Cruise Critic Community
CarogaCruizer

Halifax and Peggy's Cove

Has anyone done a private tour of Halifax and Peggy's Cove? We are looking for a tour for 4 people in October. Any one had a good experience or do you know if they are available at the port? Thanks!

I wanted very much to visit PC, but was afraid to commit and book beforehand, since, if it's raining and windy, it is not much fun.

Decided to "play it by the ear". And it worked.

The weather was good, and right in front of the terminal is a taxi station with the fixed rates per hour. It was either 50$ or 50 CAD. Paid in CAD.... Minimum 3 hours. It is almost one hour one way.

Found 2 other couples likewise minded, and off we went. The taxi driver waited for us, we had about 50 min to wander around. It was enough. We enjoyed PC very much.

Hi

It's a very short drive... less than an hour from Halifax. Once you are out of the city there is hardly any traffic.

Have you considered just renting a car. You can pick one up just a few blocks from the port. It would certainly be a lot less expensive and you will likely find that you will have time to do something else as well.  Check the port of call threads.

have a great cruise

21 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

It's a very short drive... less than an hour from Halifax. Once you are out of the city there is hardly any traffic.

Have you considered just renting a car. You can pick one up just a few blocks from the port. It would certainly be a lot less expensive and you will likely find that you will have time to do something else as well.  Check the port of call threads.

have a great cruise

That’s what we did.  In high season there’s a Hertz location right at the port.  We went in May so walked down to the Marriott location.  But we saw lots of taxis at the cove so I figured it must have been fairly inexpensive.  Certainly something I’d do if I didn’t feel comfortable driving.

At Peggy's Cove go to the little shop down the hill from the lighthouse and watch them make pewter sand dollars. They will stamp your passport too. 
 I didn't get one of the sand dollars when we went and wished I had!

2 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Hey thanks Don! I learned a new term today PASSPORT ABUSE. I can't wait to inject it in the conversation with friends this weekend.
 Listen, if you don't have other plans try to be nice for an hour today. Tomorrow add one more and pretty soon you will be able to string a few days together. Heck, you might even make enough progress to enjoy a 4 night cruise.

This might be useful information -

"

The State Department Law on Passport Markings

The US State Department’s rules on passport markings are clearly stated on your passport. On Page 5 of all US Passports, in a section marked “Alteration or Mutilation of Passport,” is printed the warning that “only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries may place stamps or make notations or additions to this passport.” Authorized officials include US State Department staff, US Customs and Border Patrol officers, diplomatic and consular officials of foreign countries, and immigration officers at international borders.

Souvenir Stamps from Immigration Authorities

At many international borders, authorities no longer stamp passports as a matter of course, but you may request a passport stamp when you enter. This is a legal way to obtain a stamp, since it is placed into your passport by an official of the foreign government. In some countries, you may need to visit a special office in order to have your passport stamped.

Souvenir Stamps from Tourist Attractions

Many tourist attractions like parks, temples, and historic sites will have vendors who will stamp your passport with a souvenir stamp for a fee. Two famous examples are the “Checkpoint Charlie” stamp from Berlin, Germany and the Macchu Pichu stamp from Peru. This type of passport stamp is not legal under State Department regulations. Although it’s unusual for travelers to run into trouble because of these unauthorized stamps, it does happen on occasion. Some travelers have had difficulty entering countries like China because of the “fun” stamps in their passports. It’s not worth the risk!"

DON

Not to mention that there are countries that insist on two blank passport pages when you enter them.  We are going to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana and our TA warned us one of the countries had that requirement, (although right now I can't recall which one). Since we travel a lot, both my husband and I rushed to check our passport availability. We learned it is very expensive to get additional pages. 

22 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Not to mention that there are countries that insist on two blank passport pages when you enter them.  We are going to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana and our TA warned us one of the countries had that requirement, (although right now I can't recall which one). Since we travel a lot, both my husband and I rushed to check our passport availability. We learned it is very expensive to get additional pages. 

South Africa is one of the countries that requires two adjacent blank pages for entry.  (Been there, done that.)