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Princess have confirmed that our $100 pp FCD will be re-deposited into our Captain's Circle account because the cancellation is beyond the date where penalties apply.

Our TA has been very helpful. I didn't want to cancel this trip, but we have come out of it with minimal financial loss.

I find that the FCD gets re-deposited into my account immediately after cancelling the cruise. I remember being on hold for about 30 mins for my big box TA to cancel my March cruise on the Royal as Princess extended their schedule and I saw that the same cruise was operating over this Thanksgiving. I explained the reason for cancelling and that I would rebook when the FCD showed up in my account, so I hung up. I then checked my Captain’s Circle account and it was already there! I should have done that before hanging up as I endured another 30 mins on hold to book the Thanksgiving Cruise.

4 hours ago, polmcs said:

I find that the FCD gets re-deposited into my account immediately after cancelling the cruise. I remember being on hold for about 30 mins for my big box TA to cancel my March cruise on the Royal as Princess extended their schedule and I saw that the same cruise was operating over this Thanksgiving. I explained the reason for cancelling and that I would rebook when the FCD showed up in my account, so I hung up. I then checked my Captain’s Circle account and it was already there! I should have done that before hanging up as I endured another 30 mins on hold to book the Thanksgiving Cruise.

I see that Princess has cancelled this particular cruise from the ones we have booked, but I can't see how to check if the FCD is in my account. Can you explain how I can do that?

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess have confirmed that our $100 pp FCD will be re-deposited into our Captain's Circle account because the cancellation is beyond the date where penalties apply.

Thanks for the info it’s good to know.

Tony

On checking my Captain's Circle account, I see that the $100 future cruise deposit amount has been refunded. It is now credited to my account. Great. 🙂 Presumably my husband's account will be credited with his $100.

When we booked a cruise with our Future Cruise Letter, our Travel Agent checked with Princess to confirm it is refundable, got it back in writing from our travel agent if booked more than 181 days no issue with getting future cruise letter refunded.  You should not have a problem, good luck.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:00 AM, caribill said:

If the booking is listed as one with refundable deposit, then the FCD will be redeposited into your account.

If the booking is listed with non-refundable deposit, then the FCD is lost although sometimes if you switch the booking to a different cruise they will let the FCD switch with it.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:34 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Our TA has been very helpful. I didn't want to cancel this trip, but we have come out of it with minimal financial loss.

Just a note of warning.

It has been my experience that every time I cancel a cruise booked with an FCD Princess refunds the money to our credit card.

I've cancelled the cruise ON THE PHONE with Princess reps and requested (and received verbal confirmation!) that I wanted the FCD to just be put back in our account but have never had that happen.

I hope you have a different experience.

10 hours ago, chamima said:

Just a note of warning.

It has been my experience that every time I cancel a cruise booked with an FCD Princess refunds the money to our credit card.

I've cancelled the cruise ON THE PHONE with Princess reps and requested (and received verbal confirmation!) that I wanted the FCD to just be put back in our account but have never had that happen.

I hope you have a different experience.

Thanks for your comment. Our FCD shows now on our Princess account.🙂