Back from EDGE 30th and some answers

Presto2

Hi Everyone,

Well, we had to come home :classic_sad:

Though we will be writing a much longer review, just wanted to let you know some answers to a few topics that were flying around before we left and that we have commented on in the past when we had not sailed on her

So, to be brief. The positives:

1: The EDGE is AMAZING and we think she is the most beautiful ship we have ever sailed on. We actually preferred her to the Silhouette (and that is saying something)

2: The SV cabin we had was perfect - very modern and the décor was perfect for us and not at all drab

3: There was a sun lounger on our balcony when we arrived so no need to ask for one. We just asked that he would leave it there for us. We noticed that most SV cabins seemed to have one

4: Those chairs were actually really comfortable!

5: The sturdy metal table we had in our SV was good enough to be a footstool so no worries there! Not sure what the IV cabins have though

6: There was plenty of storage. We took 22 KGs of luggage for the 2 of us and found that there was plenty of space in the cabin and the bathroom

7:  We actually liked the little 'storage' table in our cabin and made good use of it

8: We also liked the charging 'station' on the desk area and did not need to use the extendable table at all

9: Having seen the IV cabins when walking past we noticed that the SV traditional balconies are far better and the cabin MUCH bigger

10: The music was not too loud and there were plenty of quiet places to sit and have a nice drink or relax

11: The 4 MDR concept worked brilliantly and we loved it

12: She actually looks like a stunning ship despite the MC on the side and the strange front pointy bit :-)

13: We LOVED the Destination Gateway - hubby fell in love with this area - just brilliant

14: The tenders were just amazing

15: The buffet area was brilliant as was the food that came with it !

16: The artwork around the ship is amazing ---- my first stop was Mr Edge and I made a point of saying 'Hello' each day ;-)

17: Embarkation was amazing with the new system - we were though is less than 10 minutes

18: The new app was amazing

19: The new cabin lighting system etc etc -- very snazzy

The not so positives:

1: With a classic drinks package you have still water in small 330 cans and are limited to one each in most bars. In the Sunset Bar we could have 2 each. In the intense heat 330 really is not enough and to be limited to 1 each time you have to queue for a drink at busy bars is a real pain. Premium Package folk can have a larger drink in an aluminium can

2: EDEN - sorry, we really did not like it at all. We were disappointed with how small it was in reality and hated most chairs which seems very uncomfortable. Wandered in there one evening and just did not like the place at all. Just our opinion but there were plenty of other wonderful places to go to so we did not miss it at all

3: A little bit of soot on the aft balconies on a few days but that was more to do with the weather and it was not a problem to us

4: Sadly LPC was a bit rushed at the end which ruined our experience in there

5: My notes would not be complete without comment about those speakers outside on the deck area of Eden Café ! Yes, there are 3 now that play music very late (10.50pm when we were there) so we were very pleased that we had moved from 8292 !!!

6: The final negative is future prices ----- it means that we may only be able to return when it is a very special occasion ….

That's all for now -----

Have to say, we did think of all of our CC friends we have chatted with over the last 18 months since we booked our cruise on EDGE. We came away with serious Post Cruise Blues and just know that we will be back on this wonderful ship again.

Any questions now please ask and I'll try to help.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So happy you enjoyed EDGE.  Which SV cabin did you have?  We will be on 7..middle so hope no soot or  loud sounds from outdoor speakers.* anytjing that would affect  inside our cabin after 11 pm would be a big neg.  Hoping for the best!

What were your favs in the various mdrs.? We have that plan on our  Nov cruise.

Were there any shows or bands that you enjoyed?

Was the small water can on Classic Spring water or the processed ?

Glad to hear from you! I was waiting for something and worried things were not going well, but sounds like you were just too busy to post on your cruise. 🙂

Sounds like a great cruise overall.  How was your anniversary dinner or was that the LPC dinner? We have done LPC 4 times and they all were paced well, but we did have some slow eaters with one experience so it slowed everyone down a bit, since they have to wait for every one - maybe that is why they rushed at the end?

Happy to hear about the loungers on the SV's since I have 3 booked over the next couple of years. 🙂  Did you find the balcony too hot to use as others have?

Sorry you didn't like Eden - it grew on us over time and we ended up loving the place for many reasons (liked the live music against the backdrop of the wake, Eden Cafe, chilling in a quiet venue in the morning and early afternoon). Some of the seating is wonky, but we always found our favorite type of chairs. Obviously isn't for everyone.

That's too bad about the speakers - you would think there would have been a lot of complaints...

I understand the post-cruise blues. I'm happy to have Edge and Apex booked to help. Thanks for the mini-review - looking forward to the long one!!

Edited by vtcruising

Thank you for the SV info! Which cabin were you in? We have 10280 booked on the Apex. We could have had deck 7 or 8, but didn’t know if the sounds from Eden would be annoying.

Did you have a favourite of the four dining rooms?

Looking forward to your longer review!

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

So happy you enjoyed EDGE.  Which SV cabin did you have?  We will be on 7..middle so hope no soot or  loud sounds from outdoor speakers.* anytjing that would affect  inside our cabin after 11 pm would be a big neg.  Hoping for the best!

To say we enjoyed her would be an understatement --- we LOVED her ! Nearly cried when I saw Mr EDGE for the first time and definitely had tears on the last night. Hubby thinks I am soppy --- ha ha.

We had 11270 - it is one that can be part of a suite so we shared a corridor with 11268. We couldn't hear a thing from the Sunset Bar or Buffet outdoor area and that was just above us so really don't think you'll have an issue with deck 7 middle. No speakers I don't think - ha ha. We couldn't hear a thing from EDEN but we were 4 decks up.

We used all 4 of them and though all were good my personal favourite was Normandie - the food was the best for me. Would eat in any again

We liked the guy with the guitar !!! Think he had the name Bryan in his name somewhere, but to be fair we enjoyed all of the live singers. They were all good. We don't tend to go to them

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

Was the small water can on Classic Spring water or the processed ?

The Spring water was St Benedicts from Italy so think it was spring water. Just frustrating re the size and system they have. Ridiculous when water is such a necessity. One thing I forgot to mention was that there were 2 large bottles of Evian in the cabin when we arrived. Thankfully we have cruised before and checked that they were not payable before we opened them. They wre chargeable and we thought that this was not good when it did not say so and they looked like they were free !

15 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Glad to hear from you! I was waiting for something and worried things were not going well, but sounds like you were just too busy to post on your cruise. 🙂

We had problems with our roaming signal on the phone and couldn't get a signal so had to leave it ;-) Had a frustrated husband trying to contact the mobile provider though !!!!

Sounds like a great cruise overall.  How was your anniversary dinner or was that the LPC dinner? We have done LPC 4 times and they all were paced well, but we did have some slow eaters with one experience so it slowed everyone down a bit, since they have to wait for every one - maybe that is why they rushed at the end?

The FCS was lovely and our waiter Danielo was a star. Had a nice cake from them and another cake and wine later in the cruise. Really enjoyed our evening and they gave us a table we had requested. I found the main course a bit rich but that wasn't the restaurant's fault.

For LPC I am not sure what happened but it was all really good and then we suddenly finished with coffees and dessert / voting in about 5 minutes ! Very odd.

Happy to hear about the loungers on the SV's since I have 3 booked over the next couple of years. 🙂  Did you find the balcony too hot to use as others have?

I am a green house flower so did my best -- ha ha. I just recognise that it is the Easter Med in August so expect it to be very hot. That isn't the ship's fault at all. so we knew what to expect. We just took ourselves to the pool to cool down and only used it late in the day. I did think of you a lot as we went to our cabin as you had the one next door I think. I waved to it and said 'hello' for you.

Sorry you didn't like Eden - it grew on us over time and we ended up loving the place for many reasons (liked the live music against the backdrop of the wake, Eden Cafe, chilling in a quiet venue in the morning and early afternoon). Some of the seating is wonky, but we always found our favorite type of chairs. Obviously isn't for everyone.

Perhaps if we'd gone there to listen to the other singers it would have been ok but when we arrived we just didn't like the vibe of it. Each to their own and that is why we loved the ship. So many places for everyone. We fell in love with the Sunset Bar and the Magic Carpet ---- heaven at sea

That's too bad about the speakers - you would think there would have been a lot of complaints...

Strange ---- just so grateful to you and HCat who helped us so much before we sailed. I know that we will be back on EDGE --- will miss that horse so much. When we embarked I told a member of staff my first point of call was 'The Horse'. She looked at me as if I was mad , not know that he has been on my screen saver for months and months !!

I understand the post-cruise blues. I'm happy to have Edge and Apex booked to help. Thanks for the review!!

Will do a more detailed one later :-)

23 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

Thank you for the SV info! Which cabin were you in? We have 10280 booked on the Apex. We could have had deck 7 or 8, but didn’t know if the sounds from Eden would be annoying.

Did you have a favourite of the four dining rooms?

Looking forward to your longer review!

We had 11270 and didn't hear a thing from the Sunset Bar or Ocean View Café outdoor area so I am sure you will be fine.

Those SV cabins are stunning.

Re the dining rooms - preferred Normandie but loved all 4 and would suggest trying all 4. We booked all before we sailed as anyone who hadn't struggled to find a good reservation time. We cancelled one --- easier to cancel than try to book

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We had problems with our roaming signal on the phone and couldn't get a signal so had to leave it 😉 Had a frustrated husband trying to contact the mobile provider though !!!!

The FCS was lovely and our waiter Danielo was a star. Had a nice cake from them and another cake and wine later in the cruise. Really enjoyed our evening and they gave us a table we had requested. I found the main course a bit rich but that wasn't the restaurant's fault.

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

For LPC I am not sure what happened but it was all really good and then we suddenly finished with coffees and dessert / voting in about 5 minutes ! Very odd.

I am a green house flower so did my best -- ha ha. I just recognise that it is the Easter Med in August so expect it to be very hot. That isn't the ship's fault at all. so we knew what to expect. We just took ourselves to the pool to cool down and only used it late in the day. I did think of you a lot as we went to our cabin as you had the one next door I think. I waved to it and said 'hello' for you.

Perhaps if we'd gone there to listen to the other singers it would have been ok but when we arrived we just didn't like the vibe of it. Each to their own and that is why we loved the ship. So many places for everyone. We fell in love with the Sunset Bar and the Magic Carpet ---- heaven at sea

Strange ---- just so grateful to you and HCat who helped us so much before we sailed. I know that we will be back on EDGE --- will miss that horse so much. When we embarked I told a member of staff my first point of call was 'The Horse'. She looked at me as if I was mad , not know that he has been on my screen saver for months and months !!

Will do a more detailed one later 🙂

Thanks for all of the answers!   So happy that you had a nice anniversary dinner! We love that restaurant and I have a reservation on the Apex for the first night. I'm even happier that you were able to switch to an SV - it sounds like a better match for you. Some people are loving the IV's so I'm glad there is a choice - just hope that enough people continue to enjoy them.

I think Mr. Edge is particularly special to those of us who followed the build closely. I still remember the day that the first picture of him was posted and we said "What!" and realized that this ship was going to be a totally different experience. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We had 11270 and didn't hear a thing from the Sunset Bar or Ocean View Café outdoor area so I am sure you will be fine.

Those SV cabins are stunning.

Re the dining rooms - preferred Normandie but loved all 4 and would suggest trying all 4. We booked all before we sailed as anyone who hadn't struggled to find a good reservation time. We cancelled one --- easier to cancel than try to book

We can’t wait to have an SV cabin! We have had aft cabins on RCL before, but never Celebrity. We love them!

My gut feeling is that we, too, will like Normandie best, but we have booked two nights each in Normandie, Tuscan and Cosmopolitan, with one night in Cypress. I agree...better to have reservations and cancel than be scrambling for a table without a reservation.

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I think Mr. Edge is particularly special to those of us who followed the build closely. I still remember the day that the first picture of him was posted and we said "What!" and realized that this ship was going to be a totally different experience. 🙂

I'll never forget when the ship left St Nazaire and he was there with a polar bear or some sort ---- or was it a dream ??!!!

I suppose he has been a symbol of the build up to this cruise and it became a joke that I we sailed out on the first evening, glasses in hand beside a horse's bottom ----- ha ha. Made sure I waved from the taxi yesterday ------ I think the horse personifies the ship and experience. Just loved EDGE and to say that we preferred her to Silhouette is a massive thing for us.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CruiserMickey said:

We can’t wait to have an SV cabin! We have had aft cabins on RCL before, but never Celebrity. We love them!

My gut feeling is that we, too, will like Normandie best, but we have booked two nights each in Normandie, Tuscan and Cosmopolitan, with one night in Cypress. I agree...better to have reservations and cancel than be scrambling for a table without a reservation.

You can have their specials, or the classic Celebrity choices or that evening's menus in all 4 so not a lot lost. One thing I disliked about Cyprus was the music --- very odd. Having been on holiday in Cyprus 7 times we wondered where we had got it from !!!! Very odd.

• Like 2

Just now, CruiserMickey said:

I agree. One thing I went back and changed was that I originally booked Normandie for the first Chic night because it is the most beautiful of the 4 restaurants, IMO, but than realized that I wanted to order the Beef Tenderloin En Croute from the Normandie Exclusives menu. They have rack of lamb and beef tournedos on the first Chic night usually so it would be too hard to choose! I switched it to another night. 🙂

• Like 1

Sorry if this is off topic, but after APEX when is the next ship due to be launched. We have already booked with another cruise line for next August ( a much smaller ship with P&O but we have a soft spot for her and she is older but beautiful). Just wondering what 2021 may offer for Celebrity as we would most definitely want to book early to get a SV cabin again at an affordable price

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I agree. One thing I went back and changed was that I originally booked Normandie for the first Chic night because it is the most beautiful of the 4 restaurants, IMO, but than realized that I wanted to order the Beef Tenderloin En Croute from the Normandie Exclusives menu. They have rack of lamb and beef tournedos on the first Chic night usually so it would be too hard to choose! I switched it to another night. 🙂

Ok...now that makes me want to go back to my cruise planner and try to figure out which would be the Evening Chic nights. Beef Tenderloin En Croute is definitely one dish I’d like to try and beef tournedos are a favourite. 

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I'll never forget when the ship left St Nazaire and he was there with a polar bear or some sort ---- or was it a dream ??!!!

I suppose he has been a symbol of the build up to this cruise and it became a joke that I we sailed out on the first evening, glasses in hand beside a horse's bottom ----- ha ha. Made sure I waved from the taxi yesterday ------ I think the horse personifies the ship and experience. Just loved EDGE and to say that we preferred her to Silhouette is a massive thing for us.

Not a dream.....

image.jpeg.65835e842299cf32219d8082d5ebd81b.jpeg

And there was this guy:

image.png.1a1c24355e2d06df66366a0820fbea47.png

I remember we had some joke going along the lines of "if a polar bear, a penguin and a horse walk into the Sunset Bar...."  🙂

Edited by vtcruising

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Not a dream.....

image.jpeg.65835e842299cf32219d8082d5ebd81b.jpeg

And there was this guy:

image.png.1a1c24355e2d06df66366a0820fbea47.png

I remember we had some joke going along the lines of "if a polar bear, a penguin and a horse walk into the Sunset Bar...."  🙂

Ha ha ha ha, that was it ------ ahhhhh, those were the memories. Making me feel all sentimental again ------ sniff

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry if this is off topic, but after APEX when is the next ship due to be launched. We have already booked with another cruise line for next August ( a much smaller ship with P&O but we have a soft spot for her and she is older but beautiful). Just wondering what 2021 may offer for Celebrity as we would most definitely want to book early to get a SV cabin again at an affordable price

The Beyond is scheduled to be launched Fall 2021. She will be a little bigger than her sisters - they plan to add another section (about 70 feet longer) for the last 3 Edge Class ships. I think she may be the best of the 3 because I don't mind a ship that is a bit bigger, especially if they add more public venues (maybe a wine bar with space for live music or gastropub or both!). I plan to be on her Inaugural, if I'm still around. I am really hoping her cruises will be included this Fall in the new deployment offerings, but likely not as they would have to reveal the new cabins/suites that I am sure she will have in the added section. I imagine they will do a separate offering as they did with the Edge - likely in 2020 after the Apex launch. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 2

Loving this thread...great review format and esp the Q and A....plus all the others comments. We are excited about our Nov return to Edge in the SV.   Ten day ABC itin. A week  in Jan was not enough for this amazing ship!

Have  res  on APEX for Nov 2020,  but may have to let that go in favor of a first time  suite on Connie!   We'll see how APEX turns out  wpuld love a wine bar/ jazz club.

Hope we all keep in touch...fellow EDGIES!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Loving this thread...great review format and esp the Q and A....plus all the others comments. We are excited about our Nov return to Edge in the SV.   Ten day ABC itin. A week  in Jan was not enough for this amazing ship!

Have  res  on APEX for Nov 2020,  but may have to let that go in favor of a first time  suite on Connie!   We,,' ll see how APEX turns out

I'm loving catching up with 'old' CC 'friends' now that we have sailed on EDGE ;-)

Have to say, having been on Connie last year and Edge this year there is no way I would swap a cruise on APEX for one on Connie, suite or no suite. Just me.

I wonder what APEX will have if not a horse …… a polar bear or penguin statue in tribute eh ??!

If Beyond is due in the Autumn (fall) of 2021 then looks like we are looking at 2022 and even for us that is too far ahead to plan.

We can but dream though ….

43 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I wonder what APEX will have if not a horse …… a polar bear or penguin statue in tribute eh ??!

I keep picturing a leaping whale or porpoise - positioned in a similar area, looking as if it is leaping onboard. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Oville said:

Hi, so glad to read you fell in love with the Edge and had a great cruise.  I agree with you about those veranda chairs, they were quite comfy.  Katie

I agree that they are more comfortable than they look. 🙂

As a side note, I hope you have a great trip next week. Is your Florida home all set for any hurricane issues?  It looks like the path has moved.  I know you've been through it all before, but it still must be difficult each time a hurricane hits.....

41 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I keep picturing a leaping whale or porpoise - positioned in a similar area, looking as if it is leaping onboard. 🙂

Personally I like donkeys ----- ha ha

• Haha 1