4 consecutive segments; how many lifeboat drills?

Dr.Dobro

We are booked on four consecutive segments on the Westerdam starting March 2020. Three of the segments end in a Yokohama turnaround day. Times in port vary from 11 to 13.5 hours. We would like to take one of those days for a full day in Tokyo, but if we have to be back for a lifeboat drill at 4 p.m., it limits our options.

Here are the dates:
March 14, embark Hong Kong, do lifeboat drill
March 28, Yokohama, in port 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
April 11, Yokohama, in port 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
April 25, Yokohama, in port 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
May 11, disembark Vancouver

On which of the Yokohama dates will be required to attend a lifeboat drill?  Our preference to skip the drill would be April 11 or 25, since those are the longest days.

I did call Seattle, and the rep said that in 10 years she has never been asked this question. She tried calling Ship Services but there would be a 30-minute wait on hold. She gave me an e-mail address for S.S., and I am writing. But I thought someone here would have knowledge to share in the meantime.

Thanks!

Yes usually it’s every 30 days. HAL has a very quick and easy lifeboat drill. No life vests only attend your assigned station and tap in. Watch a demonstration and a short lecture. 15 minutes all done. Lifeboat drills where required are mandatory before the ship can sail. 

Folks need to understand that the drills for the crew are quite different than the drills for passengers.

Passenger drills are to inform the passenger what to do and where to go in case of an emergency. Crew drills are far more intense and specific and detailed as the crew must get the passengers off the ship safely.

Passenger lifeboat drill is to be performed by the crew and for every passenger on each departure. Just like you get the safety information from the flight crew when you fly.....regardless of how many legs you fly to get to your destination.

27 minutes ago, epanchenko said:

I remember reading other posts saying there is a makeup drill if you miss the one prior to sailing?  Don't know if they have them on Westerdam.

If you miss the drill, they definitely will require a make up. Why do you expect you might miss the drill?

I’m interested as well, our next cruise will have 3 segments - well, actually 4 if you count embarkation in Seattle.  So Seattle Sep. 23, Vancouver Sep 24, San Diego Sep. 30, , and Lima Oct. 14.  How many lifeboat drills is an excellent question, since many folks will be on tours on the days there are late departures.

Got a quick response from Ship Services (below). In-transit passengers can do a make-up drill. Very reasonable.

>>>> "You would be required to attend the safety drill at each turn around port before the ship departs the pier, even though you are technically in transit.  If you are not onboard when the drill takes place you would be required to attend a make-up drill prior to departure.  Typically drills take place 90 minutes prior to departure, so you would be able to enjoy your time in Tokyo.  Once onboard the ship will be able to advise you of the times of the drills and any make ups that you would be required to attend…as well as the time that you would be required to be back onboard." <<<<

Just to be clear, I do understand the drills are quick and I don't mind them. My experience has been that they are held around 4 p.m., and we would like to stay in Tokyo a bit later than that.  Thanks for the responses.

4 hours ago, Dr.Dobro said:

We are booked on four consecutive segments on the Westerdam starting March 2020.

Here are the dates:
March 14, embark Hong Kong, do lifeboat drill
March 28, Yokohama, in port 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
April 11, Yokohama, in port 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
April 25, Yokohama, in port 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
May 11, disembark Vancouver

Hi Dr. Dobro!  DH and I are on the final portion of your cruise from Yokohama to Vancouver.  I notice that you say May 11th is debarkation day, but it is actually on May 10th, according to my confirmation email.  I just wanted to chime in just in case this is NOT a typo.  The worst that could happen for you is you'd have to catch your flight from Vancouver a day later.

Cheers!

The muster drills are usually quick and painless.  But we always seem to be assigned to a lifeboat station where there are a few stragglers who insist on getting that last cocktail when the 3rd level alarm is sounded.   They try to take it with them, but they get stopped, so everybody has to wait while they chug a drink and wander out to the lifeboat station with 100 + people glaring at them.  

4 hours ago, Taters said:

I notice that you say May 11th is debarkation day, but it is actually on May 10th

You are correct. I calculated 16 days from the start of the segment, but did not take the time warp of the International Date Line into account. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr.Dobro said:

I do understand the drills are quick and I don't mind them. My experience has been that they are held around 4 p.m., and we would like to stay in Tokyo a bit later than that.  

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I am quite sure IF they require a muster drill for each port (shipboard services really doesn’t know what the captain will want) then you will be able to do a make up.

You’re “in transit” and not embarking so just check when you are on board.  And enjoy Japan. 😄 

We have done a continuation cruise which had people embarking and disembarking 3 times during the 39 day cruise in 2016 and this year we did a B2B of 40 days which also had 3 different embarking and disembarking.  One drill both times on our first embarkation day.  We even received notices that we did not have to attend the other drills but we made sure to stay in our cabins to avoid the crowds since all those days we had to be back on the ship early.  Different ships and different captains.  

Utahtea

14 hours ago, epanchenko said:

The OP wants to skip the drill to spend more time on land.  I imagine they would allow a makeup. 

utahtea just said it. The drills are scheduled after everybody has to be on board. There is no make-up drill for people who miss the ship. 

7 hours ago, Floridiana said:

utahtea just said it. The drills are scheduled after everybody has to be on board. There is no make-up drill for people who miss the ship. 

To be fair, we didn't have any late departures on days there would be a drill and all the drills I've been to have been around 4 - 4:30 when we have 5 pm departure times. Original poster has posted that there will have late departures.  My question is do they have the drills after everyone is on board or is it always at a set time in the day.