Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kittentanz

Oasis Cancelled Cruise Credit NOT FAIR!!

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Is FCC ever treated like cash by RCCL? From what I've read it appears it's issued when something goes "amiss". They issue it instead of cash, I'm assuming for a number of accounting reasons. I apologize if I'm sounding dense...maybe I need caffeine. Is my sheet below an accurate depiction?

 

 

Example.PNG

It seems to me it comes out as a "wash."  Guest #1 adding his original FCC to the apology FCC = 2000 FCC.  That's the same that Guest #2 gets.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm wanting to take your side @kittentanz but I'm having trouble getting there. I am trying to compare it to another industry.

 

For example, I have a 50% off coupon at Chipotle through their rewards program. I order a $10 burrito and only pay $5. However, before I can eat, I am flagged down and told I can't eat because the lettuce is bad. However, Chipotle will refund my $5, and re-issue my coupon, and give me another $5 for my trouble. 

 

If I follow your logic, I am now mad the additional $5 is not the $10 I would have spent out of pocket for the initial burrito? When I put it in those terms, I just can't get there. It's possible I'm missing something.

 

I read it like this.

 

There are two of you in line at the Chipotle and you use a 50% off coupon and the other customer paid cash. Then the manager says that the food is bad and will refund your cost PLUS give you a free burrito tomorrow.

 

The customer who paid $10 cash got their $10 back plus a $10 voucher for tomorrow. You got your 50% coupon back plus your $5, but since you only used $5 cash today, the manager only gave you a $5 voucher for  tomorrow.

 

You both paid the equivalent of $10, and you both got your initial payment back in-kind. It's as if you never bought the burrito. Tomorrow, the two of you are back in line, but the other customer keeps yesterday's $10 and pays for the "good will" burrito with the $10 voucher. You, however, only get to pay with the  $5 voucher, and you still have to use your 50% coupon to cover the remaining $5.

 

The cash customer is out nothing, but you are out your 50% coupon for the same "good will" burrito.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

It seems to me it comes out as a "wash."  Guest #1 adding his original FCC to the apology FCC = 2000 FCC.  That's the same that Guest #2 gets.  🍷

But I used existing "cash"  that are represented as credits..  If I had used cash I would be up 1000.00 credits because I did not use cash I have 1000.00 credits less..  I had the 1000.00 in the beginning  the cash user had 0 at the beginning. At the end I have 1000.00 credits but the cash user has 2000.00  Why does he get more?

Edited by kittentanz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JupiterTwo said:

 

I read it like this.

 

There are two of you in line at the Chipotle and you use a 50% off coupon and the other customer paid cash. Then the manager says that the food is bad and will refund your cost PLUS give you a free burrito tomorrow.

 

The customer who paid $10 cash got their $10 back plus a $10 voucher for tomorrow. You got your 50% coupon back plus your $5, but since you only used $5 cash today, the manager only gave you a $5 voucher for  tomorrow.

 

You both paid the equivalent of $10, and you both got your initial payment back in-kind. It's as if you never bought the burrito. Tomorrow, the two of you are back in line, but the other customer keeps yesterday's $10 and pays for the "good will" burrito with the $10 voucher. You, however, only get to pay with the  $5 voucher, and you still have to use your 50% coupon to cover the remaining $5.

 

The cash customer is out nothing, but you are out your 50% coupon for the same "good will" burrito.

 

Steve

Correct!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And let us remember the coupon was for "Loyal Chipotle customers" so loyalty certainly does not pay in this example.😃.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly OT: I'm not sure how these future cruise credit vouchers work, but I think they have expiration dates (one year?).

 

If you used the voucher on a cruise that is 11 months away and then Royal cancels the cruise one month before sailing and refunds the voucher, they don't reset the clock on it, right? You're now stuck with a voucher with only two months of life left on it and no cruise to spend it on?

 

Or do they reset the expiration date based on the date of cancellation of the cruise?

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is FCC ever treated as Cash? Does anyone have the letter/e-mail to passengers from RCCL regarding the compensation for the Oasis? If it says 100% of the fare then I agree with OP. However, if it says 100% of the fair paid or something like that you might have a battle. Your FCC is bucket is now greater (your original returned + the additional) than it was before your planned oasis cruise and your "cash" account was made whole.

 

Maybe I'm a wimp or lazy but I'd be happy with that. If you have the time and inclination to escalate it, Godspeed. I'll be interested to hear any responses from RCCL.

Edited by JennyB1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Is FCC ever treated as Cash? Does anyone have the letter/e-mail to passengers from RCCL regarding the compensation for the Oasis? If it says 100% of the fare then I agree with OP. However, if it says 100% of the fair paid or something like that you might have a battle. Your FCC is bucket is now greater (your original returned + the additional) than it was before your planned oasis cruise and your "cash" account was made whole.

 

I never had a FCC so I can't say how I'd feel, but I suppose if you're giving out a "good will" cruise to make up for the inconvenience for a last minute cancellation of someone's vacation (time off from work, air travel, etc.), then why isn't it based on the price the customer paid for the stateroom, and not just the cash portion the customer forked over?

 

The casual customer gets a free "good will" cruise, the loyal customer has to partially pay for the "good will" cruise. One would think the loyal customer would get the same free "good will" cruise and still use the loyal reward for some other cruise later.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Is FCC ever treated as Cash? Does anyone have the letter/e-mail to passengers from RCCL regarding the compensation for the Oasis? If it says 100% of the fare then I agree with OP. However, if it says 100% of the fair paid or something like that you might have a battle. Your FCC is bucket is now greater (your original returned + the additional) than it was before your planned oasis cruise and your "cash" account was made whole.

 

Maybe I'm a wimp or lazy but I'd be happy with that. If you have the time and inclination to escalate it, Godspeed. I'll be interested to hear any responses from RCCL.

I understand and concur.. but, as a loyal customer that took RCL's offer of credits instead of cash.. I should not be treated as second class when I use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was on the Oasis TA that was cancelled when the crane thing happened.  I had also used an FCC towards that cruise.

 

The original FCC was re-issued and I received a full refund for all my credit card payments.  In that sense I was whole on my all payments.

 

My 100% FCC was calculated at 100% of the cruise fare.  Cruise fare does not include port fees and taxes.  FCC is never awarded for the value of ports fees and taxes.  So make sure you deduct that from your total cruise cost to calculate your expected FCC.

 

in the end my total FCC was as they stated, 100% of the base cruise before taxes and port fees.  

 

Figuring out the base cruise fare can be complicated especially if you booked through a travel agent who used group space. In that case the base cruise fare is often lower but then agency commision is added to it as part of what you pay for the cruise.  When it comes time to get FCC awarded though, they deduct the agency commision so your FCC appears lower than if you had booked it direct, but in that case the cruise cost less so it's hard to complain about it.  If you didn't book through an agency this is a moot point.  

 

In my case I did book through a travel agent (but not using group space) and she had to deal with it all.  It took a lot of time and effort but she went after it like a dog with a bone.  Hearing what she went through I was very glad I had used a travel agent for that booking.  

 

FCC is like lightning.  It never seems to work the same way twice.    Royal doesn't make it easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m to be on the Mariner Friday, free from the casino. If they cancel it, do I get to choose another weekend for free?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I applied FCCs against our upcoming cruise, they do not appear on our invoice as a payment.  They reduced the fare of the cruise by the FCC amount.  Down the road if looking at the cost of my cruise it looks like we paid less than we did (but not really because the FCC was never our out of pocket money and it would have expired at the end of this year anyway).  I can understand why the OP feels slighted but can understand why Royal feels they were compensated fairly because they are very much applied like a coupon off the fare and not as payment.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.52.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.55.51 PM.png

Edited by RG306
images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my understanding FCC is treated as a discount on a cruise, not payment, which is why this situtation comes up.  I agree that it isn't fair in situations like this, but I do not know if you can get them to change it.  I hope you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

I’m to be on the Mariner Friday, free from the casino. If they cancel it, do I get to choose another weekend for free?  

 

 

We were on the Oadis Noro cruise on our annual Prime reward, and the casino gave us another certificate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RG306 said:

I applied FCCs against our upcoming cruise, they do not appear on our invoice as a payment.  They reduced the fare of the cruise by the FCC amount.  Down the road if looking at the cost of my cruise it looks like we paid less than we did (but not really because the FCC was never our out of pocket money and it would have expired at the end of this year anyway).  

 

That seems to me like the case with insurance when it's either actual loss or replacement cost.

 

A free cruise to make up for the canceled one is replacement cost. Deducting coupons and paying the net is actual loss.

 

It's not a perfect analogy because nobody loses their original payments, but the good will make-good is better if one paid entirely in cash with an actual loss method of valuation.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kittentanz said:

I understand and concur.. but, as a loyal customer that took RCL's offer of credits instead of cash.. I should not be treated as second class when I use them.

Why did you take credits instead of cash? Usually they give cruise credits as compensation, not in lieu of cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kittentanz said:

Exactly,    "You lost nothing. You just didn't get back as much as a cash customer. You are still ahead"  Yes!  I am ahead, just not as ahead as if I used cash..  So, be aware that If you accept Cruise Credits in place of a cash refund RCL will not treat them as cash substitutes. You are receiving something to them that is worth less than cash,  not to be compensated for.

 

It irks me that a cash customer gets the free cruise and we as long time cruisers don't.  I will make sure in the future not to accept future cruise credits, or demand more than their cash value for them if I accept them in place of Cash compensation.  They are not equal in RCL's eyes.  They wont be now in mine either.

I understand most of what your saying but what does being a long time cruiser have to do with your situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I understand most of what your saying but what does being a long time cruiser have to do with your situation?

 

The future cruise credits used in the first place were a loyalty reward for being a long-time cruiser. If he hadn't redeemed the offer, he'd have gotten his money back plus a fully paid for cruise.

 

Because he used the credits, the make-good "free" cruise fare was reduced by the amount of the coupon, which he will have to make up on his own. People who didn't have loyalty rewards got a totally paid for cruise.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

 

The future cruise credits used in the first place were a loyalty reward for being a long-time cruiser. If he hadn't redeemed the offer, he'd have gotten his money back plus a fully paid for cruise.

 

Because he used the credits, the make-good "free" cruise fare was reduced by the amount of the coupon, which he will have to make up on his own. People who didn't have loyalty rewards got a totally paid for cruise.

 

Steve

So, under this logic, can one trade a FCC for cash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

 

The future cruise credits used in the first place were a loyalty reward for being a long-time cruiser. If he hadn't redeemed the offer, he'd have gotten his money back plus a fully paid for cruise.

 

Because he used the credits, the make-good "free" cruise fare was reduced by the amount of the coupon, which he will have to make up on his own. People who didn't have loyalty rewards got a totally paid for cruise.

 

Steve

 

Future Cruise Credit is usually compensation offered by the cruise line for a problem that happened on a prior cruise.  It is not a loyalty reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

Future Cruise Credit is usually compensation offered by the cruise line for a problem that happened on a prior cruise.  It is not a loyalty reward.

 

The OP wasn't clear on the circumstances regarding how he got the credits. He said it was for loyalty. He'll have to explain, I just repeated was already said in the thread.

 

Even if it were for a past mishap, he'd now have to mishaps, yes? So, he shouldn't be forced to give up his first compensation to pay for the second mishap - he should now have two compensations for two mishaps, and any make-good for the second mishap.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So, under this logic, can one trade a FCC for cash?

 

No, the logic is that he should keep his first FCC to use again, and get the same compensation as someone who paid cash and got that back too, which was a wholly paid for future cruise.

 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...