Enough With the Coffee! Tell Us About the Fancy Cocktails!

Liz Masterson

On 8/28/2019 at 7:21 PM, Liz Masterson said:

I'm astonished by the number of posts about coffee!

Let's switch things up.

I like to enjoy a fancy cocktail before or after dinner.  I don't mean a simple glass of wine or scotch, though I enjoy them as well, but something fancy.

For example this summer in Vancouver I had a delicious Earl Grey and Lavendar Martini! And when I'm in Ithaca I try to stop by the Moosewood Restaurant for a Grapefruit and Basil Martini... yum yum!

Surely Viking has something to tempt me?

Found this menu that be helpful. Not much of a “fancy drink” person. 

onboardbeveragemenu_oceans.pdf?source=12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I haven't deleted anything - don't know what that might have been.at the start of the di

We don't mind going down to dinner, and we try not to be seated for the start of dinner, and apart from maybe a glass of wine with a meal - that's us generally done and dusted.  So, having experienced dinner if there's nothing 'pressing' requiring our attention we sometimes have a quiet after dinner drink - a refreshing mocktail sort of affair, but quietly in the forward area on deck 7, and then quietly back to our accommodation.

Then a nice bright and early start to be ready once the formalities have been cleared, we can get out for a nice pre-planned run.  Clear head for run, then clear head for the remainder of the day and photography.  

Having done ample research (if needed) we don't really listen to the guides - there's more of interest to see than what guides point out to us.

However, a nice peaceful restful cruise is what we are after, and than involves not drinking overmuchly, and most definitely not hanging around noisy bar areas (sometimes it's bad enough in the restaurants).

On 8/29/2019 at 4:58 PM, Liz Masterson said:

No worries!  I don’t think I’ll do the SS package. I don’t expect to drink so much it would be worth it but that chocolate martini sounds yummy! It’s fun to try new things!

THANK YOU Everyone!

That should work just fine for you. The few times we have ordered something from one of the bars, the prices were very reasonable. I wish I could get a glass of wine in a local restaurant for Viking's bar price!

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 8:52 AM, deec said:

We have gotten the Silver Spirits package so that we can have the fun of "tasting" many of the cocktails that we would never have ordered!!!  If they have the ingredients and the recipe most of the bartenders are more than willing to fix whatever you want.  My husband loves ( his own concoction) the frozen lemonade (pool bar when it is in the machine) pimms, gin and a dash of bitters!!!

If time permits bartenders often will stuff olives with blue cheese for a great martini!!!    although not on the menu a French 75 is a great pre-dinner cocktail. A Rusty Nail (drambuie and scotch) is perfect to take into or order while watching the evening show!!  LOVE the Explorers' Bar and a late night chocolate martini....one favorite bartender even infused vodka with coffee for the chocolate espresso martini.  Alas, on our last cruise they did not stock Aberlour!   CHEERS to you Liz Masterson!

Parsley Cruiser not to worry I have never enjoyed all the suggestions on any one day and I assure you if I happen to get the first seat on a bus (highly unlikely because I would have been pushed aside by some obnoxious fellow passenger) we would FULLY enjoy the views and commentary by the guide!

I've never understood the combination of cheese and a martini???

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I've never understood the combination of cheese and a martini???

I think you really have to be a fan of a dirty martini to enjoy the blue-cheese stuffed olives. I am not, but my friends who enjoy 'dirties' really enjoy the stuffed olives. Although I know some who enjoy the stuffed olives in a regular martini or for simply nibbling during cocktail hour.

To each his own--I will let DH know he can request a stuffed olive!

VO really will try to accommodate everyone and make whatever it is you like.

7 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I think you really have to be a fan of a dirty martini to enjoy the blue-cheese stuffed olives. I am not, but my friends who enjoy 'dirties' really enjoy the stuffed olives. Although I know some who enjoy the stuffed olives in a regular martini or for simply nibbling during cocktail hour.

To each his own--I will let DH know he can request a stuffed olive!

VO really will try to accommodate everyone and make whatever it is you like.

I like olives but not dirty martinis.  My thing is a vodka martini or scotch on the rocks.

15 minutes ago, deec said:

You will find good scotch choices especially in Torshaven!

Dee, one of our new fave bartenders educated us yet again.  A new best nightcap for us is the Godfather.  Jack Daniel's and Amaretto on the rocks.  Night night...

• Like 1

mmmm...maybe worth a try instead of my Rusty Nail!   I wonder if river cruise bartenders can make it?.....on the Seine/Rhone this fall but not on the Sun until June!!!

Thanks for the good idea!

Beginning to be a bit worried that anyone who meets me on a future Viking cruise will have pre-labeled me a LUSH...not so :)!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I'm on Mediterranean Odyssey.  Any chance we can find limoncello on board?

Lemon Drop Martini is one of their signature drinks so you will have no trouble finding limoncello on board.

Are you going to Florence? Find limoncello filled chocolates at Migone Confetti, Via dei Calzaiuoli, 85R. Stand on the steps of the Duomo, face the Baptistry. The street to your left is Via dei Calzaiuoli and the store is two blocks down on the right side, a very old world candy store. DD says they are to die for and this is the store that she sent us to; she did a semester in Florence and lived just down the street.

• Like 1

I had the best negroni of my life in the Explorer’s Lounge on Sky. (Well, more than one, actually.) There was a particular bartender that made them; the other guys weren’t able to produce it. Aside from the extra orange peel and a bit of soda, I don’t know what he did differently. I got one most evenings when he was on duty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...