Cruise Critic Community
FirstTimeSolo407

Activities for solo travelers

Good morning,

I am contemplating taking my first solo cruise on Serenity for 7 days in Europe.  Does the ship offer any special activities for solo travelers such as meet and mingle cocktail parties, dining tables for solos, etc.?  My concern is being one of the few solo travelers on a ship full of couples.  Having never traveled solo before I never took note of the percentage of solos.

Thank you.

I have travelled solo many times on Symphony and Serenity and have always been able to have a very nice time.  Most people onboard are very friendly, couples or other solos.   On sea days, there is Trivia around 12pm that will afford the opportunity to sit with a small group (5-6) which will let you meet others. If you are a bingo player, this also occurs on sea days.

Prior to All Inclusive when alcohol was not included, they would have a singles cocktail party, but no longer.

As for dining, if you do not hook up with anyone else, if you go to Waterside (main dining room) you can ask the Maitre D' to sit you at a table for singles that may also have a couple as well. It would just be the luck of the draw as to the time you go to Waterside.

With regard to Prego and Umi Uma, when you first board the ship, go to speak to the Maitre D' of the specialty restaurants (usually located in Prego) and ask if there will be a singles table one night.

In summary, if you are not shy about conversing with others throughout the day, you will not be alone and you will have a very enjoyable cruise.

Marc

I always travel solo, and though I thoroughly enjoyed my first Crystal cruise this summer and have booked another for next year, I was disappointed that there was nothing to my knowledge specifically aimed at solos. Other cruise lines I sail make more of an effort like cocktail parties or lunches and invitations to join staff or lecturers at dinner.
That said, you will be so busy on a 7-day cruise, you may welcome a little "me" time. Busy or quiet, you will definitely enjoy your Crystal cruise.

Ambassador hosts are always available to share a table with solos.

You will not be one of just a few solo people among a ship full of couples!  Crystal has a larger-than-usual complement of solo passengers, sometimes up to 10%, and there are many small groups of 3 or 4 as well (usually family with adult children). 

That said, there isn't much specifically for solos -- there was a solo dining table (for 8 ) added at a proscribed time in Waterside once they switched away from traditional seating, but the one time I tried joining it, they had people at different stages of their meals, coming and going.  I never did it again, but maybe they've since tuned up the way they seat and serve there.   I've sailed once on Serenity solo, and multiple times on Symphony, and thoroughly loved all my voyages.

Personally, I have no interest in solo specific events, so I don't miss the lack of them.  I've found people generally relaxed and easy to chat to, and I also enjoy some solo time.   As a solo passenger, I wanted to be treated just like every other passenger, and that's exactly what they do.....solos aren't singled out as good or bad.

They still have the singles cocktail party; although perhaps not every sailing. I rarely go to it as it conflicts with dancing. Just keep an eye on Reflections for it. There is also a shared table (Table for 😎 at  the speciality restaurants at least once per segment; ask the special restaurant MD about it the first afternoon. It will also be announced in Reflections. In Waterside, the shared table(s) seems to work better for early diners than late diners.

I meet  people at dance class and dancing, team trivia, shore excursions, the sushi bar, even the laundry room. I don't meet anybody at bridge as I don't play bridge. You don't need your own bridge partner; you'll get paired up with other solo players; lots of couples don't play together it seems. I don't think there is any easier form of travel for solos than cruising.

Hi,

I have traveled Crystal 3 times as a solo passenger, and never felt alone.  There will be others who are single, many more who are with friends (both or all being "single"), and some who are with family, but are single.  So even though solo, it is easy to make friend, etc.  At dinner, I like to have a table to myself.  Often another couple or table sitting nearby will talk (even in the specialty restaurants), and sometimes someone or a small group that I met will meet up for dinner.

Regardless, you will not be alone and will find many people to talk to.

No worries about traveling solo!  I've done it on two world cruises.   Lots of good posts here.   If you are looking for dinner partners, simply go to the crystal Cove bar a half hour to hour before you wish to dine.  You can order a cocktail or non alcoholic beverage.   You can strike up a conversation there.