Questions about the Pearl

Astromaid

I am considering a cruise on the Pearl, I usually do Carnival and have done a couple Royal. I would like to try Norwegian as I like some of the itineraries.

1. On Carnival I usually spend my time in Serenity and on Jewel of the Seas I found several quiet areas overlooking the ocean. I like quiet areas to read and quilt. Does Pearl have any areas that would be like this? Because of money, I will probably book an inside, so won't have a balcony. If it is an outdoor deck, I want shade.

2. Also a bit confused about dining, we will probably do free dining, with maybe one specialty restaurant. They have a couple main dining rooms, which say the menu is the same in them. Does that mean that the menu is the same every night or do they have rotating menus that are the same that day? 

3. Is it necessary to do reservations for free dining? I would like to see what is going on each night before I decide when I want to eat. We tend to like to eat early, say 5:30 to 6:30. 

4. Will we be seated with other people or will we usually get a table for two? 

5. On the "Free at Sea" one of the perks is a free drink package. I understand that we will have to pay the 20% gratuity for each drink. My husband likes craft beer, is there any included in this package? I assume it covers most umbrella drinks, I am not a heavy drinker and if I felt it was too much alcohol would it include virgin drinks? 

Thank you for any information you can give me!

(1)  Yes there are lots of quiet places to read, relax and whatever both inside and outside.  In the bar area on Deck 6 during the day is very quiet.  Spinnaker Lounge (forward) Deck 13 is quiet most of the time.  Outside -- anywhere along Deck 7 and Great Outdoors (aft Deck 12) is always good except for meal times.

(2) The menus are the same for all both of the main dining rooms.  One side of the menu changes each night and the other once a week.

(3) No you do need to make reservations for the Main Dining Rooms

(4) There are lots of tables of two in each dining room.  You can ask to be seated with others if you wish.

(5) When you purchase a Drink Package the tax is added to it.  You will not be charged a tax with each drink unless you are in a US port that has a state or local tax- then it is only a few cents per drink.

Enjoy your cruise

The drink package includes umbrella drinks. Last time I got pina coladas, strawberry daqueris, margaritas, and mudslides. You can definitely get them virgin any time you prefer. We did that a few times too. Not sure what the beer options are since I don't drink it, but I believe most if not all beers available onboard are included in the package. If something is over the max price included by the package, you only have to pay the difference (and gratuity on the difference), not the full price of the drink.

The drinks package gets you any drink that's under $15 - this covers all of the beer.

When I was on the Pearl 2 years ago, they didn't have anything that I really consider 'craft' (the closest thing was the Lagunitas, I think), but that's just the nature of the beer industry - any brewery that produces enough beer to supply a cruise line is way too big to be considered craft.