Cruise Critic Community
Alphen

BEWARE!!! CRUISING ON MS ROTTERDAM OUT OF ROTTERDAM IN MAY 2020 BEWARE!!!

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I would; we (up to now) never had a bad experience. And what can go wrong when you enter a (official) taxi with another couple for transportation to a hotel or town? 

LOTS  can go wrong prior to you (and  the strangers with whom you are sharing the vehicle. )actually enter the private transportation arranged prior to arrival.  , if, indeed that ever does occur.

Edited by sail7seas

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Checking it is not dragging it out but I had no plans on posting it here.  No point. 

I know you don’t do roll calls so it perplexed me why you would comment on sharing private transfers/tours with other members.  Since you have no experience in it, you are unfamiliar how it works, naturally.  Why perplexed?   😕

Roll call members are I am sharing tours/private transfers with are not total strangers 😄

I actually have met cc'ers on ships despite not involving my self in  roll calls.    YOu and I met  did WE  not??      thanks to My introducing my self to you and your Dh at   Crows nest.     I remind you  as you may not recall.

People easily meet on ships if they wish.  we d o not all need a   group leader, or, for that matter, a group at all.

😐

Many of us are far more independent   than that.

Edited by sail7seas

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

I actually have met cc'ers on ships despite not involving my self in  roll calls.    YOu and I met  did WE  not??      thanks to My introducing my self to you and your Dh at   Crows nest.     I remind you  as you may not recall.

People easily meet on ships if they wish.  we d o not all need a   group leader, or, for that matter, a group at all.

😐

Many of us are far more independent   than that.

Yes, we met, of course.  I believe the introductions were in the reverse, but that’s irrelevant.

My point is IF you haven’t joined roll call tours or transfers, then you don’t know what we do to make sure everyone is compatible.  The worry of risk of “strangers” is nothing but fear mongering.  And there is no call for it if people do what they should and most of us know how to do its.

Yes,  of course,  fear mongering,   Really ?🤣

My dinner is ready.   I'll eat while it is hot.   

Bye..  See  'ya

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

tHE   'reverse'  means they knew each other  from their time together on the ship.     On arrival,    means they have never , met.So many possible glitches between    Strangers hoping the other just might actually arrive as promised on whichever airline they used  guessing, not necessarily the same one.  I most likely would not make such a plan with a stranger    and   if I made a 'goof' and did, I would plan to pay the full cost of car and  driver while  not planning  on   anyone  to pay   a   ' share'.      The world being full of all sorts and my being a highly experienced  traveler, as presumably are you, Kazu.  

Would you make    such a plan  with someone you have never met?   

Actually, Sail7seas, if you join a roll call you certainly get a feel for who you like or feel you can enjoy their company.  Sometimes you just have to trust and nothing says you can't back out!  In fact, I have met some great people making plans for the embarkation port, often a roll call plans some kind of get together prior to sailing.  Great things often come out of stepping outside your comfort zone, especially if you are a solo traveller.

Posted (edited)

After more than 100 cruises, I think I know what works best for me.  Great for those who wish  to have a group  leader and a group.  Nothing wrong with i t is just not the style for everyone,  do what makes you happy.   Live and Let live. 

I do as I wish and have no interest in telling anyone what they should do in this regard but have no wish for anyone to tell me  what I should do .  😀

Yes I am a solo cruiser.

Edited by sail7seas

14 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

After more than 100 cruises, I think I know what works best for me.  Great for those who wish  to have a group  leader and a group.  Nothing wrong with i t is just not the style for everyone,  do what makes you happy.   Live and Let live. 

I do as I wish and have no interest in telling anyone what they should do in this regard but have no wish for anyone to tell me  what I should do .  😀

Yes I am a solo cruiser.

Exactly!  I totally agree with you.  Everyone makes their own choices, and if they differ from yours, so what.  That's why this forum is great, you can just scroll right if the topic is something you don't wish to participate in.

for those on the Rotterdam May 16th sailing, or really for any sailing where there is a big event (FLL Boat Show, Superbowl, World Cup, etc) it may be one of the rare occasions when checking the price of a 1-3 night hotel package through HAL is beneficial, especially considering they will include airport to hotel and hotel to pier transfers.

For example HAL offer the Movenpick Amsterdam as 1 night pre cruise package for $682 total for 2 people inclusive of tax and transfers.  A 2 night stay would be $1164 total for 2, and a 3 night stay $1646 total for 2.  Higher than some would like to spend but possibly less hassle, or less expensive, than other options given the Eurovision madness

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

for those on the Rotterdam May 16th sailing, or really for any sailing where there is a big event (FLL Boat Show, Superbowl, World Cup, etc) it may be one of the rare occasions when checking the price of a 1-3 night hotel package through HAL is beneficial, especially considering they will include airport to hotel and hotel to pier transfers.

For example HAL offer the Movenpick Amsterdam as 1 night pre cruise package for $682 total for 2 people inclusive of tax and transfers.  A 2 night stay would be $1164 total for 2, and a 3 night stay $1646 total for 2.  Higher than some would like to spend but possibly less hassle, or less expensive, than other options given the Eurovision madness

We just stayed at the Movenpick prior to a 21 day cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. The advantage to staying there is that it’s an easy walk, less than 3 minutes, to the cruise terminal. But we’ll never stay there again.

Check in time isn’t until 3:00 pm (with no exceptions). If your flight arrives in the morning, as ours did, there’s no way to either settle in or rest for an hour or two before exploring Amsterdam. It was a huge inconvenience. The hotel isn’t in the Old Town, which is about a ten minute walk away. It borders a waterway on one side and a noisy highway on the other. It’s restaurant is over priced and bad. The hotel itself is bland and generic.

HA must have some kind of cheap deal with them because the rooms they gave the passengers were far from their best. We had a great cruise, but our first night at this place started things off on a bit of a sour note.

Edited by BarbarianPaul
Typo

2 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Exactly!  I totally agree with you.  Everyone makes their own choices, and if they differ from yours, so what.  That's why this forum is great, you can just scroll right if the topic is something you don't wish to participate in.

OR participate in the conversation if one wishes.  If one opts to participate, it seems rather obvious to me they want to  and as long as they break no CC rules, why should they not?

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

FLL  Boat show draws a big crowd , hotels book up early and dinner  reservations are best made sooner rather than later.

Prices soar ...........

However, FLL airport is a short jump to many of ghe 17th street hotels  and a low   taxi fare  A  Great Many stays in FLL and we never have a problem getting a taxi either   at our hotel or at the ariport/cruise terminal at the end of a cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

5 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

We just stayed at the Movenpick prior to a 21 day cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. The advantage to staying there is that it’s an easy walk, less than 3 minutes, to the cruise terminal. But we’ll never stay there again.

Check in time isn’t until 3:00 pm (with no exceptions). If your flight arrives in the morning, as ours did, there’s no way to either settle in or rest for an hour or two before exploring Amsterdam. It was a huge inconvenience. The hotel isn’t in the Old Town, which is about a ten minute walk away. It borders a waterway on one side and a noisy highway on the other. It’s restaurant is over priced and bad. The hotel itself is bland and generic.

HA must have some kind of cheap deal with them because the rooms they gave the passengers were far from their best. We had a great cruise, but our first night at this place started things off on a bit of a sour note.

More often than not, When flying to Europe,  we booked our hotel for the day before we planned to arrive.  We always advised them our reason for ding that is our room would be ready for us when we arrived.  Our bill  indicated we were guess from that previous day on.

We arrived at our hotel and w ere  checked in and taken to our room immediately  GREAT way to   travel to Europ from   North  America.

I we  were on a night flight to Las Vegas, we did the same thing and booked our hotel  for   previous day.  Just be sure to tell them in advance  what you are doing so they do not think you are a ' no show'.

image.png.afe6f6793f856fbaaeabdde2d042ac6c.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

16 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Unless HAL will provide  (sell) a transfer, that suggestion  likely means a    train  while   schlepping luggage and then a taxi  Rotterdam port is huge.  A train with no luggage is not bad but with  heavy .

suitcases ,   Ugh,  Groan.

One  can get penny wise  and pound foolish  !

This might not be a smart time for that .  

Alphen,  very nice of you to post the alert for those who could be impacted by that  event.

I never talked about train or schlepping luggage. All places can easily be reached from the airport by cab or even Uber. The same for going to the port. Hotelprices in Rotterdam during this event will probably be extreme expensive, up by maybe even 500% or more!

The same with hoteprices is happening with the small seaside resort of Zandvoort since it was announced F1 will take place there  this coming May. 

Edited by Ine

8 hours ago, sail7seas said:

More often than not, When flying to Europe,  we booked our hotel for the day before we planned to arrive.  We always advised them our reason for ding that is our room would be ready for us when we arrived.  Our bill  indicated we were guess from that previous day on.

This is an excellent suggestion.

1 hour ago, Ine said:

I never talked about train or schlepping luggage. All places can easily be reached from the airport by cab or even Uber. The same for going to the port. Hotelprices in Rotterdam during this event will probably be extreme expensive, up by maybe even 500% or more!

The same with hoteprices is happening with the small seaside resort of Zandvoort since it was announced F1 will take place there  this coming May. 

Rotterdam has the Eurovisojn Song Contest but Amsterdam is having a big event between August 16-20 called SAIL 2020. Tall ships etc from all over the world will be in Amsterdam.Actually a bigger event then the Eurovision Song contest more visitors from all over the world. Hotel prices during that period ????? Ship in town: Nieuw Amsterdam on August 16 but will NOT dock at Amsterdam Cruise Terminal but at Waterland Terminal.

Peter

10 hours ago, sail7seas said:

We arrived at our hotel and w ere  checked in and taken to our room immediately  GREAT way to   travel to Europ from   North  America.

I we  were on a night flight to Las Vegas, we did the same thing and booked our hotel  for   previous day.  Just be sure to tell them in advance  what you are doing so they do not think you are a ' no show'.

image.png.afe6f6793f856fbaaeabdde2d042ac6c.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Thats definitely a good option, and one we never considered. Not sure how I feel about paying double for early check in, though.

9 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Thats definitely a good option, and one we never considered. Not sure how I feel about paying double for early check in, though.Only you can make that decision.     For us, it was So worth it.  After doing that the fist time, it became  an automatic travel habit we enjoyed immensely   I won't bother to list the best features of that habit. Most here, I suspect can make their own list of what they would like best  a bout it.

9 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

On 8/31/2019 at 7:26 PM, BarbarianPaul said:

We arrived at our hotel and w ere  checked in and taken to our room immediately  GREAT way to   travel to Europ from o

image.png