Cruise Critic Community
Radarhog

Walking self tour

Of the three ports in Mexico we will visit:

Mazatlán

Cabo

Puerto Vallarta

Which would be a good town for just walking off the ship and exploring the local area. Would be looking for some souvenirs and maybe chance a meal in a local restaurant.  

6 hours ago, Radarhog said:

Mazatlán

Cabo

Puerto Vallarta

Which would be a good town for just walking off the ship and exploring the local area. Would be looking for some souvenirs and maybe chance a meal in a local restaurant.  

Agree with the other poster who suggested posting on Mexican Riviera forum.  Plus, on the NCL general board and with hundreds of ports NCL visits, no one knows what cities you may be interested in by posting "Walking Self Tour."

However, Cabo is walking right outside the port.   The other two basically require a taxi, tour, or city bus beyond the immediate port area.    

Mazatlán...….there is a self guided tour called the "Blue Line".  Once you get out of the terminal, there should be people with maps that will give you info.  GREAT tour, wear comfortable shoes, and bring bottled water.  The tour(a literal blue line) ends at a cathedral in the middle of the city, but we continued on until we got to the ocean.  If you explore beyond the line, always know were you at.  It is a beautiful/interesting city.

Be very careful when walking around any Mexican port on your own. Do your research; that will help you to avoid troubled areas.

My daughter in law is from Hermosillo and the dividing line in one area is a street not a general location. One side of the street, very safe; the other side of the street, dangerous.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:03 AM, Radarhog said:

Mazatlán

Cabo

Puerto Vallarta

I did this sailing on the Bliss.

I didn't get off at Mazatlan. Cabo is an easy walk-off, I walked about 20 minutes from the port and that whole area felt very safe. There was probably more I could have explored, but I got off too late and its a short port day.

Puerto Vallarta - this was a full-day walking self-tour. I took a public bus south from outside the port ($1 US) and self-toured the whole downtown area. Its about 10-15 minutes ride. You get off at the bus's last stop and all the tourist stuff is right there. Go toward the ocean and you will hit the tourist strip (called "Malecon"). Start walking north and explore. Its an extremely beautiful and well-developed waterfront area with open shops, markets and restaurants.

Once you get to the end of the "strip", catch a cab back or a bus. Its a 10-15 minute ride either way. I was going to cab it back just to be safe in terms of making it back to the ship on time, but the busses are SO frequent (literally, one after the other, 3-5 minutes apartment) I ended up taking the bus anyway.