Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

At the end of the day P & O clearly state what the required level of dress is for the MDRs and certain bars around their ships on any given day.  People who are not prepared to adhere to this should not book a cruise with P & O.  I am getting tired of people trying to change things to suit themselves.  Please let those of us, that do like to dress appropriately and take pride in our appearance, enjoy our evenings in the environment and ambience that P & O try to maintain.

Absolutely !!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

At the end of the day P & O clearly state what the required level of dress is for the MDRs and certain bars around their ships on any given day.  People who are not prepared to adhere to this should not book a cruise with P & O.  I am getting tired of people trying to change things to suit themselves.  Please let those of us, that do like to dress appropriately and take pride in our appearance, enjoy our evenings in the environment and ambience that P & O try to maintain.

I totally agree.

I think the dress code on P&O is just right. We feel comfortable knowing that, in the restaurants and most bars, the level of dress will contribute to the ambience.

We've had a couple of cruises on Marella ships recently, and while the product is quite good, the vague dress code is a shambles and beachwear intermingled with jackets and ties at dinner is bizarre.

As far as Benidorm goes we occasionally stay at the Hotel Don Pancho there where the smart casual dress code is strictly enforced, and shorts are a no no even in the show lounge in the evenings.

I hope P&O continue to keep the standards up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palaceman said:

At the end of the day P & O clearly state what the required level of dress is for the MDRs and certain bars around their ships on any given day.  People who are not prepared to adhere to this should not book a cruise with P & O.  I am getting tired of people trying to change things to suit themselves.  Please let those of us, that do like to dress appropriately and take pride in our appearance, enjoy our evenings in the environment and ambience that P & O try to maintain.

Totally agree with your comment, but unfortunately i suspect P&O will eventually go down the more casual route.

I don't mind casual but i do object to people not changing and wearing what they have worn during the day especially on a formal night. 

One one occasion I had a man sitting next to me in the MDR on a formal night with a baseball cap on ..... 

P&O needs to either enforce the dress code in the stipulated areas or relax the rules entirely. Sad, but inevitable i suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

One one occasion I had a man sitting next to me in the MDR on a formal night with a baseball cap on ..... 

P&O needs to either enforce the dress code in the stipulated areas or relax the rules entirely. 

Exactly.   I sat next to a guy in the Beach House in football shirt, shorts and trainers complaining that he had needed to buy some trousers at the previous port as he didn't realise he needed any.  These and other boards are full of people asking questions basically wanting to push the boundaries.  Largely I suspect either for the sake of it or more often than not to wind up other people on social media.   Its P&O's dress code - no one elses - if they want one they they should enforce it properly .... they don't currently which leads to some folk getting quite upset.    

Edited by chrisg1uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

One one occasion I had a man sitting next to me in the MDR on a formal night with a baseball cap on .....

 I hope you asked the maitre de to find you an alternative table and tell him why you wished to move. That is what would have done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

 I hope you asked the maitre de to find you an alternative table and tell him why you wished to move. That is what would have done. 

 

Pity  Tony Soprano wasn’t there , he just needs to stare 😂

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think that sometimes when people book a cruise for the first time or have sailed on less formal cruise lines, they are not aware that it is expected that they adhere to the dress code , more that they can adhere to the dress code if they wish.A few people have the 'Its my holiday, I'll dress how I want to'mentality.I think it would help if Travel agents pointed out the dress code expectations when booking.P and O issue guidelines but I suspect that not many people read them through before booking ,if at all.I would welcome fewer formal evenings- I quite like them but for me once a week is enough but I do think P and O should either enforce them or state that they are optional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think another factor is the number of different ways people now book their cruises.  Third party on-line website and via a TV channel for instance.  I recall seeing part of one of the TV cruise shows selling cruises on Oceana, which they kept describing as a casual cruise - no surprise that someone might assume they do not require any sort of formal wear.  I don't understand it but many men now seem to want to wear shorts all the time, wherever they go and whatever the weather.

 

As an aside, on my recent Princess cruise in Alaska, there was one man I saw who always had a baseball cap on.  I passed him at least once every day and never saw him without it, whatever ship's venue I saw him in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ann141 said:

I do think that sometimes when people book a cruise for the first time or have sailed on less formal cruise lines, they are not aware that it is expected that they adhere to the dress code , more that they can adhere to the dress code if they wish.A few people have the 'Its my holiday, I'll dress how I want to'mentality.I think it would help if Travel agents pointed out the dress code expectations when booking.P and O issue guidelines but I suspect that not many people read them through before booking ,if at all.I would welcome fewer formal evenings- I quite like them but for me once a week is enough but I do think P and O should either enforce them or state that they are optional

Agree Time and time again i read on Facecloth people asking same old questions, sometimes they have booked a cruise at the TA and have no idea what they've booked or what its about, today i saw "is it a long walk to the ship from the airport??" ffs it says in your documents Transfer included just like a land resort holiday except instead of hotel coach drops you off at the ship, and the clothing issue, read the god damn brochure, nobody seems able to do this anymore and can only take small sound bites a la Alexa or google. lol

Rant over. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Totally agree with your comment, but unfortunately i suspect P&O will eventually go down the more casual route.

I don't mind casual but i do object to people not changing and wearing what they have worn during the day especially on a formal night. 

One one occasion I had a man sitting next to me in the MDR on a formal night with a baseball cap on ..... 

P&O needs to either enforce the dress code in the stipulated areas or relax the rules entirely. Sad, but inevitable i suspect.

That is a very common practice on Princess cruises  on formal night but having seen Donald "Duck" Trump on TV last night with a red baseball cap on looking a right numpty you cannot expect any better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Britboys said:

As an aside, on my recent Princess cruise in Alaska, there was one man I saw who always had a baseball cap on.  I passed him at least once every day and never saw him without it, whatever ship's venue I saw him in.

 

Just a thought, we were recently on a holiday where a lovely gentleman wore a baseball cap all the time. He wore it to cover his kippah to save having to explain it / deal with comments.

 

Tolerance is unfortunately not universal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crikey not been on here since Friday and it’s turned into quite a topic😊 thank you all for the input it’s been a great help although since it’s a cruise to the Caribbean I thought the dress code might be a little relaxed but  I do love seeing everyone smart. I have to admit it is a pain having to get ready every night especially if it’s been a busy day but there is always the buffet and the outside bars if we didn’t fancy getting too dolled up or even eat in our cabin. We have first time cruisers with us so there is a lot of questions but as we have never sailed with p&o we can’t always answer so appreciate all the advice 👍I will just add that I do firmly believe that cruisers should follow dress codes and asking this question makes sure we don’t get it wrong so thank you ☺️ 

Edited by scubadiverswife
Add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

 

Just a thought, we were recently on a holiday where a lovely gentleman wore a baseball cap all the time. He wore it to cover his kippah to save having to explain it / deal with comments.

 

Tolerance is unfortunately not universal.

 

 

 

So sad that he felt he needed to cover his kippah, a simple outward expression of his faith. What is the world coming to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

 

Just a thought, we were recently on a holiday where a lovely gentleman wore a baseball cap all the time. He wore it to cover his kippah to save having to explain it / deal with comments.

 

Tolerance is unfortunately not universal.

 

 

Sadly, you are very right about tolerance not being universal.

I am fortunately not one to judge and realised that there could be a number of reasons someone never seems to remove a baseball cap.  It does seem however that a lot of American men are very attached to their baseball caps... 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

 

Just a thought, we were recently on a holiday where a lovely gentleman wore a baseball cap all the time. He wore it to cover his kippah to save having to explain it / deal with comments.

 

Tolerance is unfortunately not universal.

 

 

 

 

 

It's a  real pity he felt he had to hide his kippah, especially on what is meant to be a safe, friendly and tolerant environment of a cruise ship. I expect the gentleman got used to wearing it in less friendly environments. It's a pity that somehow even after a few days he didn't feel "safe" enough to go without the baseball hat.

 

I hope and expect that everyone would respect someone wearing a kippah , a turban or any other religious headgear in the MDR. 

 

The shame is that the baseball cap in the wrong place would provoke far more funny looks or comments than the kippah which would be accepted by all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the problem. However it will be OK with Scottish men wearing shorts as you will see their kilt hose sock flash garters but why would they not simply wear their kilts?  Surely English gentlemen wearing shorts would look ridiculous as you would see their sock suspenders. You should not want that sight.

 

Regards John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...