Jump to content

Flight changed-late embarkation-will I get on?


Recommended Posts

My airline just changed my flight to arrive in Fort Lauderdale an hour later at 1:50pm.  We are sailing on the Crown on 10/28, scheduled to depart at 4pm.  My understanding is that you have to be onboard 90 minutes before sailing, so this will be tight, if not impossible. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? I am really worried with Baggage claim, cab, etc that we will be late! My airline does not have any other flights that arrive earlier. ( And please no lectures about going a day early!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

My airline just changed my flight to arrive in Fort Lauderdale an hour later at 1:50pm.  We are sailing on the Crown on 10/28, scheduled to depart at 4pm.  My understanding is that you have to be onboard 90 minutes before sailing, so this will be tight, if not impossible. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? I am really worried with Baggage claim, cab, etc that we will be late! My airline does not have any other flights that arrive earlier. ( And please no lectures about going a day early!)

You are cutting it too close.

Yes CBP requires at least 90 minutes prior.

Any delay and you could be denied boarding and maybe miss the ship.

No lecture just reality.......I would suggest flying in the day before.

Usually when the airline changes the schedule you can cancel for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not lecture you.  However, your odds of making it are slim at best and if there are any delays at all, your odds drop to zero.  If you made the reservations independently, I would call the airline and discuss it w them immediately.  What time was your flight originally scheduled to land?  BTW, I sure hope that your flight is non-stop.

 

Granted that FLL is close to the cruise terminal but if you land on time, run off the airplane, your luggage comes out promptly and there is no wait for cabs, you will be very lucky to be out of the airport and on your way to the ship before 2:30 so figure that at 2:45 at the earliest.  You are supposed to be on board at 2:30.

 

One way to increase your odds of making the cruise from close to zero to a bit higher than zero is to do carry on and not check your luggage.

 

DON

Link to post
Share on other sites

The same thing happened to us a few years ago.  I called the airline and explained the situation.  Because they had made the change they agreed to get us two seats on an earlier flight.  It is worth making the call.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, if the OP booked with EZ-Air, 2pm is the default cut-off for arrival and the OP is under that by 10 minutes.  In this case, I would think Princess would protect the passengers on that plane.  

 

That said, I would contact the airline and/or EZ-Air and request an alternate booking.  It is my experience when an airline makes a "significant" schedule change, that the passenger gets one free booking change to an alternate time.  The OP did not mention how much of a change it was, but if as much as 30 minutes then for sure there is a case.  It could be that different airlines have different thresholds, but I would explain to customer service that you are meeting a ship departure and that is too close for comfort.  Princess seems to think that planes arriving at 2pm at FLL can result in passengers on board before 4pm.  3:30pm actually as that is the all-aboard with muster hot on the heels, right? 

 

PS - I really doubt that the actual time cut-off to check-in is 90 minutes.  Otherwise, why would Princess allow same-day flight arrivals up to 2pm when the ship departure is listed as 4pm?  We all know they cannot all leave PE at once, but you never know when your ship is going to depart. 

 

For all I know, Princess may have rep(s) meeting late flights and help heard the passengers???  Maybe they are radio the terminal to let them know so-and-so have arrived??? 

 

BTW, we arrive in port the day prior for PE.  Just takes away any stress or worry.  One time we left home to get a flight the day before in winter (2000).  It was an early morning flight.  I won't tell the whole story, but we did not make it to FLL until the next morning (departure day).  And I had to work my charm to get us out of a more northern airport to CLT where weather would not be a concern for the next day's flight.  NO, it did not make me arrive TWO days prior going forward, but I either fly NS or would connect in a southern airport like ATL or CLT.

 

Edited by steelers36
Link to post
Share on other sites

My flight was cancelled and the airlines put me on a later flight that only gave 30 minutes to get to my connecting flight. I explained to the airline that I was uncomfortable with this and they rebook me to a different airport (I requested) at no cost.

Edited by Rusty10
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

My airline just changed my flight to arrive in Fort Lauderdale an hour later at 1:50pm.  We are sailing on the Crown on 10/28, scheduled to depart at 4pm.  My understanding is that you have to be onboard 90 minutes before sailing, so this will be tight, if not impossible. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? I am really worried with Baggage claim, cab, etc that we will be late! My airline does not have any other flights that arrive earlier. ( And please no lectures about going a day early!)

My only experience with an airline flight svhedule change:  I found an alternate flight on a different carrier, booked it, told original carrier that I could not accept the change, cancelled that flight and got full refund because of the significant schedule change. 

 

Are you flying out of MKE and connecting in ORD?  What airline?

 

There are a ton of possibilities if you look at it creatively ... Amtrak or Coach USA bus to ORD plus any number of flights to MIA and a lesser number to FLL.

 

If your carrier has nothing better or earlier, you may need to look elsewhere.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

If your carrier has nothing better or earlier, you may need to look elsewhere.

 

Although the OP can get a refund from the airline that made this unacceptable schedule change, buying airfare on a different airline might be at a significantly higher price.

 

OP does need to contact the airline that changed the schedule to see what other same day alternative might be possible with different routing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jokare said:

No lectures here, but since the airline made the change and its the only flight I'd have them move you to the day before.  Yup you'll pay for a room but at least you'll make it.

And you will have a lot less stress from now till cruise day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, caribill said:

Although the OP can get a refund from the airline that made this unacceptable schedule change, buying airfare on a different airline might be at a significantly higher price.

 

OP does need to contact the airline that changed the schedule to see what other same day alternative might be possible with different routing.

I get that the airline ought first to search their own schedule for more acceptable flights ... which may not exist.  But that doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't be thinking of other options.  And even if the OP needs to spends lots more for air, it's gotta be cheaper than having to catch the ship at other than the original port of embarkation.

 

Further, lift from GRB, ATW, MTW or MKE is limited.  Virtually all being connections, likely thru ORD. 

 

With connecting flights, even without the airline flight change, no one here can assure the OP that everything will be fine ... stuff happens, and the OP needs to be ready for that.  What is her Plan B or C? 

Edited by pms4104
Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact Princess and arrange transportation through them.  That's the best thing you can do if you're unable to fly in the previous day or get an earlier flight.  By getting transportation through Princess you're letting them know you'll be cutting it close and they should allow a later time to board.  Plus you won't need to wait in line for a cab.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Actually, if the OP booked with EZ-Air, 2pm is the default cut-off for arrival and the OP is under that by 10 minutes.  In this case, I would think Princess would protect the passengers on that plane.  

 

I don't know what you mean by "protect". If you mean wait for the plane, no guarantees if the flight is late. They will get them to the next port, if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

EZ Air? Call Princess. They will book you on another flight if the timing is outside their guidelines.

I think the cruise line has to file the passenger manifest 60 minutes before sailing. 

Taxi time from the airport to the pier is about 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic.

 

Here is another idea.  Princess did have a luggage valet service that picked up luggage at your home, I think a week in advance, and then delivered it directly to your cabin. I don't know if it is still offered. You may want to check it out. I think there are also private companies that provide this service. A little expensive, but in your case it may be worth it. Then you can fly with just carry ons and be at the pier 30/40 minutes after landing.

Edited by skynight
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Coral said:

I don't know what you mean by "protect". If you mean wait for the plane, no guarantees if the flight is late. They will get them to the next port, if possible.

Sometimes it may depend on the time they need to get to next port and the number of passengers involved.  I recall one time when Princess was still sailing out of San Juan that we waited well past the already late 11pm departure for a late plane.  Often various reasons keep the ship later than 4pm and they still arrive at Princess Cay in the morning.  By "protect", I meant get them to the ship either then or next port.  

Edited by steelers36
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Sometimes it may depend on the time they need to get to next port and the number of passengers involved.  I recall one time when Princess was still sailing out of San Juan that we waited well past the already late 11pm departure for a late plane.  Often various reasons keep the ship later than 4pm and they still arrive at Princess Cay in the morning.  By "protect", I meant get them to the ship either then or next port.  

Got it. 

 

Some people think because they booked through the cruise line the ship will wait for them regardless and that is not true. I have read this multiple times on this board and even heard TAs tell people that. There are too many factors involved with the ship's decision on when they can stay or leave after departure time.

 

And in some ports, getting them to the next port may not be possible or may lose most of the trip. Transatlantics from FL is an example. Also, it is illegal for ships leaving out of Vancouver to Alaska as they miss the foreign port.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what's the first port you will fly into after you miss embarkation?

Good question as IDK if they would be able to fly anyone to Eleuthera to connect up at Princess Cay in  time the next day or whether they would have to wait until arriving at a larger Caribbean island (in the case of PE departures in that area).

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

Got it. 

 

Some people think because they booked through the cruise line the ship will wait for them regardless and that is not true. I have read this multiple times on this board and even heard TAs tell people that. There are too many factors involved with the ship's decision on when they can stay or leave after departure time.

 

And in some ports, getting them to the next port may not be possible or may lose most of the trip. Transatlantics from FL is an example. Also, it is illegal for ships leaving out of Vancouver to Alaska as they miss the foreign port.

Oh I agree with you.  A ship isn't necessarily going to wait.  I was surprised on our trip around S.A. in 2018 that Captain Tuvo waited for a couple who were on Copacabana Beach and had blissfully forgot it was Day 3 in Rio and time to go.  Not sure what that couple had to pay or what happened, but it was clear when they were called that they had to run off the beach for a cab as they were not even on the way.  (A whole other matter than delayed transportation).

 

And you are right - some missed departures mean you may as well just go back home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Sometimes it may depend on the time they need to get to next port and the number of passengers involved.  I recall one time when Princess was still sailing out of San Juan that we waited well past the already late 11pm departure for a late plane.  Often various reasons keep the ship later than 4pm and they still arrive at Princess Cay in the morning.  By "protect", I meant get them to the ship either then or next port.  

I was on that cruise.  The reason for the delay was because a large number of passengers were on a single flight from the north central US.  It was a large enough group to hold things up for a little bit and it did not delay arrival at the next port.  Do not think they would do that for a small group of travellers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...