Cruise Critic Community
richbum

Games to teach

HI there...We are going on a family cruise Jan 2021...and my granddaughter would like to lean about the ports before we go. She is 7. Does anyone know of any games or ways to teach a child abut the ports?

Thanks in advance...

I don't know about cruise/port specific. There are a lot of different geography type games. A google or Amazon search will bring them up. You could then choose the region within the game...

Posted (edited)

Also don't be afraid to do a Google search and dial it down by clicking the "video" button.

What cruise/where are you going?

Edited by Mike981

It all depends of course on the ports of call. For European cities I'm a big fan of the "Big City Adventure" series - seriously, it helped me a lot when planning a trip to Barcelona.

For Europe I would watch Rick Steves there are dozens of them covering most European ports.

Howdy richbum! emo22.gif

You might want to also post your question on the Family Cruises forum. That is a good place for suggestions/advice when cruising with children. emo34.gif 

Kat 🐱

Hi

You could have her do the research on "excursions" you could do as a family. One port at a time. You aren't leaving very soon, so it could be done slowly over the months. 

You could ask her to find out about, languages spoken, national sports, even popular foods. Throw in the possibility researching a restaurant to visit. Make it fun but also a challenge. Of course, if you ask her to do the work, then you will need to be open to some of her suggestions of what to do.

have a great cruise 

Even something as simple as going port-to-port by zooming in and out on Google Earth would be fun and educational for a 7 year old.  And, your 7 year old granddaughter is likely to know a lot more about how to use Google Earth than any of us!!  LOL.    

On 8/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, Mike981 said:

Also don't be afraid to do a Google search and dial it down by clicking the "video" button.

What cruise/where are you going?

We are on the Carnival Magic going to Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, and St Martin...

On 9/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, richbum said:

We are on the Carnival Magic going to Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, and St Martin...

I love San Juan! The forts are full of history. Heck, the whole island is full of history.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:41 PM, George C said:

For Europe I would watch Rick Steves there are dozens of them covering most European ports.

I hope you didn't watch the one where he was driving in the UK, and broke various traffic laws in 5 minutes!

I know he is highly rated by US travellers, but he is viewed with derision by most Europeans.