Cruise Critic Community
GonzoWCS

Princess Cays "fixin" to Be Hit By Dorian!!??

Posted (edited)

Looking at the track of Hurricane Dorian, and looks like Princess Cays is in danger.  Prayers for those folks who make our stays there great.  Be Safe!

Steve & Vicky

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Edited by GonzoWCS

She has been hit a few times in the past.

I agree - I hope everyone stays safe.

The latest track shows the storm going to the north east of the island. The cone of the track shows it just being in the wind cone.  If it stays on the track the southern part of Eleuthera should have a wind and rain event. I doubt there will be hurricane force winds down there.

5 minutes ago, 1Gizmo said:

The latest track shows the storm going to the north east of the island. The cone of the track shows it just being in the wind cone.  If it stays on the track the southern part of Eleuthera should have a wind and rain event. I doubt there will be hurricane force winds down there.

Watching closely....

Cheers

Steve & Vicky

Princess Cays should be OK. The most dangerous side of a hurricane is the right side and it looks like Dorian is tracking to the northeast. 

Posted (edited)

The further North, the better!

That goes for FLL as well.

This is one major hurricane!

Edited by Wishing on a star

South Eleuthera will largely escape this one.  I am more concerned about US mainland and hope it swings mostly out of the way of our southern neighbors.  Know several people in the path.

Appears at this time Dorian is going to pass east of the US coast.  However hurricanes have their own plan and often we humans have it wrong.  Let us hope it stays out to sea and away from land.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Appears at this time Dorian is going to pass east of the US coast.  However hurricanes have their own plan and often we humans have it wrong.  Let us hope it stays out to sea and away from land.  

You are correct that hurricanes are not always as predictable as we would like. We live in southeast Florida and we were here when Wilma was supposed to come across the state as a category 1 storm. It it turned out to be a category 4 or 5.

We obviously are hoping the new tracking information is correct.

Edited by Mapu

4 hours ago, Mapu said:

You are correct that hurricanes are not always as predictable as we would like. We live in southeast Florida and we were here when Wilma was supposed to come across the state as a category 1 storm. It it turned out to be a category 4 or 5.

We obviously are hoping the new tracking information is correct.

We flew in for a cruise just a few days after Wilma struck; having always lived in the Great Lakes area, we had never seen anything like that.  Hope you didn't incur too much damage.  Our cruise took us to Cozumel etc.  It was also severely battered by Wilma--the ship had to tender because of severe damage to the pier.

17 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

We flew in for a cruise just a few days after Wilma struck; having always lived in the Great Lakes area, we had never seen anything like that.  Hope you didn't incur too much damage.  Our cruise took us to Cozumel etc.  It was also severely battered by Wilma--the ship had to tender because of severe damage to the pier.

We weathered Wilma well. The worst part was not having power after the hurricane was over. Fast forward to Irma two years ago where we only lost power for a few hours late one night. A Tropical Storm watch has just been issued until 5:30.

3 minutes ago, Mapu said:

We weathered Wilma well. The worst part was not having power after the hurricane was over. Fast forward to Irma two years ago where we only lost power for a few hours late one night. A Tropical Storm watch has just been issued until 5:30.

We had both Wilma and Katrina that year before they tore up New Orleans and Cozumel and Cancun . Wilma remained almost stationary over Cozumel for over 24 hours !

Princess Cay should be OK.

Castaway Cay (Disney)  and Coco Cay (Royal Caribbean) are in much more danger.

I live on Florida's west and when Charlie hit they were telling us Charlie was going to come into the mouth of Tampa Bay but instead it turned into Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and wreaked havoc and came up the center of the state and did a lot of damage. I won't believe the turn until I see it!

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

Those two islands will probably be flattened.

11 minutes ago, fla gang said:

Those two islands will probably be flattened.

Concur.  Had not really realized how far south Princess Cays was.  

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Which islands are those two on?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, fla gang said:

I live on Florida's west and when Charlie hit they were telling us Charlie was going to come into the mouth of Tampa Bay but instead it turned into Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda and wreaked havoc and came up the center of the state and did a lot of damage. I won't believe the turn until I see it!

We were at home in Punta Gorda as Charlie came to visit! It was a memorable experience.

9 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Which islands are those two on?  Thanks!

Castaway Cay (Disney)  -- a little west of the center of Abaco Island

(Royal Caribbean) - a little southwest of Abaco Island

Here's another likely cruise impact.  These private island ports are all in hurricane force winds or strong tropical storm force:

Castaway Cay

Great Stirrup Cay

Coco Cay

If you watch for impact to Nassau, you can assume impact to these is somewhere in between what you see for Nassau and the Abaco/Grand Bahama areas.

Princess Cays is well south.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Castaway Cay (Disney)  -- a little west of the center of Abaco Island

(Royal Caribbean) - a little southwest of Abaco Island

Thanks