Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
luckybecky

Thoughts about prices and other things

Hello cruisers! 

We have booked a back to back Eastern and Western Mediterranean cruise for next summer. The price difference between the 2 cruises are very significant and I'm wondering about any thoughts you experienced RC cruisers may have.

Our daughter booked us on the July 12, 2020 Eastern Med cruise from Civitavecchia to Greece. This was a gift for my husband's 60th birthday. (Yes, we have an amazing daughter!!!)

She got us an inside stateroom on deck 6, category 6V. This stateroom category is currently going for almost $4500 for two people (when she booked, it was a bit lower). This seems really high to me, for an inside cabin. That's approaching $300 per day/ per person. 

This is our first time on RC so maybe that is standard, but it seems unusually high to me.

So, we figured as long as we are flying to Europe, we might as well make the most of it. We decided to make this a back to back cruise and we booked the July 20, 2020 Western Med cruise. 

The price difference between the two cruises is very substantial.  As mentioned, we are in an inside cabin for the first leg. Currently priced at roughly $4500. We were able to book a balcony cabin (4D) on the second leg, at half the price. It is currently going for $2160.  Yes, the first leg is slightly longer but this price difference seems really out of whack, especially considering that the cheaper cruise is in a balcony, with the more expensive cruise in an inside cabin.

Anyway I'm just wondering about any thoughts on pricing, why these two cruises have such wildly different prices, and is there any likelihood that the more expensive cruise might come down in price? We would love to upgrade to a balcony but not at current prices. Why would this cruise be so high priced? 

This is our first back to back cruise so I'm also wondering how that works. Do you just leave your luggage with the steward and he takes care of moving it to the new room? If you have done a back to back , do you get off the ship and find something to do in port, or do you stay on board and relax? 

Any other tips specifically for RC would be welcome. So far, we have sailed Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity, and Paul Gauguin. We are looking forward to trying a new cruise line!

Thanks!

Firstly I find that the Med is more expensive than a Caribbean cruise even with the airfare over the pond so it doesn't surprise me that you find it dear.

Back to backs in Europe are very much the same as in the US.  As you haven't got the same cabin you need to pack everything but your hanger stuff and the steward should move both for you.  There will be a note and a meeting explaining what to do but you will either have a place on the ship to meet to get your new card and then you are free for the day or you may have to pop off the ship, normally you would be the last off, before reboarding with your new card having seen officials.  You will have access to your room before the normal 1pm opening up of cabins.

Supply and demand affects the pricing.  One cruise has booked much faster than the other and therefore has caused the price to rise faster.

The 8 day sailings are in line with other sailings.  It’s the two six day sailings July 20 and 26 that are really discounted.  They must not be selling very well as the prices have dropped even below initial group pricing which doesn’t happen often 

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the six day cruise is very affordable right now. I just called this morning and got $474 knocked off the price we paid a few weeks ago because it has gone down. Meanwhile the 8 day cruise is very expensive. Fortunately our daughter bought it before the price rose so much, but it was still considerably more expensive for an inside cabin than for our balcony on the 6 day cruise.  I know it's all about supply and demand but this price difference seemed really pronounced to me. 

Anyway, we are very excited for this cruise. Thanks again for your comments.

Becky

9 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the six day cruise is very affordable right now. I just called this morning and got $474 knocked off the price we paid a few weeks ago because it has gone down. Meanwhile the 8 day cruise is very expensive. Fortunately our daughter bought it before the price rose so much, but it was still considerably more expensive for an inside cabin than for our balcony on the 6 day cruise.  I know it's all about supply and demand but this price difference seemed really pronounced to me. 

Anyway, we are very excited for this cruise. Thanks again for your comments.

Becky

We have Allure booked for a B2B OCT. 2020 in the Med. The first leg 7 nights is $3900.00, the second leg is 14 nights at $2800.00, prices are for 2 including port fees and taxes with C&A balcony discount.  Both legs same cabin 1C deck 12. The second leg is fairly full with only balconies on deck 6 - 8 showing. All dining and restaurant packages are 10 to 15% higher for the first leg.   Second leg is a TA with 10 sea days so port fees are far less but half price for the second leg is a big difference. 

One word - Greece.  Generally any cruise going to the Greek Isles are more expensive, and if it goes to both Mykonos and Santorini, then even more.

Edited by Friend100