Breakaway to Western Caribbean 9/1 in Haven

graphicguy

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

WHAT?  Who said the cruise is cancelled?

My TA confirmed the early embarkation a couple of hours ago.

NCL hasn’t said anything to me.

I’m sitting in MIAMI now.  It’s not even breezy.

Is this a joke?

Sorry GG, wish it had worked out differently.  I had my fingers crossed. ☹️

This really sucks for you. Hope you can find a nice place to stay and be safe. (Find a place with a good bar... think you might need it, 😉 )

Cheers

I’m on the breakaway now. And they’ve changed our arrival 4 times now. We were told at 7pm that the port is closing at 10pm tonight and have denied us entry. The captain said he doesn’t know when we will be able to come in. It’s really been a cluster F. Sure hope they have enough booze. We’re gonna need it. Sorry about y’alls Cruise. Lesson learned as this is my first problem ever like this. I should’ve packed more medicine.  Good luck to y’all.  

• Like 1

Just now, hootie414 said:

I’m on the breakaway now. And they’ve changed our arrival 4 times now. We were told at 7pm that the port is closing at 10pm tonight and have denied us entry. The captain said he doesn’t know when we will be able to come in. It’s really been a cluster F. Sure hope they have enough booze. We’re gonna need it. Sorry about y’alls Cruise. Lesson learned as this is my first problem ever like this. I should’ve packed more medicine.  Good luck to y’all.  

Hope you'll be ok.  It's definitely a lesson regarding cruising in Hurricane season, right? Not sure that many even know which HS is...  The Atlantichurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th ... 

I cruised June 30th and had no issues but I think, the later in season, the more potential for storms. 

Stay safe everyone. 

12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The port of Miami is closing tonight without knowing when it will reopen.  It could be as late as Wednesday.  The Breakaway is not allowed to dock tomorrow so they are stuck at sea.  Its really horrible.  Its not NCL, is the port of Miami that pulled this stunt.

David...appreciate your outlook, but as I said before, instead of leaving embarking passengers to wonder what was going on 2-3 days ago, when the reports of the storm possibly becoming a major weather event, and cancelling the cruise, they drug their feet.

NCL at least could have said “those of you coming in for the cruise, hold tight until we have a CLEAR CUT AND SAFE WAY FOR YOU TO ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

Yes, it’s a big and unpredictable storm.  But not once did NCL contact me and gove

me any sort of guidance.  The first I heard ANYTHING personally came from my TA.  They said we’re a go.

NCL HAD TO KNOW THAT THE PORT, AT BEST, had a 50-50 chance of closing.

AGAIN.....nothing has been communicated to me....you know....a Platinum Latitude customer, sailing the Haven (not that that has anything to do with it).  MY NCL and my edocs still has me cruising tomorrow.

Not including the cost of the cruise, I’m about $1,000. (as it stands, wasted dollars) into this vacation with nothing to show for it.

As you can tell, I’m livid at  NCL.  They were too afraid they’d miss the revenue for this cruise to cancel.  Well, now it’s going to cost them even more.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, hootie414 said:

It it is like last year, the 7-day Beverage Package runs out after 7-days. Then it’s flavored water from the buffet 

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

David...appreciate your outlook, but as I said before, instead of leaving embarking passengers to wonder what was going on 2-3 days ago, when the reports of the storm possibly becoming a major weather event, and cancelling the cruise, they drug their feet.

NCL at least could have said “those of you coming in for the cruise, hold tight until we have a CLEAR CUT AND SAFE WAY FOR YOU TO ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

Yes, it’s a big and unpredictable storm.  But not once did NCL contact me and gove

me any sort of guidance.  The first I heard ANYTHING personally came from my TA.  They said we’re a go.

NCL HAD TO KNOW THAT THE PORT, AT BEST, had a 50-50 chance of closing.

AGAIN.....nothing has been communicated to me....you know....a Platinum Latitude customer, sailing the Haven (not that that has anything to do with it).  MY NCL and my edocs still has me cruising tomorrow.

Not including the cost of the cruise, I’m about $1,000. (as it stands, wasted dollars) into this vacation with nothing to show for it.

As you can tell, I’m livid at  NCL.  They were too afraid they’d miss the revenue for this cruise to cancel.  Well, now it’s going to cost them even more.  

I feel your pain and cant imagine how you feel only hours ago posting photos from your flight to Miami expecting your cruise that you verified was happening. I don't take issue with your complaints.   The storm was/is unpredictable.  But Miami-Dade has been out of the cone of concern since 5 am this morning.  The track got better during the day.  I am not a Coast Guard Commander but I have NEVER seen the port of Miami close when Miami-Dade is NOT under a hurricane watch or warning.  This came out of nowhere.  If the port had announced this earlier, I could understand.  But the port announced this as clear skies were in Miami and no weather issues reported in Miami.  What could NCL do?  This is a surprise to many.  It makes no sense IMHO and imagine the port will open within 24 hours.  With the port saying no timetable, NCL had no other option but to immediately cancel.  Those onboard are also blaming NCL but this is ridiculous IMHO. The havoc caused for no reason.  The old rule of thumb was MIA and the port of Miami stayed open until sustained winds of 40 mph.  WTH is this?  NCL did not cancel the cruise.  They were forced to cancel the cruise.  There is nothing stopping smooth sailings south of Miami except the port of Miami. Also, why not allow the ship to disembark?  Just wrong IMHO.  NCL was cleared to dock by the port of Miami when they announced the early embarkation thus the NCL announcement.  Then the port of Miami pulled the rug out.  Its just wrong.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

That’s just the thing....NCL HAS NOT cancelled anything with me.....Earlier in the week, yesterday....today.....nothing....until my TA sent me the blurb I posted this afternoon!

They communicated NOTHING....not about the port’s possibility of closing....not about anything!

I could have done something about it yesterday, and even today, it NCL texted me, called me, emailed me, stating “hey, this is looking dicey. Don’t show up until or if we tell you”.

Instead, I had to track them down on the WEB SITE, only to see them telling me to hold on until I hear further from them.  Even then, they were let with their “updates”.

I’ve been a staunch supporter of NCL....here and other social media outlets.

It’s not how well you do when things are going smoothly.  Anyone can do that.  It’s when things go sideways and how you react that makes you a good company.

I don’t know if I should try to get a flight out of here ASAP so I don’t get trapped, or show up at the pier tomorrow morning as my TA says I’m supposed to do?

All because they’ve kept us in limbo since this whole thing started.

i refreshed the page and it stil says Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing
Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the departure schedule for the September 1, 2019 voyage on Norwegian Breakaway has been revised to accommodate an earlier check-in beginning at 9 a.m. All guests must be at the port by 11 a.m. or sooner, as the United States Coast Guard will be taking all necessary precautions to prepare the port for closure later that day, in advance of the storm.  The ship will sail her original Western Caribbean itinerary.

This is latest on NCL website:

HURRICANE DORIAN UPDATE

Hurricane Dorian – UPDATE: August 31, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST (1:00 AM UTC)

The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority. We continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean and are in constant communication with the United States Coast Guard, as to any necessary itinerary changes.  As such, we have modified the following itineraries for Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Sun.

Norwegian Breakaway – August 25, 2019 Sailing
Norwegian Breakaway departed Cozumel, Mexico early this morning, August 31, 2019 for her return to Miami, Florida on September 1, as originally scheduled.

Norwegian Breakaway – September 1, 2019 Sailing
Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, the departure schedule for the September 1, 2019 voyage on Norwegian Breakaway has been revised to accommodate an earlier check-in beginning at 9 a.m. All guests must be at the port by 11 a.m. or sooner, as the United States Coast Guard will be taking all necessary precautions to prepare the port for closure later that day, in advance of the storm.  The ship will sail her original Western Caribbean itinerary.

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That’s just the thing....NCL HAS NOT cancelled anything with me.....Earlier in the week, yesterday....today.....nothing....until my TA sent me the blurb I posted this afternoon!

They communicated NOTHING....not about the port’s possibility of closing....not about anything!

I could have done something about it yesterday, and even today, it NCL texted me, called me, emailed me, stating “hey, this is looking dicey. Don’t show up until or if we tell you”.

Instead, I had to track them down on the WEB SITE, only to see them telling me to hold on until I hear further from them.  Even then, they were let with their “updates”.

It’s not how well you do when things are going smoothly.  Anyone can do that.  It’s when things go sideways and how you react that makes you a good company.

I don’t know if I should try to get a flight out of here ASAP so I don’t get trapped, or show up at the pier tomorrow morning as my TA says I’m supposed to do?

Get a rental car and drive to Fort Myers/Naples and hang out there for a couple of days and enjoy the beach. Weather should be fine on the west coast of Florida.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I totally understand how upsetting this has been, however, consider that this storm has been as elusive as a cat on a hot tin roof.   I certainly agree that their communications have been horrendous and that they should have a better system for keeping their valued customers advised of what's happening with their cruise. 

Nothing can be done about their lack of communcation now, however, I'd certainly let them know how disgusted you are regarding your emminent cruise. 

Since it's unlikely you'll get a flight out before the morning, I'd go to the port anyway in the hopes that they did lift the ban and allowed the ships to port. 

Lord knows, with this mess, anything can happen. 

Fingers still crossed and positive thoughts still heading your way. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Again....thank you all for letting me vent.  I’m on my 2nd bourbon.  So, that may have something to do with it.

Lots of conflicting information out there right now.  

All I’ve been able to find are some Carnival

ships who requested to dock at Canaveral and being denied.  And, their itineraries has to be changed as a result.  Don’t k ow why they were denied, but they were.  And, it wasn’t Port of Miami.

Even Port of Miami has nothing official regarding closing (except what NCL has posted on their web site).

Weather here (Miami) would have to change dramatically in the next 12 hours for it to be anywhere near even a thunderstorm.  That’s not to say it can’t change overnight.  But, I’d be shocked if it would be significantly different enough to close the port at embarkation at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow.

I’m going to the pier at 9, as they requested. If I’m turned away, NCL IS HQ’d in Miami.  I’ll have some time on my hands.  I’ll pay them a visit.

• Like 6

I’m wondering if all your updates from NCL were going to your TA instead of to you.

NCL hasn’t been clear about refunds like RCI has, but I’m thinking that if you cancel your cruise, you should at least get future cruise credit for your entire cruise and have your pre-paid packages, port fees, taxes, etc. refunded. If you take the shortened cruise, then your refunds will be prorated. Plus, you’ll have to pay for three extra hotel days. You’ll be out the airfare, but you might be able to get part of that refunded, too. Of course, they could also say that you should have gone on the shortened cruise.

14 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

My friend on the Breakaway just texted me and is upset as well. Their arrival time has been changing all day and now he says it’s Wednesday. I’ve learned after having vacations canceled in Florida this time of year.  Never again in late August and September.

Finally got a text to call a pre recorded message stating the cruise is modified to a 4 day cruise sailing out 9/4.

What?  I’m supposed to hang out for 3 more days and wait?

NCL is in a full blown cluster.

i read where they banned someone for contesting their cruise fare charge.  They’re going to have to ban me, too.  

Who in their right mind think this is a good idea?

NCL has cost me over $1,000 by not being straight with me, not including the cruise.

Looking for flights back home.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

I am so mad that NCL is trying to get away with this idiocy.  Cancel the entire cruise already.  Take your lumps for being incommunicado and proposing this BS.

BTW....DOES ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND REALLY THINK THAT IT WILL BE ALL CLEAR ON 9/4?

Who the heck is running this circus?

• Like 1

Kick it in Miami until the cruise.  Weather forecast looks favorable.  All the extra expense may be covered under your travel insurance's trip delay.

Port of Miami went to Yankee as of noon today.  That's not full closure but all cruise ships have to get out and only ones with permission can enter under that condition.

NCL did your entire sailing wrong.

9 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Kick it in Miami until the cruise.  Weather forecast looks favorable.  All the extra expense may be covered under your travel insurance's trip delay.

Port of Miami went to Yankee as of noon today.  That's not full closure but all cruise ships have to get out and only ones with permission can enter under that condition.

NCL did your entire sailing wrong.

Appreciate the thought.  But, not my idea of fun to stick it out through, at best, will be a major storm, at worst, a hurricane, in Miami.

Every other cruise line was up front.  NCL was secretive, withholding important information, and what little information they did come up with was too late for anyone to reasonably react to.

Given all that, I don’t trust them to even make the Sept 4th sailing, as it’s predicted with the slowness of the storm’s progress, it still would be here by then.

I’m not expending any more time, nor money on this fiasco.  As it is, I’m probably going to have to fight  NCL for months to be made whole again.

• Like 2

Please update what they are offering to everyone when you find out. Since all the other lines gave some form of advanced notice I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a 100% cruise credit from NCL.  I hope they do the right thing and offer the $ back.

49 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Please update what they are offering to everyone when you find out. Since all the other lines gave some form of advanced notice I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a 100% cruise credit from NCL.  I hope they do the right thing and offer the $ back.

Since NCL made such a clusterf*** out of the situation and didn't communicate things like other cruise lines I think at the very least they should offer a 100% refund plus 50% future cruise credit. They screwed up. All these people could have stayed home had they communicated earlier in the day like the other cruise lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Since NCL made such a clusterf*** out of the situation and didn't communicate things like other cruise lines I think at the very least they should offer a 100% refund plus 50% future cruise credit. They screwed up. All these people could have stayed home had they communicated earlier in the day like the other cruise lines.

The cruise is operating. By contract signed by passengers, no refund beyond reduced days is required. The port closed earlier than discussed with coast guard.