Hurricane updates

Mattnvick

I am still considering our options. Problem is that I have a flight out of Miami on Sunday 5pm, a hotel in Miami on Saturday and nothing tomorrow. We are based from NY so driving is an option, but a 20 hour one. Oh, and I have 3, 5, 8 year olds who are starting school on Tuesday. 

We might just have to sit this one out on the Seaside.

Edited by exm

17 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

The ship is scheduled to leave Miami tonight at 1800. Just keep checking the MSC website for updates regarding your cruise. It will most likely be canceled. 

MSC hasn't yet announced that its leaving today. Only that it will leave when the port closes, which the deadline has not yet been set. In fact their website states it will be departing tomorrow. MSC is expecting an update at noon, as is the coast guard regarding port status.

Last update:

Update: August 30, 2019 9:30 am (EST): 

Hurricane  Dorian Update:  
As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, which could have an impact on two of our scheduled Caribbean cruises departing from Miami.

MSC Seaside is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami, tomorrow, Saturday, August 31 and MSC Armonia is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami on Monday, September 2. While at this time neither of these cruises have been cancelled, guests scheduled to embark on either ship are encouraged to check this page regularly for updates. MSC Cruises will update itinerary details for both ships upon receiving information related to the status of PortMiami.

Please note, as Hurricane Dorian approaches, the MSC Cruises USA office will have limited staff. We encourage you to please check this web site for all updates, rather than calling our contact center.

MSC Cruises’ next update will be at 12 pm on August 30.  

Edited by DMage

12 minutes ago, DMage said:

MSC hasn't yet announced that its leaving today. Only that it will leave when the port closes, which the deadline has not yet been set. In fact their website states it will be departing tomorrow. MSC is expecting an update at noon, as is the coast guard regarding port status.

Last update:

Update: August 30, 2019 9:30 am (EST): 

As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, which could have an impact on two of our scheduled Caribbean cruises departing from Miami.

MSC Seaside is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami, tomorrow, Saturday, August 31 and MSC Armonia is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami on Monday, September 2. While at this time neither of these cruises have been cancelled, guests scheduled to embark on either ship are encouraged to check this page regularly for updates. MSC Cruises will update itinerary details for both ships upon receiving information related to the status of PortMiami.

Please note, as Hurricane Dorian approaches, the MSC Cruises USA office will have limited staff. We encourage you to please check this web site for all updates, rather than calling our contact center.

MSC Cruises’ next update will be at 12 pm on August 30.  

....."I am currently on the MSC Seaside.  We have arrived at the Port of Miami and those who wish to disembark are free to do so and those who do not wish to disembark can stay.   Once everything is loaded onboard, we are headed out".....

The above quote  intimates they are leaving today. I would say the announcement came from the captain and i would go with that as to what will happen rather than the updates that can be out of date very soon after they are posted. 

But we will see. That's just my thought. The 1230 bulletin will be interesting

Edited by Mattnvick

31 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Is the ship leaving Miami to go to Cozumel? duration? we are due to sail tomorrow.

No. It is armonia that is in cozumel today. If seaside leaves Miami today, there are no published plans for seaside to go anywhere other than safe waters to position themselves to return as soon as the port reopens. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but what is the ship in front of Carnival (or behind depending on your pov as Carnival is pointing the wrong way in the basin😏) and the ship behind Seaside - the one behind Seaside looks like an NCL? on the POM webcam. And are they scheduled to be there or have also arrived early?

Edited by Mattnvick

4 minutes ago, WannaCruise365 said:

It’s odd they put that out yesterday but this am post that as of now they are sailing 8/31. I wish they’d report what the plan is  as what should we do here in Miami on the 8/31 cruise. Try and leave or stay? All flights on SWA are sold out until Monday... 

Agree. I think MSC put themselves in a tight spot calling out to those onboard that they can stay onboard so early - I expect that may backtrack if the port stays open on Saturday and have folks debark as scheduled. Forward momentum continue to slow down, and tropical storm winds are now not targeted to arrive in Miami until ~10a Sunday should it stay on that path, which is the trigger for the port closing. Eagerly awaiting the noon update from the coast guard and MSC.

Edited by DMage
  • Like 1

Mattnvick: Here is the current basin in POM. 

image.png.11ef8849ed521c8da5686f530b5c39c0.png

I think you are referencing Navigator? Or is it Carnival Victory? If so, here are both their changed itinerary:

Navigator of the Seas will depart Miami on August 30, but instead of returning on September 2, it will increase its itinerary length and return on September 4. Its revised itinerary has the ship in Nassau on Saturday and Cozumel on Monday. Its September 2 sailing will be shortened, departing Miami on September 4, calling at Perfect Day at CocoCay on September 5 and returning to Miami on September 6.

Carnival Victory is skipping Saturday's call on Nassau and replacing it with a stop in Key West. The ship will depart Miami on Friday as scheduled, but it's still unclear if the ship will be able to return to Miami on Monday.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

Heck, here is the plan for NCL sky while I"m at it :)

Norwegian Sky will skip its visit to Great Stirrup Cay on August 30. Instead the ship will return to Miami a day early on Friday, August 30, 2019. Guests will have the opportunity to remain on board until 7 a.m. on August 31. Due to the shortened cruise, all guests will receive a 20% refund from the original cruise fare paid. Passengers on the August 31 sailing will receive an update by 3 p.m. or sooner on Friday, August 30.

• Thanks 1

I feel sorry for those trying to decide what to do. The roads will be packed and gas stations are running out of gas, hotels are full, etc.  Same scenario as during Hurricane Irma.  I'd rather be on a ship in safe harbor than fighting those circumstances. 

• Like 1

Port Everglades just announced coast guard has approved cruise operations for Saturday, August 31 for Carnival Magic and Celebrity Equinox. Expect we'll have something from Port Miami soon...

• Like 2

We are still onboard, and MSC announced that it will update us as they receive the CoastGuard briefing which I believe is at noon.  Passengers have mostly been off loaded and supplies are still being loaded on so we shall see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, talltree said:

We are still onboard, and MSC announced that it will update us as they receive the CoastGuard briefing which I believe is at noon.  Passengers have mostly been off loaded and supplies are still being loaded on so we shall see what happens.

Noon will be interesting. Looks like you may do an overnight in Miami. There is a rolling stones concert going on that was pushed up a date. I'm sure tickets are available. Bayside also puts on free concerts on Friday nights. Hopefully they will let you come and go. 

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Noon will be interesting. Looks like you may do an overnight in Miami. There is a rolling stones concert going on that was pushed up a date. I'm sure tickets are available. Bayside also puts on free concerts on Friday nights. Hopefully they will let you come and go. 

When we were docked overnight for 2-3 days no one was allowed off unless going home. Once you left ship, not return.  Due to customs control.

5 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

When we were docked overnight for 2-3 days no one was allowed off unless going home. Once you left ship, not return.  Due to customs control.

I'm not certain that is a custom thing, might be a MSC thing? Other lines let guest on and off in Miami. Just last April in fact; when Anthem stopped in Miami instead of Coco Cay (as a last minute substitute because coco cay wasn't able to accommodate). Of course, this wasn't during a hurricane, but I would think that If the port is open, customs will be open. I believe you were docked AFTER the hurricane? Perhaps that had to do with 'state of emergency"? We shall see!! 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

From MSC:

Update: August 30, 2019 11:45 am (EST): 

MSC Cruises’ next update will be at 2 pm (EST) on August 30.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Slightly off topic but what is the ship in front of Carnival (or behind depending on your pov as Carnival is pointing the wrong way in the basin😏) and the ship behind Seaside - the one behind Seaside looks like an NCL? on the POM webcam. And are they scheduled to be there or have also arrived early?

Norwegian Sky. Saw it sailing by this morning around 8am.

6 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

Yes, I would think that is a totally different situation. That would be like another port of call and not the home port.

NCL sky is in the same situation as Seaside (literally, coming into port a day early and leaving tomorrow). Based on reports from guests on the NCL sky, they are being allowed to debark and re-board later. I can't define 'later'. In other words, for me it's not clear if they are debarking, going through customs, and then immediately re-boarding (which isn't really debarking);  or if they can debark, tour miami, and embark later. 

Ok--so I am still on board and they made an announcement that anyone that said they would get off needs to get off now because customs personnel are leaving at 12:30, but this is the interesting part of the announcement--if you do not get off today you will not have the opportunity to get off until tomorrow--which could mean that the rest of us will have to disembark tomorrow.  I'm not sure that is the plan, but that was the announcement.

13 minutes ago, talltree said:

Ok--so I am still on board and they made an announcement that anyone that said they would get off needs to get off now because customs personnel are leaving at 12:30, but this is the interesting part of the announcement--if you do not get off today you will not have the opportunity to get off until tomorrow--which could mean that the rest of us will have to disembark tomorrow.  I'm not sure that is the plan, but that was the announcement.

Possibly because they got permission to cruise tomorrow?