Cruise Critic Community
foxymustang

Late arrival, snorkeling close to the beach?

Posted (edited)

We'll be arriving in St. Thomas at 11:30a on the Breeze Oct. 1. Group is husband, myself and our two kiddos (4 & 6). All of us love to snorkel but so far we've only taken the kids out at places where the reefs are relatively close to shore (Maui, etc). Which beach - Coki, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, someplace else - has relatively close-in reefs? Also, we usually bring our own sun shade shelter thing -- with our late arrival, will there be anywhere left open on the beaches to set this up? Thank you so much!

Edited by foxymustang

Coki sounds like your best bet, you should be able to squeeze in 🙂

I vote for Secret Harbor. The whole beach is really family friendly. There is a swim platform that the kids could swim to and then jump off of and climb back up. The water is gentle. The dive shop sells ice cream bars and snacks and the restaurant can make pizza and other snacks. The best snorkeling is a bit farther out but even closer in they will see some fish. I taught some people to snorkel there in July when we were staying at the hotel.  First day they found a sea turtle in the sea grass beds.

I think for your shelter the best bet may be to head away from the restaurant/bar and to the extreme left as you enter the beach. That end tends to be less crowded. If you head to the extreme right you will be in front of the dive shop (ice cream!) but the sand is coarser. Aqua Action dive shop handles the rental of the non hotel beach chairs at that end.  I have read that it is possible to prearrange chair and umbrella rentals but I have never tried that. https://www.aadivers.com/

I am saying all this with the warning that I have not been there over Christmas and potentially don't know what I am talking about for that time period.

Secret Harbor is a nice, calm small bay that is home to the Secret Harbour Resort and other properties. The problem with Secret Harbor is how crowded it will most likely be at that time of day with both Secret Harbour Resort guests and the day visitors that AA Divers can fit. You can reserve lounges and umbrellas at AA Divers, but you’d need to be very clear that you are arriving after noon, and ask if there will be a space held for you as well. There will probably not be any space available for you to set up your own tent/shade, and they are often strict about where day visitors stay in respect to Resort and other guests. So just be aware of that if going there...

The water is very calm in SH, but I think that Coki would be a better choice for the snorkeling closer to shore request...IMHO 😀