Scattering ashes at sea

Host Dan

Hi all,

I lost my partner of 26 years a few months ago.  I'd like to sprinkle his ashes at sea, on my Explorer cruise next April.  Does Regent allow this?  Any information would be quite helpful!

I don't know about Regent. My cousin did this on an NCL ship last March so I assume that Regent would allow it. She had made arraignment with the cruise line in advance. The ship supplied her with a special biodegradable bag to put the ashes into and the whole bag was dropped into the sea after the ship was out about 20 mile. 

I also know of some people who have done this surreptitiously off the back of the ship at night.

Sorry for your loss.

J

Just heard from the from Jason O'Keefe from Regent Headquarters to insure that we get 100% accurate information.  It sounds as if a loving and respectful ceremony will work fine on Regent.

"Regarding your question about spreading loved ones’ ashes, we do allow this with the following guidance.

Please make sure that the ashes are in an appropriate container so that they do not have problems with airport TSA or Customs.

Guests are responsible for checking regulations regarding disposing of ashes in any foreign country from ashore.

We can perform a Burial at Sea on the vessel if they would like to consider at no cost to the guest.

1.            Based on ship's itinerary, a date and time will be selected for the ceremony.

2.            The Purser's Office will notify the guest of the date and time scheduled for the ceremony.

3.            The ceremony must be performed beyond 12 nautical miles from land and any restricted areas noted on nautical charts and notices to mariners.

4.            At the ceremony date, Staff Captain will confirm with the Bridge when the ship is in an area approved for discharge.

5.            The Staff Captain shall organize the ceremony area to ensure that the ceremony is conducted in a respectful manner and ensure that a space is cleared for this occasion.

6.            When conducting the ceremony, take into consideration the wind direction to ensure that ashes are blown to the sea and not back onto the ship.

7.            Ashes, biodegradable urns, and flowers may be dispersed but not plastic materials such as plastic ribbons, plastic flowers, plastic urns, balloons etc.

8.            The ceremony will be logged in the Bridge Log with the date, time, latitude, longitude and family surname."

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We attended a scattering of ashes on our Dubai to Capetown cruise on Voyager in 2015. 

Here is our blog about it. 

Last night we attended a funeral at sea. One of our English friends had brought with her the ashes of her mother and father. Her father had been an engineer on ships during the second world war and into the 60’s and had spent a lot of his time in East Africa. He even called his house in England Dar es Salaam - Place of Peace.

June had arranged to scatter their ashes at sea near Dar es Salaam. So one English couple and two Aussie couples were invited to attend a small ceremony on one of the decks aft. The ceremony was conducted by the Cruise Director (in charge of entertainment and creating the right atmosphere onboard) and the Staff Captain (2IC of the ship). The ship was slowed and the ashes spread over the sea - a nice ceremony. We then all had dinner together.

The Captain is going to record the “burial” in Jane’s fathers official record of service as being “buried” at sea on the Regent Seven Sea Voyager and presenting her with an official certificate of the exact position and time of the “burial”.

It was a moving ceremony and ended in a very pleasant evening.

It was a very moving ceremony done with dignity.

I have actually witnessed such a ceremony on Regent, though I didn’t realize it till afterward.  I was doing my walking, when the ship slowed.  I looked down, and there was a small group of people out on the part that projects from the ship when they are going into port. Something seemed to be taking place.  Something went into the water. Then everyone left.  

There is an interesting dynamic in social media, including Cruise Critic. Although so far as I know I've never physically met you Dan, I feel like we're old friends. That said, then, the best advice I've ever gotten when suffering a loss is to "eat my grief."  Perhaps that advice will also help you in this terrible time.

• 5 months later...