Cruise Critic Community
majortom10

Crown Princess food.

Returned today from Crown Princess and for those boarding, or any other person onboard a Princess cruise ship, beware of eating chicken. Thursday night wife ordered Southern Fried chicken for dinner in MDR. When it arrived it wasnt just under cooked but raw in the middle with blood oozing out. Spoke to waitress who agreed it was raw and bloody and fetched the Head Waiter all he asked is if we wanted another meal. Left restaurant spoke to Head Waiter/Restaurant Manager at the entrance to MDR he was very apologetic and took our cabin number and said he would pass on to relevant department and an investigation would be done and we would be contacted the next day. Went to reception and reported the incident that same evening and she wrote all details on computer and said it would be forwarded for urgent action. Next day heard nothing at all from nobody within the ship's senior management. Spoke to assistant maitre'd by phone from reception last night and he had no idea of incident and asked me for details. He said he would investigate and get back to me this morning before our disembarkation which he promised he would. Surprise, surprise he didn't so Princess obviously dont care about the risk serving under cooked ,raw, bloody chicken and risking Salmonella, which can kill to the people who cruise on their ships. Absolutely disgusted with Princess and their couldnt care less attitude.

I am sorry, but the question is so what?

Your wife was served undercooked chicken, recognized it, told waitstaff, they agreed and replaced the meal, I am assuming with apologies for the inconvenience. 

Why does it go any further than that? Every organization makes mistakes, nobody, not even NASA is perfect. Sounds like Princess acknowledged the problem and corrected it on the spot and the story should end there. 

Sure, I might have asked for a glass of wine to compensate me for my trouble, but after that, let it go. It was a mistake and no harm was done. 

As for your assertions that Princess doesn't care, they serve tens of thousands of meals per week, per ship, millions per year and their business is dependent on that service using good food safety practices. Across those millions of meals, there are bound to be mistakes, when they happen, an on the spot correction is made, an apology issued and life moves on.  However, given their profitability and loyal customer base, it does not appear that food poisoning their customers is a big, or even small, problem on Princess. 

Sure, they shouldn't have promised to contact you and not, but why did it ever elevate that far anyway?

Undercooked food identified, reported, acknowledged, food replaced, apology made, what time does the show start?

You were right in reporting it, but you may never hear the result. Princess will correct this. 

23 minutes ago, cougaraz said:

I am sorry, but the question is so what?

Your wife was served undercooked chicken, recognized it, told waitstaff, they agreed and replaced the meal, I am assuming with apologies for the inconvenience. 

Why does it go any further than that? Every organization makes mistakes, nobody, not even NASA is perfect. Sounds like Princess acknowledged the problem and corrected it on the spot and the story should end there. 

Sure, I might have asked for a glass of wine to compensate me for my trouble, but after that, let it go. It was a mistake and no harm was done. 

As for your assertions that Princess doesn't care, they serve tens of thousands of meals per week, per ship, millions per year and their business is dependent on that service using good food safety practices. Across those millions of meals, there are bound to be mistakes, when they happen, an on the spot correction is made, an apology issued and life moves on.  However, given their profitability and loyal customer base, it does not appear that food poisoning their customers is a big, or even small, problem on Princess. 

Sure, they shouldn't have promised to contact you and not, but why did it ever elevate that far anyway?

Undercooked food identified, reported, acknowledged, food replaced, apology made, what time does the show start?

My wife didnt have another meal she felt too sick to eat anything else so we came out of the MDR. When I told the Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter he asked if everything was OK because obviously we hadnt been in MDR very long and when he was told what had happened it was him who asked for our cabin number and said he would take it to a higher level to investigate and we would get a response the next day. We never got that response. The worrying thing on my part is that it was Chicken and Salmonella poisoning is rife if chicken is not cooked correctly. It was obviously not the only portion that was under cooked so how many people also were served the chicken and ate it without realising and as this happened Thursday night they might not yet have the symptoms of Salmonella poisoning as it can take up to 72 hrs for the infection to show and it can kill. At no point did I ask for this incident be elevated to a higher authority it was Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter who instigated it.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

He said he would investigate and get back to me this morning before our disembarkation which he promised he would. Surprise, surprise he didn't so Princess obviously dont care about the risk serving under cooked ,raw, bloody chicken and risking Salmonella, which can kill to the people who cruise on their ships.

Just because he didn't get back to you before you disembarked, doesn't mean Princess doesn't care. That's absurd.

You already reported it to 3 people in the dining room, so I'm trying to figure out why you felt the need to tell guest relations as well.

We were recently on the Caribbean Princess,and  I saw something that I recognized as unsafe food handling, so I reported it to the nearest supervisor. The next day, the food & beverage manager personally inspected the issue at hand, and later that day they held a meeting with the staff to make sure what I saw never happened again. Believe me, they care.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Just because he didn't get back to you before you disembarked, doesn't mean Princess doesn't care. That's absurd.

You already reported it to 3 people in the dining room, so I'm trying to figure out why you felt the need to tell guest relations as well.

We were recently on the Caribbean Princess,and  I saw something that I recognized as unsafe food handling, so I reported it to the nearest supervisor. The next day, the food & beverage manager personally inspected the issue at hand, and later that day they held a meeting with the staff to make sure what I saw never happened again. Believe me, they care.

Perhaps so but the Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter on the door told us it would be investigated and reported back to us and Assistant Maitre'D promised on the phone that he would guarantee he would get back to us before disembarking  which he didnt. If they have no intention of getting back to me then they shouldnt have promised me so.

Just now, majortom10 said:

Perhaps so but the Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter on the door told us it would be investigated and reported back to us and Assistant Maitre'D promised on the phone that he would guarantee he would get back to us before disembarking  which he didnt. If they have no intention of getting back to me then they shouldnt have promised me so.

What did you seriously expect them to tell you after the fact?

47 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

gotcha ...

OK, so they made an error. Mistakes happen & you made them aware of it.

I don't know what more you could expect.

I once got sick on something I ate on a Princess ship & got confined to my cabin for 24 hours. Unfortunately it happens.

Live with it and consider it lucky your wife didn't get sick. 

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Absolutely disgusted with Princess and their couldnt care less attitude.

They did care - just did not do it how you wanted.  I have been served undercooked pork on another line once.  Besides the waiter and head waiter looking and discussing it, then apologizing, there was no other reaction that I saw.  But I knew that they did not want to be in that position again and would address it with the staff in the kitchen.  That probably happened on your cruise too. 

Thanks for sharing your concern.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:13 AM, majortom10 said:

My wife didnt have another meal she felt too sick to eat anything else so we came out of the MDR. When I told the Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter he asked if everything was OK because obviously we hadnt been in MDR very long and when he was told what had happened it was him who asked for our cabin number and said he would take it to a higher level to investigate and we would get a response the next day. We never got that response. The worrying thing on my part is that it was Chicken and Salmonella poisoning is rife if chicken is not cooked correctly. It was obviously not the only portion that was under cooked so how many people also were served the chicken and ate it without realising and as this happened Thursday night they might not yet have the symptoms of Salmonella poisoning as it can take up to 72 hrs for the infection to show and it can kill. At no point did I ask for this incident be elevated to a higher authority it was Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter who instigated it.

Umm unless i had a sight issue I would realize it was undercooked or even my taste buds would pick it up I don't others ate uncooked chicken. I am sorry this happen but i am not sure what you want them to do but to correct the problem so it does not happen again.

This exact thing happened to us on the Crown last year, undercooked southern fried chicken. Reported it and lots of apologies. The head waiter even checked on us the following night at dinner. Not good though, if a restaurant on land did this they wood be in big trouble 

11 minutes ago, antsp said:

This exact thing happened to us on the Crown last year, undercooked southern fried chicken. Reported it and lots of apologies. The head waiter even checked on us the following night at dinner. Not good though, if a restaurant on land did this they wood be in big trouble 

That is not exceptable! However if a restaurant on land did that they would comp you a meal that is about it!

8 minutes ago, antsp said:

if a restaurant on land did this they wood be in big trouble 

Under-cooked food is accidentally served daily, all over the world. Meals are replaced or comped, apologies are made, and at most an inspection by the local health department is performed is a big enough stink is made. Hardly "big trouble".

Another case where a call back would have calmed the waters...  We've likewise been "mistreated" on more than one cruise.  But often these events make me think of the aphorism:  "One aw-s**t cancels out one hundred atta-boys".  Thanks for the report!

Nobody seems to be seeing the serious of serving under cooked chicken more so than any other meat due to the risk of salmonella poisoning. This can in elderly people or those with illnesses could be very serious and cause death. With it happening 2 days before getting off the cruise which the majority did at Southampton and the prospect of infection not showing for 72 hrs there could be more people possibly infected which Princess would be forced by law to report to port authorities and if they had a break out of salmonella infection the ship would have been impounded at Southampton until local food inspectors were happy and could have caused the delay of the ship sailing on the next cruise.

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody seems to be seeing the serious of serving under cooked chicken more so than any other meat due to the risk of salmonella poisoning.

I'm trying to figure out what it is you want Princess to do about the fact that your wife saw some raw chicken on her plate.

She saw that it was raw, and didn't eat it. You complained, and they apologized.

Nobody knowingly serves raw or under-cooked chicken.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody seems to be seeing the serious of serving under cooked chicken more so than any other meat due to the risk of salmonella poisoning. This can in elderly people or those with illnesses could be very serious and cause death. With it happening 2 days before getting off the cruise which the majority did at Southampton and the prospect of infection not showing for 72 hrs there could be more people possibly infected which Princess would be forced by law to report to port authorities and if they had a break out of salmonella infection the ship would have been impounded at Southampton until local food inspectors were happy and could have caused the delay of the ship sailing on the next cruise.

We all know how serious it can be your wife did not eat it !   I would have noticed if my chicken was raw as would most people ! Therefore not eat it!

Edited by Reader0108598

You had a bad meal they happen even in land restaurants...

I think you underestimate what princess knows they have to abide but food service rules...

I think this post is you nitpicking one thing that went wrong.. if everything in your life is always perfect can you adopt me.

in confused... did you not eat the rest of the trip or that night.. seems silly cause as a seasoned home cook its hard even for me to fried chicken but either you over blow things or you want theyr head on a platter for a mistake. so what is the point what do you want?